**MikeyD Highway fix mod & tutorial!**

I finally managed to fix the game's Highway tile graphics! Plus here's a tutorial on how to use 'em too

At our favorite site:

www.cmmods.com

The biggest puzzle in the map editor are (is?) those multi-piece 'Highway' road tiles. It didn't help matters that the highway tiles didn't match up very well. So I've done two things to fix this. First I've matched-up the tile art poperly to form a seamless highway, Next I've put together a simple ten page 'how-to' highway tile assembly tutorial in PDF format.

Enjoy! :D

FixedHighwayScreenshot.jpg

MikeyD,

Thanks for a wonderful mod! It has inspired me to attempt a highway cloverleaf junction of the sort that would feature in a recreation of the "Thunder Runs" of OIF.

I've done the basic layout but am struggling with height changes. The idea would be to make the overpass part look like it has collapsed onto the road below. As I don't think I'm up to the task, I've posted the basic map on CMMODS for anyone who wants to use it.

Cloverleaf map template on CMMODS:

526074fd77e7f857e17077608d611d394g.jpg

Pinetree,

Nice one! I'll take a look at that when I get the chance. Right now, I've found a way to make the slopes of my entrance and exit ramps look really smooth so I may eventually upload a version with heights added.

Here's how I did it in the editor. I made the underpass part height 20 and the overpass part height 25 and then used concentric semicircles going up in steps of 1 height difference to make the transition in height up and down the ramps hardly noticeable. Here's an editor pic:

a5bdc30e998a52d51ae15c77fadd69204g.jpg

And here's a screenshot:

58eaed7543eae7d43249fb9635a7bc3c4g.jpg

N.B. - Being from the UK I'm used to driving on the left so those vehicles may not look right to American eyes! However, the cloverleaf junction is completely symmetrical, so it works whether you drive on the left or the right. Clever! It was an American invention I believe (according to Wikipedia).

MikeyD,

I have been wanting to do a cloverleaf since before CM:SF even came out - having read about the "Thunder Runs" of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Your mod has now made it possible. Thanks one again!

I only hope someone will download my very basic starter map and run off a Thunder Run scenario, as I don't have the time to do it justice myself.

MikeyD,

I don't know how you made the mod but is there any way of adding another highway tile for the editor? Basically, the set that is currently available is missing one for a horizontal/vertical stretch of highway with a yellow line down one side but no curb down the other. If you could somehow add this it would be really useful. There is a spare place for it in the editor, if that's any help.

If such a tile was added, the following would be possible:

1) The ramps I created in my cloverleaf map wouldn't have the yellow lines missing where they join the highway.

2) You could have extra-wide lanes.

3) You could have 4 or more lanes.

Hi again,

Well, I'm rapidly getting the hang of these highway entrance and exit ramps now, and have done another type of junction. For anyone who would like to download it, it's a "trumpet" junction, basically an interchange where two highways form a "T". Available as usual from CMMODS. Sim-City meets CM:SF! ;)

"Trumpet" Junction:

13f195404de5bd7a8885b98e12319c775g.jpg

[ April 30, 2008, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: Cpl Steiner ]