Will vehicles be able to reverse for self preservation behaviour?

Originally posted by jBrereton:

Bit easier said than done, seeing as quite a few ATGMs travel faster than the speed of sound if fired from under a couple of miles, no?

AFAIK incorrect. The majority of ATGMs are subsonic. AT-3, AT-4, and AT-7 definitely are. On the US side, both the Javelin and TOW are subsonic. In fact, off the top of my head, I can't think of a ground-launched ATGM that is supersonic. My knowledge is not extensive, so it wouldn't surprise me if there are a few supersonic designs out there, but in any event the common types represented in CMSF are definitely subsonic.

There are some air-launched ones that are supersonic, but that's a different ballgame.

Cheers,

YD

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by YankeeDog:

AFAIK incorrect. The majority of ATGMs are subsonic.

Agreed.

AT-3, AT-4, and AT-7 definitely are. On the US side, both the Javelin and TOW are subsonic.
Sounds right to me.

In fact, off the top of my head, I can't think of a ground-launched ATGM that is supersonic.
Well I know that the 9K112 Kobra round (AT-8 Songster) has an average speed of about 360-ish metres per second over a couple of miles, and hits a target at 4000m away in about 11 seconds.

That said, it's not exactly the kind of thing that Syria is going to to particularly well-endowed with, and probably makes a pretty bastardly noise, to boot.

Well..as former FDF officer (Finland, that is), my experience with Tank Commanders I know was that if you cannot fire 2 rounds during 10 secs of exposure, you relegate your loader to be clerk or something. If he cannot load that way, he does not belong inside MBT.

It's OK if he cannot keep that as *sustained* ROF, but any reasonably well trained loader (at least in Leo2A4) should be able to reload few rounds in 4-5 secs each...sort of "burst fire".

• 2 months later...

Well, I think Steve mentioned an improvement to the Tac-AI was planned for the 1.07 patch that would make APC crews be capable of retreating if they spot tanks coming their way. So this should really help prevent light armor from just sitting there and getting killed by tanks.

M1A1TankCommander: Cool pictures of you in the M1 tank. smile.gif It would be good if tanks in CM could attempt to avoid incoming anti-tank missiles that they have spotted being fired. smile.gif

What worries me is if auto-reversing isn't implemented, then how it will be in future patches?

Because this movement needs supplementary LOS checks around the vehicle to get the best out of LOS position. Isn't this LOS check need an important effort in coding and testing?

I may be wrong, so that's why I asked BFC if this feature could be easily implemented.

Stryker firing at T72 with M2 kills the immersion in WEGO mode.

• 11 months later...
Please provide us with some authoritative evidence which substantiates your claim that one of these vehicles is capable of firing 10+ rounds per minute from it's main gun. I will not quible as to the environment. A practice range is fine, Grafenwoehr, wherever. Please, just throw us all a link.

PoE

I'm going to post a link to a YouTube clip. It's a two parter but the first part shows average load time for two quick rounds. The only reason the gunner isn't firing faster is because the targets are getting dead.