1.0.3 - IED way too weak, or humvee way too strong

Yair Iny

Hi,

I can't, for the life of me, kill a hummvee with an IED. I set up a test mission with a humvee driving down a road in a valley with a turn in it. Behind the turn is a veteran uncon with a huge IED. He blows it right on the humvee, and gets killed or wounded from the blast himself. Then I look at the results screen - US, 0 wounded, 0 killed. Go to the map, all is well with the humvee...

Yair

How do I tell if it is up-armoured? It is from a supply platoon if that means anything...

I took a screenie of the moment of detonation, andthe operator explodes it quite early, even after I adjusted his experience to elite... I will try to post it here.

Edit: and here it is.

IED.jpg

[ September 01, 2007, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: Yair Iny ]

You can kill those Humvees with an assault rifle, no need for F-15 smile.gif I think someone from Battlefront wrote recently that they are investigating IED damage. It seems too weak if you compare it to crater size. Sometimes the whole APC/tank falls into the crater, yet usually it climbs up with maybe little track damage.

Originally posted by Yair Iny:

How do I tell if it is up-armoured?

LOL I was just making a joke. There was a huge uproar here in the states a few years back about the humvees not being up-armored...I figured your guy made it through 'cause they finally got some.

Mord.

John Kettler wrote:

"What's a mud bogged Hummer got to do with IED effects, please?"

Ok, they weren't dismounting because of IED explosion.

The photo I linked above was meant to show what I thought would happen in situation shown in that CMSF screen shot. The explosion makes a hole in the road big enough for the whole Humvee to fall into. Probably at least 2 meters deep. I don't know what would happen if a real Humvee fell into that kind of pit, especially if driving even close to its normal road speed. If you or anyone else knows, let me know.

After browsing that "Humvee stuck in mud" thread I found a picture that shows some tracked vehicle that has fallen into something, maybe bomb crater, I don't know. Here's that picture again - Do you think this would be more realistic?

armymil200702270914405emh1.jpg

There was a photo showing Humvee damaged by an IED somewhere here in forums, but I couldn't find it anymore. The person who published the photo wrote that it was their units vehicle. That picture would give some idea of the damage. If someone can find a link, please post.

[ September 01, 2007, 04:14 AM: Message edited by: SlowMotion ]

My experience in Iraq is that a "normal size" (1 x 155 HE shell) IED needs to go off directly next to or underneath a Humvee in order to penetrate the crew compartment and inflict casualties. (Assuming the Humvee is buttoned up). The M1114 with uparmor kit is well protected against shrapnel and blast damage at anything greater than point blank range.

Now, "tank busters" can kill a Bradley or even an Abrams with a point blank hit. The shaped charge IEDs will kill vehicles by hitting their side armor. Another scary attack is the AT mine or double stack AT mine. But in general IEDs do not direct the blast effect effectively - so anything greater than point blank range is much less effective.

Also keep in mind that some IEDs are super lame. Either buried too deep, surface laid (easy to see) or even made out of a flare artillery shell (some insurgents can't read I guess). Timing is a big issue as well. Many of the bad guys are scared ****less of US combat forces and just want to clack off their IED and run for it.

Battlefront - American units should be able to shoot at and destroy surface laid IEDs with machinegun fire. This was SOP for us in Iraq.

That is all well and good mate, but if as you say, an IED needs to explode directly under the humvee, wouldn't you expect an elite operator to get it to do so?

At the end of the day, there is no logical reason why an elite operator of a huge IED cannot kill a humvee which it spots first. And not once in a while, it is never able to kill it. Just take half an hour, create a simple scenario in 5 minutes and run several tests, you will see what I mean.

Cheers