Victory Flags on the tactical map

Philippe

I've been thinking about some of the quirks of the CMBB tactical AI in relation to flags, and have been wondering how (or how well) this is going to work.

In a two-player tactical engagement there won't be a problem. But I can imagine that there might be problems playing solitaire. Won't the AI-controlled forces tend to cluster around the flags on both offense and defense? And if there aren't any flags at all in tactical CMBB terms (assuming that the flags might only exist for purposes of CMC), won't the AI-controlled forces tend to mill aimlessly about the map?

It might not be a bad idea if the scenario designer designated a few strategic locations on each map (in addition to the central control points) for the AI to cluster around.

I've toyed around with various player-designated flag schemes, but most of them would lead to weird results.

So I think it might not be a bad idea if the designer checked out each potential battle area and simple designated certain spots as what the AI would be likely to want to fight for, if it were intelligent.

I'm assuming that control of these spots wouldn't have much (if any) impact on victory, just on AI tactical behavior.

Yes, this definitely needs to be looked into, otherwise I would know the wherabouts of about half the units the enemy AI controls. And the other half would most likely be streched a few hundred meters in front of the objective. Any FO with a long targeting time could simply dump it's load onto a flag area as a matter of course and take out a significant portion of the enemy without them ever being engaged.

Originally posted by Philippe:

-SNIP-

I'm assuming that control of these spots wouldn't have much (if any) impact on victory, just on AI tactical behavior.

Like any CMBB game, control of the flags definetly has impact on the out come of the battle. From that I'd assume battle results would be cumulative for the overall CMC game results. Maybe each CMBB battle result also affects thangs like leadership rating of the folks in the battle.