No sound contact?

Miska

Is there sound contact anymore like it was in previous CM games. In my recent game my squad walked right front of the T62 tank guns which was behind ridge and they noticed that tank when they saw it and were gunned down. In my opinion they should have hear that tank much earlier (i used hunt command).

I have yet to notice anything along those lines but must say that I prefer the CMSF sound contact model, which seems to limit voice contacts to a much more reasonable range than in CMX1, wherein you could pick up conversations clear across the battlefield. It isn't perfectly what I have in mind, though, because you can still hear enemy sounds if you position the map reference near them. So, it seems that the sound is much shorter range, but still independent of where your friendly ears are.

How much of the deafness do you think is related to battle noise? Depending on recent conditions (e. g. ongoing or recent artillery or firefight), it might be quite appropriate for troops to be deaf to local sounds. But, I am guessing that the instances you are referring to are during "all quiet" moments and that you had the camera locked to the unit? Hmmm...I wonder if civilian density also reduces the noise contact range...hmmm...

Sometimes units appear totally deaf. Once there was some enemy infantry on the roof of a three story building. I sent some infantry of my own from ground level to roof to see if there was still someone alive there because nobody was shooting anymore. Once they got to the roof two opponents were still there, not wounded. A fire fight soon started and one soldier from both teams died. While this was taking place the last enemy soldier didn't react at all even though bullets were flying maybe 5 meters behind him. He kept watching some static Humvee maybe 100 meters away. There were no other battle sounds at the same time. No any other action either.

On the other hand when I targeted this last fellow in the corner, my own soldier wouldn't notice him either. He kept looking at wrong direction - maybe the center of enemy squad. Only after a long wait did he notice the soldier in the corner.

unseen_enemy.gif

[ September 03, 2007, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: SlowMotion ]

Out of the two problems in my scenario I think it's quite strange that my soldier doesn't know where the target is even though I've already managed to target it and he has LOF. Shouldn't he just look what's in the other end of the red line?

I'd understand this not noticing part if he hadn't spotted the enemy yet, but all soldiers on the roof are visible.

"But, I am guessing that the instances you are referring to are during "all quiet" moments and that you had the camera locked to the unit?"

Yes, there was no gunfire or anything else battlenoise in background, that squad was recon squad in a recon mission and all was quiet in a eastern front.

The whole contact/spotting system needs more work. With all of the strange things such as super delayed spotting of very large/obvious targets right in front of many units and units not being able to target known active enemy targets due to some problem with them being behind a little bit of concealment. A vehicle should be able to target a unit behind cover or concealment if it is spotted, so the vehicle could direct somewhat accurate fire with the intention to penetrate concealment. It also would be nice if sound contacts were used almost exactly as in previous CM titles. I really thought that was a well desinged and intuitive system for illustrating sound contacts.