The weapons sound like pop-guns

The game looks awesome (apart from the laser-guns which are allegedly being tweaked for the final release) but the sound it awful. The guns don't make a loud, meaty bang. They sound more like a piece of potato shooting out of a spud-gun. Surely, part of a realistic battlefield experience is munitions-noise so deafening that you virtually need earplugs?

I hope this is tweaked for the final release. How thoroughly disappointing if it isn't.

First of all, keep in mind that any sound you're hearing in those videos has been compressed, and so certainly not of as high quality as what you'll hear in the game.

Second, have you ever hear an M4 fire close up, live? It actually not a very loud weapon, and because its report is fairly stacatto, the perceived volume falls off quickly with distance.

IME, the AK-47 is somewhat louder, but it's still nothing like the report from an M-1 or something like that. Bigger stuff like 7.62MG is another matter entirely, of course.

But in any event, I'm sure MadMatt will come through for us with good, meaty explosions and gun reports in the the final release. . .

Cheers,

YD

That was always one of my biggest dissappointments with the M16. When firing it you can hear the bolt moving more than the report of the round. Even the SAW is pretty dissappionting. The 60 or 240 on the other hand sound like real weapons. Then, of course, there is the Ma Duce. Just listening to it being charged sends a shiver down my spine.

Let's not forget truely accurate weapons sounds/volumes would tend to promote rapid hearing loss and cracked window panes! And neighbors calling the police every time a recoilless rifle is fired in-game. Everything in life is a compromise. :D:rolleyes:

The sounds in the beta videos are placeholders actually.

BTW, speed of sound is simulated (so distant explosions are heard after you see them) as well as local sound, i.e. if you put the camera close to a bullet flying by you'll here the ziing, whereas if you're close to an explosion, you'll hear the impact etc.

Martin

Originally posted by Moon:

BTW, speed of sound is simulated (so distant explosions are heard after you see them) as well as local sound, i.e. if you put the camera close to a bullet flying by you'll here the ziing, whereas if you're close to an explosion, you'll hear the impact etc.

Martin

WAH-HOO!

Speed of sound. Excellent. :D

Originally posted by Moon:

Martin

This is the stuff that makes great preview videos. ;)

I dont see how people are gonna say that the 5.56 m16/m4 isnt loud. Your ears are gonna instantly be ringing if you're not wearing earplugs. Watch your hearing test keeping getting worse and worse if you think it doesnt do anything, its happened to several people i know

Originally posted by PLM2:

I dont see how people are gonna say that the 5.56 m16/m4 isnt loud. Your ears are gonna instantly be ringing if you're not wearing earplugs. Watch your hearing test keeping getting worse and worse if you think it doesnt do anything, its happened to several people i know

Yeah, it's loud and can do damage over time, but as observed above, the M16 is pretty quiet compared to 7.62mm and larger. I remember a lot of the first-timers on the range commenting how amazed they were that the M16 wasn't louder. Hollywood has convinced most people otherwise I guess.

Distance also plays a big role in the sounds that weapons - and vehicles - make. At close range an idling M1 tank is damned near deafening (literally). At a few hundred meters you can barely hear it above the ambient noise of a car engine, probably because it's high frequency noise that attenuates very quickly. On the other extreme, kids with their low-frequency bass thumping in their piece-of-**** cars can be heard from blocks away through closed windows from my basement. :mad:

Originally posted by flamingknives:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Moon:

Martin

WAH-HOO!

Speed of sound. Excellent. :D </font>

Originally posted by Mannheim Tanker:

Distance also plays a big role in the sounds that weapons - and vehicles - make. At close range an idling M1 tank is damned near deafening (literally). At a few hundred meters you can barely hear it above the ambient noise of a car engine, probably because it's high frequency noise that attenuates very quickly. On the other extreme, kids with their low-frequency bass thumping in their piece-of-**** cars can be heard from blocks away through closed windows from my basement. :mad:

My experience fighting the M1 as OPFOR was that we could hear them quite well from a few hundred meters and when they were right in your face. Once they hit about 300 to about 100 meters out they just seemed ot dissappear. Strange.

This reminds me of how when the Swiss bought their new Leopard 2 tanks they were forced to add these HUGE freakin' mufflers to the arse-end! Had something to do with with the horribly loud Leopard 2 diesel engine (low bass notes?) and the close proximity of residences to Swiss training grounds.