1.04:why as much graphic loss?

RommL

Originally posted by dan/california:

You must be the only guy on the planet that 1.04 made the graphics worse for. Virtually everyone, including me, has reported huge improvements. You might want to post a very detailed system specs sheet in the tech support forum along with your question.

No he is not the only...

Look here:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=000432

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=000434

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=000436

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=000425

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=000427

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=000433

Dan/California is correct in the sense that the majority of people have reported v1.04 being a LOT better than v1.03. However, there are issues which could make some people disagree with this. Primarily from people that were quite happy with v1.03's graphics and performance.

Everything is a delicate balance. It was clear to us that the balance we had in v1.03 was not good enough for the majority of customers. So we made many fundamental code changes to address this. From a simple number standpoint, those changes were a huge success. Far more people are playing the game at very good framerates than before. BUT...

Depending on the card, specific settings, and the scenario some people may notice some decreases from what they had in v1.03. Perhaps we can fix some of these things, perhaps not. It's very hard to tell. However, if nothing improves beyond v1.04 we'll not change things back to the way they were in v1.03. That's because the majority are happy with v1.04 over v1.03 and it is the majority that we must cater to.

Steve

Originally posted by Zemke:

For me the graphics went down, but the performance went way up, I prefer the performance by far.

Amen to that, brother. With 1.04, I can now run CMSF on my laptop which has both Windows 2000k and an Intel 910/915k graphics card. I've had to thumb back some of the graphics settings (vs. my desktop rig), but I get a nice, fluid play experience regardless.

Count this longtime BFC fan as a satisfied customer, and looking forward to more.

It must be very frustrating developing for PC (as opposed to consoles) these days, with so much variation in results. I guess, as you say, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

I haven't noticed any change in graphics at all except that I can punt up the options - I get better (in some cases MUCH better) FPS in most scenarios with "better" settings for models and textures than I did with "faster" for both with 1.03. Which makes me a happy bunny, in that respect anyway.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Dan/California is correct in the sense that the majority of people have reported v1.04 being a LOT better than v1.03. However, there are issues which could make some people disagree with this. Primarily from people that were quite happy with v1.03's graphics and performance.

Everything is a delicate balance. It was clear to us that the balance we had in v1.03 was not good enough for the majority of customers. So we made many fundamental code changes to address this. From a simple number standpoint, those changes were a huge success. Far more people are playing the game at very good framerates than before. BUT...

Depending on the card, specific settings, and the scenario some people may notice some decreases from what they had in v1.03. Perhaps we can fix some of these things, perhaps not. It's very hard to tell. However, if nothing improves beyond v1.04 we'll not change things back to the way they were in v1.03. That's because the majority are happy with v1.04 over v1.03 and it is the majority that we must cater to.

Steve

well...it would be advisable that patches to gameplay, such as improved blast movement, etc., should be separated from patches to FPS/graphics improvement :rolleyes:

It looks like the primary thing going on here is that LOD distances are being cranked up, despite the settings that people are using. It's strange to me that this isn't factored into the detail options already available within the game. Seems pretty obvious that there are people who would prefer to run at a lower framerate but at a higher visual fidelity - why is that option not given?

Shoehorning everyone into a low gfx setting seems like a bandaid to the problem, at best.

It would also be nice to have different LOD settings for units and terrain objects (terrain objects, not terrain).

As it is, object detail affects everything from units to things like grass and trees, &c.

Personally, I wouldn't mind reducing tree and grass to a minimum while having units at a higher detail.

I'm getting this problem as well; just assumed it was my old low end PC, but it happens whatever the settings I choose. It appears that the tiles NEARER the viewpoint are set to a worse resolution than those off in the distance. Roads and ground cover on the horizon are sharp sharp sharp, but suddenly they fuzz to chessboard blobs about halfway down the battlefield. The buildings and vehicles remain sharp at whatever the distance. Explosions way away look like a solid mass of grey cubes flying about as well, when the finishing cloud of dust would be more than adequate, and much more realistic. This happens whatever the settings. This also happens on my PC at work, which is quite a different beast. I'll get the rig details if anyone is interested. And some screen grabs...

Tim

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Steve

thank you.

But i was accustomed to a beautiful and playable play. :D

Originally posted by RommL:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Steve

thank you.

But i was accustomed to a beautiful and playable play. :D </font>