lock up question

I'm using an iMac SEDV with 192 megs of ram and installed the software recommended in the manual to turn off backside cache.

Here's my problem and only happened once so far. Did a quick build, pretty much using the default settings. On about 3-4 turn the computer locked up while in the middle of a movie. Before it had locked up during a set up phase and using the directional keys.

Sound was playing and everything seemed fine, except the computer locked up. I thought the powerlogix install was supposed to prevent the lockups, or is this a different issue.

Or better yet, is it just a one time fluke. Just thought you guys might want to know about this.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Buckeye:

Stupid question, but did you install the system extension that came with the software? And then reboot? I did both, and it hasn't been locking up on me like before (I have an iMac DV SE w/ 192 megs RAM also).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, did all the stuff I was supposed to. I'm hoping it's a one time thing.

It again locked up on me. This time during a move phase. just locked up while drawing the move. And I know that I had the backside cache shut down. Not a big deal thanks to the autosave function, but I have to reboot machine because of it. Any ideas? I double and triple checked to make sure the extension was loaded and you can tell that it is during startup.

Did you start the software and actually turn off the cache? I assume you did, and I'm not trying to insult you, just asking. If you did everything right, then I'm not sure what the problem is. Could be some kind of extension conflict. Try minimizing your system, so that you only use the extensions you absolutely must have.

Our machines are identical, and I haven't had nearly as many lockups as I did before deactivating the cache. In fact, I think it's only happened once since then.

For me, lockups virtually always happen during the orders phase. I did find, before I installed the cache software, that saving regularly helped (reduced the number of lockups substantially, and also made it easier to get back to where I left off if needed).

Good luck.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Buckeye:

Did you start the software and actually turn off the cache? I assume you did, and I'm not trying to insult you, just asking. If you did everything right, then I'm not sure what the problem is. Could be some kind of extension conflict. Try minimizing your system, so that you only use the extensions you absolutely must have.

Our machines are identical, and I haven't had nearly as many lockups as I did before deactivating the cache. In fact, I think it's only happened once since then.

For me, lockups virtually always happen during the orders phase. I did find, before I installed the cache software, that saving regularly helped (reduced the number of lockups substantially, and also made it easier to get back to where I left off if needed).

Good luck.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope doing everything that I'm supposed to. The lockups are a few less but I figured that the Powerlogix software might prevent any lockups. Most of my lockups have been during the order phase also, that's why the one during the movie seemed a little weird. Believe me, the lock ups are no where near lessening my enjoyment of this game. It's just a pain at times.

As the originator of the disable backside cache "fix" I have always been dubious about my finding. It just does not make sense to me that it should work. First of all, the results of this "fix" were on a G3 upgrade card, not a "real" G3 system, so I don't know how well it works on an iMac.

Here are some useful suggestions, I hope.

The "proper manner."

Take several days off and run Conflict Catcher to track down the extension conflict. You may have to "play" CM several times for each run since the problem is intermittent. If you succeed, e-mail me immediately.

(not so) Quick and Dirty

(The voodoo dance and incantations)

Run Apple Disk First Aid or better DiskWarrior.

Rebuild the desktop.

Turn off VM if you have enough ram. The Appl say it uses about 3.5 Meg but the About System shows it uses closer to 45 Megs.

Upgrade all of your system using system updater and Quicktime updater, or do the same manually.

If you are using Extension manager, make a duplicate of the basic standard set and name it CM. Disable anything you think you won't need. Most Control Panels seem to be OK. You will need to keep Game Sprockets, Quicktime and ATI extension. Note: some of the ATI extensions can be real killers like the Rage 128 ones if you don't have a Rage 128 type card. Also some of the off screen video management.(Sorry, I don't remember them off the top of my head.)

In desperation, reset the PRAM. http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n2238 http://www.yale.edu/macguide/Procedures/PRAM.html#Other

Warning, this will screw with your system clock, network settings, etc. There are PRAM utilities out there such as techtools.

And also try that backside cache thing.

I had some other games (Tomb Raider II), I don't recall if CM was one of them, that do not like some of the extensions on my son's iMac. Doing the above "helped." Although as of last night, he was complaining of the game crashing/freezing. I have not done the proper incantations on his iMac yet.

Good luck

PS

Also try deleting the CM pref file and, Charles favorite, lower the screen resolution.

[This message has been edited by pford (edited 06-27-2000).]