My units are nuts!

Since v1.07 my units got a bit to self-confident and perform random moves from time to time.

In some cases, when for instance a Stryker gets attacked by RPG and than without orders throws smoke and retreats there seems to be some kind of logic behind it. But many times under fire they perform moves that make no sense at all. This is very frustrating since you not only have to think about your next steps and designate targets for your units but now also have to watch that they stay at the fcuking place they're supposed to.

Is this some new feature or just a bug?

The new vehicle defence AI does some odd things sometimes. Example - I had 4 Bradleys enter along a road as reinforcements on an urban map. The point Bradley was fired at by an RPG that missed. This was at the start of the turn (WeGo). It spent the next 50 seconds popping smoke and reversing madly down side streets away from the threat. The other 3 Bradleys stayed put and took out the RPG team rapidly. Now in real life I would expect the Bradleys to work in unison. I would not expect one to career off into unknown territory leaving his team behind. From this example it did not look as if the AI had any concept of friendly forces around it - it simply saw a threat and retreated. Hopefully these kind of things will be refined over time.

Originally posted by afreu:

Since v1.07 my units got a bit to self-confident and perform random moves from time to time.

In some cases, when for instance a Stryker gets attacked by RPG and than without orders throws smoke and retreats there seems to be some kind of logic behind it. But many times under fire they perform moves that make no sense at all . This is very frustrating since you not only have to think about your next steps and designate targets for your units but now also have to watch that they stay at the fcuking place they're supposed to.

Is this some new feature or just a bug?

That's soldiers for you! smile.gif

afreu,

Actual incident in Jerusalem from the 1967 Arab-Israeli War. Israeli recon jeep unit with .50 cal MGs runs into an Arab tank unit. Jeeps let fly with the MGs, but both sides flee. Why? Jeeps don't want to fight tanks, especially in the city with nowhere to hide. The tankers figure they're already under HMG fire and see no point in advancing into something heavier, say, 106mm recoilless rifle armed jeeps firing HEAT, which could kill them.

Look on the bright side. Most of your guys did something useful!

Regards,

John Kettler