Where The Heck Did This Thing Come From

Peterk

OK, I've got my Sherlock Holmes hat on tonight.

I've been trying to get a campaign thingie going for quite a while now. My last effort, an attempt, to do a huge battle of Stalingrad, with a Java app not too much unlike CMC ended with me ripping all my hair out in frustration trying to get CMBB to build the OOB's for a generated battle (by simulating mouseclicks all over the damn place).

So I decided to check into who actually did manage to get his grubby little fingers onto CMBB's innards where all the rets of us failed.

He's from Melbourne of all places (great town...go Blues!) so proximity can't have anything to do with it.

Early on he couldn't even figure out operations!

posted August 13, 2000 09:06 AM

"I made a map and an Operation but I can't really make it work the way I think it should."

Huge gap between 2002 and 2004 which is where me may presume CMC was being done????

Then in June 15, 2005 12:21 AM in the When will the Operational Art of War meet Combat Mission thread...

"Who would be foolish enough to build such a campaign system anyway? Must have rocks in their heads :)"

The b*stards at BF knew about this thing all along! This thread is actually quite interesting to read now, lots of hints/teases about this game given out.

Anyways congrats Hunter. Still can't figure out how you managed to do it. Must have been incredibly frustrating. Tip of the hat from one programmer to another. Get a move on though...my brain is starting to hurt from playing ASL and I can't wait to ditch it for your game.

They got Charles to write the data import/export interface into CMBB, essentially creating a new CMBB executable which will ship with CMC. No screenscraping or funky java mouseclicks required. PeterK, that you even attempted that says something about your fanaticism regarding CM!

This might sell a few thousand copies to weirdos like us, so it truly is a "labor of love" as moon or hunter or matt said. But what do I know, maybe the CMC/CMBB combo will become the next classic.

And look what I found on the Net:

"Pixel Artist Required at Hunting Tank Software

Friday, February 11, 2005 - 2:06:36 PM. Posted by *submitted*

Pixel artist for a 2d based strategy game (think civilisation type graphics) required in Melbourne. The kind of work will be:

- Creating Pixel artwork for a tile based PC Strategy Game, using Adobe Photoshop

- Work with existing graphics to create new game tiles ie. can you change a regular building into a war damaged building, using just 20 pixels?

- Development of UI components in cooperation with our UI programmer

The job will be full time or near full time, working from home on your own gear at least part of the time.

Experience with a similar role, preferably in gaming, highly desirable.

For more details, please contact Bruce Poon at hunter@.....com."

And another one from February 2003:

"Hunting Tank Software is looking for an additional analyst / programmer =

to work on our first title, a turn-based WWII Operational Level Wargame.

Candidates should have knowledge and experience with (in order of =

importance):

- Python

- XP (Unit Testing, Pair Programming, Object Oriented Design and =

Programming)

- Pattern Programming

Familiarity with wargames of this genre would be useful.

The position will be Part or Full time (to be negotiated), and will =

involve work in the Melbourne area (Brighton and CBD) and possibly some =

work from home.

Could anyone interested please email me, hunter@......com or give me a call on XXXXXXXXXX."

;)

[ October 14, 2005, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]

"Pixel Artist Required at Hunting Tank Software"

"Friday, February 11, 2005 - 2:06:36 PM"

Judging by the screenshots they got that position filled.

Yea, I wish they had used standard NATO icons and a 2d top-down map, but then i'm an old school wargaming nerd. I can live with the cute horsies and stuff. Bring on the campaign!

I think it worked the other way around: what Steve said, that they don't have any plans on doing a strategic layer was their plans.

Then Hunting Tank developed the operational concept and so much of the game, that they could impress BFC with it.

Since CMC offers solving the battles in CMBB, but can calculate the results without, the interface programming of Charles, was just an add-on, after BFC recognizing, that CMC's operational concepts seem worth it.

If i'm right, this would show an exciting direction of CMC: the operational layer is not only a needed element for campaigning, but instead it is in it's complexity a game on itself, and the solving of battles in CM is only a (tremendous) bonus.

The recent comments by Moon, about the modeling of the command-net, seem to support that.

I wouldn't be surprised anymore, if CMC will not do a more or less weak operational job, just for making campaigning with CM possible, but if it will do it so much better, we never dared to imagine...

[ October 15, 2005, 01:58 AM: Message edited by: Steiner14 ]

Pair Programming, if it's what I'm thinking of, is quite a cool concept. Basically 2 people work on one piece of code. This enables each to spot check the other and lets them bring 2 times as much brain power to bear.

Guess why it's not the norm? Yup $$$. So if that is what they're doing then kudos to them. It's quite a commitment.