So, who's disappointed?

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Disappointed...not exactly. I think Steve's rationale for the decision is understandable. I wish nothing but success for all of their products.

Am I tingling with excitement to buy the first game? No and I might let it pass, but I am still likely to buy the Napoleonic game they're publishing instead while I wait for the second CM title.

I think the screen shots look pretty good, but I'm just not too excited for the setting or the speculative story.

So not a full 'Meh', but I'm trying to keep my mind open to see how it turns out.

BDH

I'm firmly in the "will try the demo and read the reviews before deciding to buy" comlumn. I was interested in T-72, but a look at the demo and a list of the techical complaints dissuaded me quite quickly.

Way too early to tell on this one. The fictionaly story line doesn't sell me either, but if this game gets the same buzz as say that U-Boat game got in our own GF, it will likely grace my hard drive in short order.

I, for one, couldn't care less for the subject matter. Syria 2007? Whow, man, even Norway 3020 would be thrilling in comparison. :mad: Let's see if they even can squeeze the PBEM in it...

However, I have to admit that I had lost my hope a month before. Even if it was about Eastern Front, it probably wouldn't be as fun as CMx1 is.

Well, I'd much, much rather have WW2. I will try the demo and wait for the reviews.

WW2 would have been a 100% for sure buy, this is a who knows... I'm definitely not going to be checking back here like I used to.

The CM series was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had and I was as excited as anyone about the next one. But, given the subject matter and style, it is a downer I have to admit.

So, I will wait and see but I don't care like I used to that's for sure. Maybe in a couple years when the second title comes around I'll see how things are going.

Oh well ... good luck and thanks for the years of fun with the CM1 series ... /sigh

Originally posted by Leutnant Hortlund:

Guys we have to buy it.

Otherwise there will be no second module. Remember that.

I think your sense of humour is too dry for mere mortals to grasp. :D

I bet if we all passed on this title, they would get desperate for money - and instead of going out of business, would merely put out a meat and potatoes WW II game with the new engine so fast it would make your head swim! :D

The "second module" won't be about WW2. The second game will be.

The second module might be US Marines, or Space Lobsters (I predict they will be having an elemental role in the Syria 2007 war). Personally, I wouldn't mind if they scrapped the modules for it and moved on to more interesting subjects. :mad:

I must admit the screenshots don't fill me with confidence. I had hoped the CM series might be following a different path, but I'll reserve judgment until I've seen the demo. But my feeling right now? A little deflated, as if someone pricked that rather lovely CM bubble and it shrank and shrivelled and fell onto the carpet. I just hope that the more we see of the game, the more it's heritage emerges.

Quit yer bitchin, its gonna be good.

Think of it this way, CMx1 was good becasue of Steve and the rest of the BFC team. Not beacsue of the setting.

There have been a whole lot of bad WW2 games, but BFC made a good one.

I imagine there talents do not only cover simulating combat ranging from 41-45. Just remember who we are talking about here. They have proved themselves very compatent in the past. I will assume they still are unless given CONCRETE (ie a bad game on my hard drive) evidence indicating otherwise.

I am interested in modern warfare so I am not disappointed at all although I am very surprised at the choice of location and scenario.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

MD, how do you know this is a fictional setting? [big Grin] What you saw me reacting against was rewriting of history (i.e. a Cold War that never happened) or future scenarios that have about as much chance of happening as I have of being the Queen of England [big Grin] It is no accident that we picked this setting rather than inventing a country (like Full Spectrum Warrior) or a pure fantasy scenario (BF2). What we chose is entirely possible and therefore about as real as can be without actually having it happen.

In that light, the OPFOR is based on forces that exist today, or are very likely to exist by the time 2007 comes along. We are not taking creative license to invent things that aren't likely to happen. That is the big difference in what we are doing vs. some of the ideas that have been floated on this Forum (France vs. Germany for example).

Steve

I do not believe that the Syrian scenario outlined has any likelihood of happening. It is as much fiction as a new German vs France war (or at least Britain vs France anyway ;) ).

Simply from the perspective of available forces, US and Allied troops are so committed at the present (and likely long into the foreseeable future) that there would be no way they could take on another major operation. Even if they could, from a domestic political position, I do not believe the US will be able to return to the Middle East when / if the Iraq campaign is finished.

In fact if you are going to simulate this kind of warfare, why not do away with the fictional story and just set the game in present day Iraq or would that be too politically and morally challenging for the audience?

Originally posted by belasarius:

I'm disappointed in you people complaining about the next great combat sim game. :(

Grognard: a soldier of Napoleons' Old Guard; a veteran soldier; grumbler (French) - Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd ed

Grognard: (slang) an experienced wargamer - John Young, Strategy & Tactics magazine

All the best

Andreas

Originally posted by Dillweed:

Think of it this way, CMx1 was good becasue of Steve and the rest of the BFC team. Not beacsue of the setting.

Quit bitching about our bitching and keep your opinions to yourself. It's not up to you to decide what I like and what I don't like. :mad:

CM is good because it is CM. This, however, is a whole different potato, on so many levels and mostly in a bad way. Not only the setting, but also forces involved, scope and scale.

Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dillweed:

Quit bitching about our bitching and keep your opinions to yourself. It's not up to you to decide what I like and what I don't like. :mad:

CM is good because it is CM. This, however, is a whole different potato, on so many levels and mostly in a bad way. Not only the setting, but also forces involved, scope and scale. </font>