Combat Mission: Gold

I floated this idea in a couple of other forums after reading this , but thought I'd introduce it here.

Who would be interested in a CM:Gold disc, which would have all three theatres of CMX1 included (with no new features) - Normandy, Italy/Africa and Eastern Front?

It could bring all the CMBO scens up to date with death clock and MG modelling, etc., and the advantage that CM:Gold would have was that once CM:C was released, it could interface with CM:Gold instead of CM:BB and therefore be applicable to all three fronts and be a lot more popular to a wider variety of CMX1 gamers.

[ August 19, 2007, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Sound idea. I'd buy it. Never happen.

It seems such an easy idea to generate income for BFC with relatively little effort that it must have occurred to them. So it involves more effort than we imagine or it's likely to generate less income than we think or they believe they can make more money with CM:SF or they are more interested in coding an new engine than exploiting the old one. Hope I'm wrong.

folks have been asking for an updated cmbo for years, steve ain't listening

know how you can tell?

they released a niche product called CMSF absolutely no one was asking for

just try and sit down with anyone you know that's into wargaming at all and try and pitch the idea of CMSF w/o falling out of your chair laughing at the absurdity of it

so there's your answer in the form of released product proving the company ain't paying attention

even better, not only are they not listening to their customers, they aren't listening to them when they take the time to actively start threads like this one over and over on their own freaking forum telling them what their customers want

again, it makes me laugh out loud, it really does

this is the sort of info marketing depts KILL for, here it is sitting here for free to be acted upon, and all we get in return are tantrum responses saying in effect, piss off with this CMBO nonsense

Of course I'd buy it.

And I wouldn't wait for it to hit the bargain bin, either.

I would also suggest using a blatantly transparent, mindlessly catchy title like Combat Mission: D-Day. Americans would know what it was and would be more likely to buy it.

It would also give us an excuse to start a thread about re-tooling CM slightly to better represent amphibious operations (i.e. landing craft and gun boats). Which would open a can of worms -- how about bridge demolitions with prepared explosives? Finns fighting against Germans in 44-45? Vichy French (used in France, North Africa, and Syria) and French resistance ? Indians and Moroccans (and a toggle switch to allow certain units from one side to have an alternate set of dark faces). And of course this would lead to people asking for a representation of armored warfare in Europe from 1939-1941, which would then solve the problem of those one-size-fits-all captured French tanks. And to have a few of those luscious multi-turreted Soviet tanks (and maybe an armored train or two) would be absolute heaven.

CMx1 should have covered the whole war and been a bit more like a three-dimensional version of Steel Panthers. Even if it didn't cover the Pacific, it could have been more complete than it now is -- a system illustrating the evolution of armored warfare tactics in WW II.

I really hope that CM:SF is a commercial success, and my guess is that it will consume all available attention and energy for the next year or so. But I don't want to wait twelve years to see BTS execute the fantasy outlined in the previous paragraphs for CMx2. Mainly because I know that long before they get to the comprehensive portrayal of WW II phase, they'll abandon the product and start working on CMx3.

Steve probably believes that if he listens to us he won't be able to feed and clothe his camo collection. He may be right. But we can still dream.