So, who's disappointed?

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Modern warfare sucks.

it's more or less then empire vs the serf.

and saddly the serfs tend to kick the empire in the nuts before it ends.

A superpower vs a 3rd world ****box isn't fun to watch on the news and doesn't make a compelling game to those who enjoy the tactics of WWII, or even war prior to that, when a war of manuever was key.

maybe it's cause i can't relate to it. I found out in College ROTC my thinking of military matters was dated, and this push-button army we have today I hold no passion for.

Pretty much had no interest in Balkans of Fire as it's a flash-bang simfest

CM:SF hopefully will be better than i am reading tonight. but I am fearfully of a modern flash/bang fest over something that has real substance.

OK OK OK Gosh Dangit. I've made a decision. I've decided to buy the game on the assumption that it's going to be a quality product FOR THE SOLE REASON THAT BY PLEDGING TO DO SO THAT I CHEESE OFF A EUROWEENIE WHO RESENTS HAVING TO PLAY AS THE U.S.!!

Of course my previous reservations still stand and I am a bit loaded but THIS DOES NOT SWAY MY FIRM STANCE ON PRINCIPLE!

I have spoken, gimme the friggin game.

BFS5

Originally posted by dalem:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Zalgiris 1410:

I can't believe that some BFCs expect all us foreigners and the Germanophiles including those in North Anallier to be comfortable having to reduce ourselves to US Forces (and minor Arab Allies AIUI and WTF does anyone want to play them for - including most Arabs to be sure) especially cosidering all the veriety of CMx1. :(

So BFC is forcing you to buy their next game exactly how? And if they are not actually forcing you, then why react so venomously? It is, in the end, just a game, and your CM:BO, :BB, and :AK CDs will still work just fine even after CM:SF comes out.

I am discusted on this issue, this is not a case of me primarily US bashing,

No, of course it's not.

but a lower gut reaction to this kind of another example of commercial US arrogance and imperialism, I had thought better of them to have disgraced themselves with this myopia. :eek:

Righto, commercial U.S. arrogance and imperialism, but no U.S. bashing.

I suggest that CMx2 ought to be tagged McCMs until they become more broad in scope and less so full of saturated US greesy fat. :mad:

I suggest you go write your own WWII game and leave the rest of us to rational discourse.

-dale </font>

But from where I stand military history and wargaming has taken a back seat to mass appeal, especially to the U.S. market. In effect, BFI has effectively decided it can sell more games to friends and fans of the modern U.S. military, than it can to an international audience of military history grogs and wargamers.
I really wish people wouldn't disguise their dislike and ignorance of our decision making process as some sort of Grand Conspiracy theory. We did not choose CM:SF for its mass appeal characteristics any more than we chose the second game to be WWII for similar or opposite reasons. Sure, we picked something that wouldn't likely have us flipping burgers 6 months post release, but that was true for all the previous CM titles. The only differnce here is some people don't like our choice of topics. That's fine and expected, but enough already with the conspiracy theories and demeaning language. It really makes such people look rather selfish and irrational, not to mention grossly unfair.

Steve

Zalgiris, try coming form a country who's forces are represented in about 1 in 20 wargames...then youd have something to complain about smile.gif . Personally Ive never understood peoples concerns about playing another 'sides' country such as he Russians in CMBB as for me the game is about tactics, not national pride, but I guess its something I am used too, hehe.

Dan

Originally posted by Zalgiris 1410:

I'm not a computer programmer so sorry I can't take up your last suggestion Dalem and I'll have to live with out that!

I did qualify myself adequitely enough I thought when I said that I wasn't 'primerily bashing' Americanism in my post but some of it was unavoidable in this case.

Well, you were obviously incorrect then, weren't you?

BTW Dalem the BFCs are forcing me not to buy these McCMx2s and that's my OS warning.

They aren't forcing you to do anything - they are presenting you with a product and you are choosing to not buy it. Last I checked, BFC never promised us a rose garden and we are under no obligation to walk in it if they did.

Perfectly reasonable of you to express your opinion of their product offerings, but there's no reason to be such a dickweed about it, is there?

-dale

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by moneymaxx:

It seems that even the US army doesn't know exactly if and when improvements of the amour protection will be apllied but that is of vital importance to the game (can a RPG destroy it or not and under which circumstances? I think the army won't tell BFC).

Actually youd probably be surpsied what info is available on such topics if you look....in some ways its actually easier to find accurate info on modern gear than on certain WW2 weapons and vehicles. For instance we already have documents on exactly the above topic from real world combat situations (from publically available sources too).

Most problems with the Stryker were actually proposed before it went into combat. Its been in combat for about a year now I believe, and crews have been very happy all round with the vehicles capabilities and survivability.

Dan </font>

Dalem you just don't understand what it feels like to live in a Country that's practically the 51st State!

O.K. I admit that my use of the word 'force' for what the BFC were doing to me was wrong, but I used it for effect. Obviously neither they nor anyone else is forcing me to buy or not to buy McCMx2s, however they are making their descisions that indirectly shall limit my choices in the free market as a consumer, yada yada.

Now while I lay down on the couch I'll have to start to work through my CMx1 fixation issues, but I'm not paying you or the BFC $100 an hour!

...but I don't wanna pee Dalem's pants. Even if he FedEx'd him to my house for this very purpose. Some things are just plain wrong. I demand the privilege of peeing my own pants should the inclination occur during the play of the CM:SF demo.

BFS5

however they are making their descisions that indirectly shall limit my choices in the free market as a consumer, yada yada.
How so? You're perfectly free to purchase (or bitch endlessly about) any game you happen to choose. How does our strategy affect your choice? Or do you think you should be able to walk into a car dealer and drive away in a Mercedes for $15,000 simply because you don't like economy cars at that price but didn't want to pay a penny more for something better?

If there is a problem with your choices, don't blame us. If you don't like our development strategy, make your own wargame company and figure out how to make very expensive games for ungreatful people that want to pay you 1/10th as much as they are worth. That would be a refreshing change.

Steve

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Personally I've never understood peoples concerns about playing another 'sides' country such as the Russians in CMBB as for me the game is about tactics, not national pride, but I guess its something I am used too, hehe.

Dan which 1 in 20 Country are you referring to, Britain purhaps?

Nien, nien I don't go the Russians in CMBB out of some feeling of national pride, I'm half Lithuanian so it can't be a matter of national pride to go the other 'side' for this Germanophile wargamer. I choose to go 'sides' including the Russians or the minor Axis in CMBB and all the different Allies in CMAK for all the different force structures and equipment and feel etc for re-creation and recreation.

BTW for an Aussie strangly I prefer going the NZers in CMAK because IMO their black and white shoulder patch looks cooler. So I ask you where's my National pride?

Edit: I'll take your abuse BFC since I deserve it, but please excuse me 'cos I've mucked up my meds! My main issue in the post above is with the free market not with you per se, it's a bit of a leftist student hangover, speaking of which... :cool:

[ October 09, 2005, 12:09 AM: Message edited by: Zalgiris 1410 ]

I'm really amazed that they would turn away from their core group of patrons so easily like this and putting out the modern game/module before the ETO WWII 44/45 game/module. <scratches head>

Well, I know what I like and I don't like or care for modern combat games of any type, so, I guess I'll be another one of those waiting the long time for the 2nd game/module.

Creative Assemby did much of the same thing with RTW when they increased the combat speed to that of olympic atheletes and routs at the touch and drew in a larger "rts" crowd at the expense of alieniating their core based crowd of MTW/STW, though with Barbarian Invasion it appears they made a slight move backwards to something more reasonable in combat speed and ai performance.

Now, what to play for the next 2 or 3 years before the good WWII game/module comes out? (light bulb) Civilization IV & V. Maybe even Combat Leader by Matrixgames will be out before then, then it won't matter how long it takes Combat Leader is going to rule them all. ;)

Originally posted by Barrold:

...but I don't wanna pee Dalem's pants. Even if he FedEx'd him to my house for this very purpose. Some things are just plain wrong. I demand the privilege of peeing my own pants should the inclination occur during the play of the CM:SF demo.

BFS5

Trust me, if I like the demo I'll be peeing your pants.

-dale

Dalem you just don't understand what it feels like to live in a Country that's practically the 51st State!

Apparently I don't - where I was raised we had a thing called "courtesy".

O.K. I admit that my use of the word 'force' for what the BFC were doing to me was wrong, but I used it for effect. Obviously neither they nor anyone else is forcing me to buy or not to buy McCMx2s, however they are making their descisions that indirectly shall limit my choices in the free market as a consumer, yada yada.

Absolutely untrue. The market is not monopolized in any way.

-dale

This is supposed to create some sort of enthusiasm or anticipatin for the release of the demo? Just thinking about the sort of release that the release of the demo might bring results in hives, shock, and a general malaise.

I'm going to have to lay down after such a jolt to the system.

BDH

BTW for an Aussie strangly I prefer going the NZers in CMAK because IMO their black and white shoulder patch looks cooler. So I ask you where's my National pride?

Hehe, well if you are not concerned about which side you play to the point youll pick this one with the pretties arm patches, why the concern ;) ?

When I mentioned the 1 in 20 I meant the Aussies actually, hehe, as we rarely get s look in...Im do used to playing the US, Brits and Germans that I dont even think twice about it anymore. :D

Dan

I would have thought that it was more like 1 in 200 or 2000 for us Aussies and other CW dominion Countries.

BTW I don't no the words to the Australian National Anthum, I can't get past the "Our land is girt by sea", line nor get over it, hehe.

But then again that is the definition of how a patriotic an Aussie ought to be on the matter of singing let alone knowing those words to be sure.