Civilian Taxis and Sedans in the game: Anybody else pick up on this:

The promo web site is BRILLIANT :D , thanks, I drank it up like morning coffee this morning. I was thrilled to wake up to it.

now.... from the list on new web site:

Civilian and Unconventional Threat Vehicles

Pickup (Technical, variously armed)

Pickup (Transport)

Taxi

Sedan (with and without Improvised Explosive Devices)

OK, so everybody knows there are no civilians, but it looks like there will be civi vehicles: "Sedan (with and without Improvised Explosive Devices)".

Now correct me if I am wrong, but I don't recall a thread discussing the possibility that civilian vehicles would be modeled such that there may be parked cars (sedan) and LOTS of them and one of them may or may not have a IED in it. So does this mean there will be civilian traffic or just parked cars??

Does this mean the Syrian player can move decoy sedans around, (like simulating civilian traffic) that are not carrying IED's and move other civilian vechilces around the road system that could be carrying IED's? (Taxi's or Pick-ups?)

Or are they all only parked?

wondering?

(have we ever had any clarification on this in the past bones offered up here?)

-tom w

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

Does this mean the Syrian player can move decoy sedans around, (like simulating civilian traffic) that are not carrying IED's and move other civilian vechilces around the road system that could be carrying IED's? (Taxi's or Pick-ups?)

Or are they all only parked?

I don't know anything, I just read this forum, but I'd guess that the vehicles are parked. I couldn't imagine civilians driving around in their vehicles when there's a Syrian/US shooting competition going on.

And as a Syrian player I wouldn't be too interested in driving around in sedans, IEDed or otherwise. Parking them around and then blowing them up on remote control, well, that's another matter altogether. ;)

I guess what I want to know is can the Syrian player move sedans (many many of them like civilian traffic) around on the map if they don't have an IED in them....

the feature and vehicles list implies the syrian player will have control of sedan's with IED and sedan's without IED's (decoys I presume.)

so I am curious...

-tom w

Civilian vehicles are used by Unconventional troops. One of the things that was noted in Fallujah was enemy fighters being moved around by taxicabs. They would literally pull up to the curb, the fighters would get out, open the truck, and take weapons, ammo, explosives, etc. out of them. At which point the Marine sniper watching the whole show would proceed to make sure that particular taxi was done.

Steve

could VIED placedsay as along the road along with dummy vehicles with say an ambush marker(from CMBO or covered arc)and then it would gun up the engine and rush a vehicle to attack it

of course the allies would have thermal to see if the engine is running(countered by having the engine off but takes more time to get to target)

unbuttoned might spot the driver waiting giving more time to spot(countered by snipers,claymre type mines

allied snipers on overwatch countered by roving units out searching for just this

Civilian vehicles are covered under the same rules as certain Uncons. Meaning, they are very hard for the US forces to spot unless the Syrian player is doing stupid stuff with them. When they do appear, they are always considered hostile.

Civilian vehicles can be "parked" and contain VIEDs. They can also be driven around and then detonated. They can also be suicide VIEDs as well.

Steve

Speaking of VBIED's, did any of you happen to catch the segment on Krakatoa, Dr. Sydney Alford's answer

to defuzing these things? About the size of a large briefcase, the device uses explosives to shape water into a high velocity blade so powerful that it not only stopped detonation from occurring, but threw the trunkload of shells well clear, making them easy for EOD to deal with, likely using another of his toys, Vulcan, a specialized magnesium lined plastic housed shaped charge which burns the explosives out of a device before it can even detonate.

Regards,

John Kettler

Before we get too excited about 'technicals' lets remember the usual life expectancy of a mg Jeep in CMx1 . :D 'Assymetric' warfare in CMSF seems to be expanding steadily, one supposes because BFC is discovering by trial & error that it can be done effectively. It sounds like Red-on-Red games have the possibility of being wild affairs. Imagine commanding one of two 'jihadist' groups going at eachother with everything they've got for control of a few city blocks.

Have decisions been made about car type, or will it be just 'looks something like a Toyota' generic for legal reasons? I was surprised to see in the proposed vehicle list the large number of unarmored humvee types (I'm assuming they won't be Iraq-style uparmored). I'm sure whatever problems the red team is going to have utilizing civilian taxis on the battlefield we'll have equal trouble with our cargo truck Humvees - except they do at least have armored glass windshields.