By Jove I've got It! I know what is wrong with CM:SF!

I think anyone who played them would say CMBO, CMBB and CMAK were all essentially the same game, tweeked and set in different locales.

CMSF is essentially the sequal to a massive hit. It suffers from Sequel Syndrome! I'm not saying it is a cash cow, like a Hollywood sequel, but rather more like a kick-ass band's second album. It doesn't sound just like the first album, in fact they changed their sound a bit too much for many of their fans. Some die hard fans are embracing tha album and can see through the changes, but there are others who are hanging their head in shame, upset at the changes and wishing for something more like the first album.

What's the upside? Assuming they survive, which is a real concern in the software industry, (believe me) it means their next release will probably be back to their roots and will once again kick total butt (as far as the die hard fans go).

I've said it before and I'll say it again, in all humility, I am a freeking geeeenius!

Now - I know I should RTFM, but did Red vs Red make it in?

"Disraeli Gears" ....one of my all time favs ..I have it in vinyl packed away and forgotten about ..you may have just caused me to go off in a frenzy to start digging ..my wifey is not going to be happy .. :mad:

A very special Regards,

Gunz

P.S. anyone remember a album called "Super Session" ..have that also buried deep in the bowels of this house.

Originally posted by GunzAbeam:

P.S. anyone remember a album called "Super Session" ..have that also buried deep in the bowels of this house.

No kidding, that's pretty rare now isn't it?

....er, I mean rather why don't I take that one off your hands for a few shekels, maybe trade you a barely used copy of Theater of War?

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by GunzAbeam:

No kidding, that's pretty rare now isn't it?

....er, I mean rather why don't I take that one off your hands for a few shekels, maybe trade you a barely used copy of Theater of War? </font>

J Ruddy,

That's a pretty good analogy. Very few bands survive, and only a handful thrive, when they don't change something pretty dramatic from album to album. Some of my favorite bands have a half dozen albums out, but I only own the first two. First one was great, second one was the same, not interested in hearing the rest.

Pink Floyd is a great example. EVERY album they put out was totally different than the last until Waters left. I tried, really tried, to like the 2nd album post-Waters, but it sounded the same as the one before it. After owning everything they made, seeing both Waters and Gilmour in solo tours, I parted company with them. Just wish I had all of the stuff on CD so I could listen to it on iTunes :(

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Pink Floyd is a great example. EVERY album they put out was totally different than the last until Waters left. I tried, really tried, to like the 2nd album post-Waters, but it sounded the same as the one before it. After owning everything they made, seeing both Waters and Gilmour in solo tours, I parted company with them. Just wish I had all of the stuff on CD so I could listen to it on iTunes :(

Ah, the division bell... I went to the concert, bought the album etc... PF just wasn't the same after Roger Waters left, you needed the contrast between David Gilmour and Roger Waters writing and singing styles... notice Waters solo albums aren't of PF quality either, though there are some lyrical gems ("What God wants, Got gets, God help us all") I really do think Animals and Meddle are NOW my favorite PF albums (Used to the The Wall and Dark Side - I must be getting old or somefink)

If you haven't, I recomned checking out the David Gilmour live DVD - well worth the price...

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

So you're saying Charles went insane? ;)

Wait, is Charles Sid Barrett or Roger Waters or Pink from The Wall?

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Pink Floyd is a great example.

Steve

Gawd dang it ..another one of my all time favs. You guys would not believe the mems that are mixing in with the bud light right now ..not sure how this all fits in with CMSF but it sure is making me feel for the past.

Regards,

Gunz

Oh yes, Pink Floyd. I have listened to their music since I was 12 and still do. And I agree, when Waters left it was over. I tried really hard to like the 'new' Pink Floyd, but without Waters it was just not for me anymore.

In their good days, every Floyd album was really different from the one before. Awesome.

I think CMSF is like a new Floyd album. I will grow to like it, even though it is different.

Now I have not had much playtime with CMSF and I probably will not play it for some time. I think I am going to put CMSF on the backburner for a few months and wait for many of the (serious) issues to be solved by patches. It will still be fresh then (not having played the missions) and will play out as it was supposed to. At least I hope so.

Pink Floyd, yeah. "Dark side of the moon" I know its probably their most over played album-on the top 20 hit list for at least a couple decades and I've been listening to it since I was a little boy-like when I was 11, probably thats when I got the album- and I could still listen to it and enjoy the entire album along with "Wish you were here", Medal, Animals, its all good that old Floyd stuff.

Yes, but the question is: Suppose they took the graphics from this engine and made a game basically the same as CMAK in the way it played and controlled, would it be as successful as the current game might be? I believe it would. The reason why it would be a success is it already has a fan base that already like the way CMAK is, and are comfortable with it. One of the only things that wasn't the greatest was the graphics from the first series. Other than that, I believe CMAK is one of the best games ever created in game play and command and control.

Another version of this game may have went like this:

Take the CMSF units and improved graphics and put it into the present CMAK UI. Update portraits, weapons ect..

Add the current real-time capability and LOS system.

Add the new improvements such as the way units no longer pause at waypoints unless ordered to(One of my peeves with CMAK)

Now, I am not saying that the current game is bad, but if it were as described above it would be more of a sure thing. Only the sales of the current game will dictate whether they make something more like the first, but tweaked with the current improved graphics If the game does not do as well as expected that is what I would recommend next installment.

Perhaps gaming taste isn’t the same as musical taste. I wonder how the Rolling Stones would do if they came out with a classical music album? Sometimes subtle change is better than radical.

Ah, loved The Final Cut and most PF except the very early stuff, which I also have just to round out the collection. The Nile was a cool, obscure song from More(?).

Also, The Pro's and Con's of Hitch hiking was excellent.

Never cared for the post-Waters Floyd. Too generic imo.

von shrad