Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Cornered units

I am wondering if there should be a moral state for units which are in a situation they have no other choice than to stay where they are and fight on. For example soldiers trapped in the upper floors of a building or in a building from which there is no way out (all exits under enemy fire). Many times such units might surrender, but then again if US squad was trapped for some reason, I don't think the chances of surrender would be high. Same goes for many Syrian units.

At least it would be great to have the units have a better sense of danger than in CMx1. In real life running out of a heavy building to open terrain which is under fire of enemy units isn't a likely outcome. Nor is routing to an ongoing barrage of the enemy. This kind of sense is ofcourse really hard to do realistically, but to improve it from CMx1 should be doable.

These trapped units might pose a big problem for the attacker. It might be that they can't do anything else than wait for the enemy to clear the building. But even if one might be able to clear buildings with relatively low casualties it takes a lot of time and ammo (grenades) to do so. Leaving them behind isn't an option. These trapped units might fight even better than "OK" units while their morale level is actually worse than panic.

I'd say that if the AI works as i think it should then a unit should be able to determine what is the higher risk, staying put and being killed soon or being killed now.

As far as I am aware, everyone runs from fire in CM no matter who they are, so if that feature is in CM:SF in some way, then in theory there is a method of calculating "Threat v Fear" which could allow it to happen.

Sometimes in CM it's abit like the end of "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid"....

Peter.