Mortar auto range/ammo bug

Abidubi

I was just playing on the Iota server at 9:25 eastern under the name Shadow, and I found a wierd bug. I was using the heavy mortar and trying to pick someone off far away, out of visual range, but I was never killing him. By that time I must have dropped about 8 shells on him and he didn't even know I existed. Then I looked at my ammo counter. HE-H was selected, but had 10 rounds. HE-L had 0 :confused:

I called down a resuply, and continued fireing. Then I noticed all my shots were landing at the edge of my view. I took a look at my turret, and it was at about 45 degrees. Moving my crosshairs over the mini-map, the selected ammo would change as normal, but the angle of the turret was always fairly low. I switched to manual range and as I increased it futher and further the turret all-of-a-sudden popped up to around 80 degrees with the HE-H selected. So I guess there was some bug that was selecting HE-H as it should, but not loading it. And it is odd because the range mode was auto and the turret knew that there was HE-L loaded, even though it knew to change to and idicated HE-H.

I've noticed that it's easy to get this to happen by dropping on the hill in the southeast of the Raid map in a mortar (the hill with the ion tower on it) and firing over towards the southwest flag area. When you target the western half of the area, it starts firing HE-L and missing completely, even though the ammo display will have HE-H selected.

Really interesting idea that maybe it has something to do with the terrain clipping range. As it stands I'm just treating the bug as a maximum range and trying not to exceed it.

I really don't think so. It was only half way across the map. I'd have to check in game what the max range of the mortars are by just increasing manual range till the turret don't lower any more. I'll go back to the ice map and see if it reoccures. And I wasn't able to fire ANY HE-H rounds. If I moved the target until it change from L to H, even at that very limit, I was not able to fire. And I'm sure I've fired further than that.

Sry.... Guess I was wrong. Upon further testing, it apears that I was "just" out of range. Tried shooting about 9000m when the max seems to be about 8500. But kinda wierd that it fires an HE-L instead. Should inticate that it is out of range you clay mentioned, but I think it should also disallow fireing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by combatplus2:

My own problem: I can almost never switch ammo types in a mortar vehicle. + and - don't work for me like they do in any other vehicle.

Roger that, Combatplus2. Played a dedicated server game today for about three hours, in an MBT w/heavy mortar. Could not once switch ammo types. Kept having to back off and call for resupply and just keep using the same ammo type.

So, Yurch, is what you're saying is that it's not intended to be able to switch ammo types in a mortar vehicle?

Another weird one - one time the resupply dropship simply would not disengage from me, no matter what. Ended up quitting and coming back in.

yes it's intentional that you cannot switch ammo in the mortar. it switches automatically depending on the range.

yes it's a bit confusing for the first time. maybe a popup help message should appear when you manually try to switch ammo in a mortar.