"Insurgents Use Thermal Bombs on Humvees"

Doesn't look like those kids know how to properly use RKG-3's...it works well when thrown at a (preferably stationary) target and allowed to descend via small parachute unto the weak top armor.

These guys throw it directly at the speeding Hummers, probably making for not much more then a lot of smoke and knocking off some gear from the sides at most.

gota love that soviet stuff - almost 40 years later - and still works like a clock.

as for this incident i think its overkill - these are Anti Tank nades and hammi is NOT a tank no matter how much armor plates u upgrade it with. :eek:

[ June 06, 2007, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: unsobill ]

Wasn't aware these were in use. Scary! Can't say I'm terribly impressed by the alertness of the Hummer column, either. The impression I got was that vehicles were watching straight ahead while paying no attention to what's happening on the flanks. Since the pre attack actions by the throwers were pretty obvious and furtive, I'm surprised the column just cruised on through and seemingly did nothing.

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Wasn't aware these were in use. Scary! Can't say I'm terribly impressed by the alertness of the Hummer column, either. The impression I got was that vehicles were watching straight ahead while paying no attention to what's happening on the flanks. Since the pre attack actions by the throwers were pretty obvious and furtive, I'm surprised the column just cruised on through and seemingly did nothing.

Regards,

John Kettler

They are smart enough to attack only the last vehicle on the column.

It is getting worst every day.

Originally posted by Ivan Drago:

Doesn't look like those kids know how to properly use RKG-3's...it works well when thrown at a (preferably stationary) target and allowed to descend via small parachute unto the weak top armor.

These guys throw it directly at the speeding Hummers, probably making for not much more then a lot of smoke and knocking off some gear from the sides at most.

Ive seen a high-res version of this video.

Even at close range and using a 'direct-fire' method of employing the weapon the drogue 'chute appears to deploy properly, the warhead hitting nose-first.

Chilling video indeed.

That last humvee looks like it was obliterated, I'm pretty sure I saw large pieces of it flying through the air.

It's fairly ironic that music is included in this vid, as Islam specifically prohibits singing and the use of musical instruments other than drums/percussion and chanting.

MikoyanPT,

Being Tail End Charlie sucks. Period. Doesn't matter whether it's ambushing a column or bombers striking a target. What I don't understand is why none of the preceding vehicles in that column showed any apparent interest in all that furtive behavior going on in plain sight. The last vehicle got hit, but the earlier ones should have been paying enough attention to at least train their weapon stations in the direction of a pretty obvious threat. No way, IMO, should the last vehicle have been caught flatfooted.

Panzerfest,

How'd you manage that, praytell?

NoxSpartana,

Was unaware that this was generally true of Islam.

SOFAIK, this was some Taliban mega distortion.

Hard to believe that this is prohibited.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oud

Regards,

John Kettler

Looks like the tactic is to justpower on through at speed when moving in Humvees.

Given it's only lightly armoured I'd say that was the best tactic even if the last Humvee is vulnerable.

Whats the alternative bringthe column to a halt every time you see someone acting suspiciously near cars at the side of the road.

How much ground would you cover then, how long would it take to move supplies and worst of all just how vulnerable would you be to RPG's if you came to a halt.

The US doesn't have the time or the manpower to pacify every route and the insurgents know it. One option might be helicopter cover, but then we know how strtched they are and how vulnerable in a built up area.

Peter.

Peter.

Our general tactic is to blaze on through at speed now, because most IEDs are being set off by triggermen and also because the bad guys are once again combining IEDs with small arms ambushes. Their tactics change from month to month and accordingly so do ours. 3-4 months ago we were going slow in order to allow our counter measures time to catch and pre detonate radio or IR triggered IEDs,so the bad guys switched to manual control. Now we drive fast to try to throw off their aim and timing. Next month who knows....

Originally posted by NoxSpartana:

It's fairly ironic that music is included in this vid, as Islam specifically prohibits singing and the use of musical instruments other than drums/percussion and chanting.

Speaking of Islam as a whole, this is not generally true. Some radical sects of Islam do put severe restrictions on music (as they do just about everything else. . .), but most Muslims, have no problem with melodic instruments or singing, as such. In fact, melodic music plays an important role in religious ceremonies for many muslims.

For one example of a more mainstream perspective on the relation of music to Islam, you can go here:

submission.org web page on Islam and Music

[Disclaimer: This is a prosyletic Islam website, I am making no endorsement of its content. But if you want to get an Islamic perspective on something, best to take it from the horses's mouth, I figure. . .]

Painting Islam with a broad brush, using the beliefs of the more radical sects like the Taliban, is no more more likely to lead to useful insight, than attempting to understand Christianity only through the beliefs of radical sects like the Branch Davidians.

Cheers,

YD

I dont see much suspicious in the videos. The convoy isnt watching the attackers through the camera, contrary to what some people believe, you dont just shoot suspcious people. And the attackers went from nonhostile to tossing grenades at the last vehicle in a matter of less than 5 seconds. Not really enough to react speeding down a road like that.

Eventually, these guys were probably rolled up. Seems like they were tryin their luck very obviously.

Just because parts of the humvee go flying like the hood etc doesnt mean the vehicle was destroyed.

Originally posted by PLM2:

Just because parts of the humvee go flying like the hood etc doesnt mean the vehicle was destroyed.

I must agree. I've seen plenty of humvees that looked really *%&$$^ up on the outside that were relatively intact inside.

Originally posted by tiny_tanker:

The big problem is that all of them look suspicious! There were probably little knots of people at many other side roads they passed, you can't single out each group and make them disperse as you drive by, you'd never get anywhere.

On the money TT, there are groups of people on the side of every road during the daytime, the only ones we stop and check are the ones digging or overtly doing something suspicious. Our main concern is vehicles, between IEDs, car bombs, and the way these people drive the roads are exciting to say the least.