CMC = Vaporware?

Anyone else think this is vaporware? Seems like little news, little action on the forum, few threads, etc. Also, once CMSF comes out, that CMx1 engine is going to look a lot worse than it already does. IMHO, it would be better to aim for some sort of integration with a future release than to cling to the old engine. I would have bought this game now, not so sure about Q1 2007 or later.

Originally posted by Hoolaman:

It's because the first beta game is still going!

Remeber there will be 5? 10? 20? CMBB PBEMs in sequence per CMC battle, that ought to take three years or so just to finish the beta testing games.

True, true. If CMC is fully playtested, I expect to get my hands on the game just as I move into Sunset Senior Living Retirement Community. It will give me something to do with the last 5-10 years of my life.

If CMC is done, I don't understand why there needs to be so many mysterious postings about the blinking thing. Either there is a release date or their isn't. If there isn't, then people need a clear indication of what stage things are really at. Hardly seems a good way to treat a loyal fan-base by treating a reasonable desire for information with so little interest, given that the knowledge is actually there. If anybody thinks this thing will EVER appear, then presumably you are in the know and can also give us a date. I suppose we then we will have to start guessing what the purchase price is going to be. Sorry to sound a bit negative, but this completely unnecessary lack of information is pointless, and is likely to result in people just moving on to other games.

Why not take a chill-pill, relax, lay back, occupy yourself with something else while waiting for the game to come out ?

The devs probably have a good reason for the game not being out yet. There a probably a thousand good reasons. Not many of us here are game developers and as such I don't think can really understand how troublesome it is to come up with a classy, finished product.

And let's face it, I always prefer waiting to get a classy product that keeps me occupied for years in comparison to something that is crappy, buggy, and will not last on my HD for very long.

There are lots of good games, why not check them out while you're waiting ?

This was blogged in the end of June.

Not to lomg ago in the software world:

Posted by: Battlefront .com 6/29/2006

I just spoke with Bruce Poon from Hunting Tank Software today about Combat Mission Campaigns. The guy is insane, you know, trying to create this monster game. His place in the CM Hall of Fame is secure already, just for being insane enough to try, and even more insane to really be determined to finish it, too :)

After a problematic last year when a member of the core team left and therefore a serious setback to the schedule, things are moving forward very smooth these days. Many, many bug-fixes are being applied, and a few huge steps have been made in the inter-communication between the CMC application and CMBB thanks to a few additional lines of code from Charles. We now have FOs appearing and planes as well. Graphics are getting an additional boost by the addition of noone else but Marco Bergman to the team, doing his usual magic with the countless unit graphics.

As we’re nearing the next milestone with big steps, expect more news soon… and perhaps I’ll convince Bruce to start a blog himself, too, eventually :)

Moon

Not vaporware, just taking a LONG time to be finished. Keep in mind that Bruce + team has been working on this 2 years before we even announced it! The original programming was done for CMBO. Progress is slow but we're getting there. The next beta due out soon (and, again, delayed...) will be a major milestone.

You guys have been very patient so far and it will not be for naught. Development often is not linear, meaning that initially nothing seems to be happening and then it accelerates a lot towards the end. Additional setbacks have troubled the team in the past, but things are looking good around here.

Martin

Well, it's nice to hear that my sentiment is shared by some on this board. Also good to hear from Moon that things might pick up, though I still fear not in time for that CMx1 engine to look really creaky in comparison to CMSF. I was originally considering CMC as sort of interrim entertainment while waiting for CMSF, but it looks like now it will come out after, which kinda dims its prospects for me, though I respect that others are waiting for this explicitly.

Managing expectations seems to be a persistent issue on these boards, possibly because Battlefront is making so many more games these days than in the beginning of this decade. While it is nice to hear about a product on the horizon, it becomes increasingly frustrating if that idea doesn't materialize very quickly after that, and we get no feedback on progress. This was the case until very recently with CMSF, and I was one of the main complainers.

Now that Steve is posting on several threads a day, I think many of us are satisfied. Maybe it isn't good to build up expectations too soon until like the preceding 6 months before the demo, just my 2 cents.

Patience is a virtue when it comes to waiting for these new games. But at least we've got prescedents for successful releases.

Strategic Command2 and Down In Flames were a LOOOONG time coming but they finally got here. Drop Team and T72 seemed to come a bit quicker but it still felt like it could be measured in geologic timescales. Grognard's been circling for a landing for a long time now but nobody doubts they'll make it in.

Then there's "Modern Naval Battles: World War II At Sea". Coming up to the 2 year anniversary of the announcement of that game. I hope the developers have kept thier day jobs because they'd otherwise be pretty hungry by now.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Hoolaman:

It's because the first beta game is still going!

Remeber there will be 5? 10? 20? CMBB PBEMs in sequence per CMC battle, that ought to take three years or so just to finish the beta testing games.

Or the auto-resolve featured could be used instead....whichever... </font>

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t understand all the drama with the release date.

I mean who really cares when the release date is. I have been playing CM since the early CMBO days and have been dreaming of the day that BF would develop a serious approach to the campaign short comings.

Well here it is in living color, A way to play out a campaign on CMBB (my fav of the three BTW). Of coarse I want it now , but do you really think its productive to start a thread that the game is vaporware.WTF is six months to a year more, get serious you will as every one else still be playing CMBB by then. Look at what’s being released out there that is trying to compete , is there a better alternative to CMBB that I am not aware of?

What is the point, do you really thing the developers are going to look at this thread and say to themselves, Ok, the forum members go our number, just give them what we have.

But I do agree with the sediments of the forum on the issue of total lack of updates, be realistic , no one is so busy that its hard to find the time to type a few lines once a week to their loyal fans.