"Technicals"

LGMB

My recollection is that the term first appeared , as FAI indicates, during the Chad vs. Libya clash when reporters started calling MG armed COTS Toyota pickup trucks "technicals." After that, we started seeing the same term used regarding Somali and other equipment. From what I can tell, a technical is an armed COTS civilian/ex-civilian vehicle, and that armament can go at least as far as a B-10 82mm recoilless rifle.

Regards,

John Kettler

Well, here is my sea story about that term:

"Technicals" were coined by UN personnel and the term came from how security was arranged for WFP personnel and other UN missions in Somalia prior to military intervention. UN personnel loathe to work with military security as they desire to appear "neutral" to both, or all, sides. This is especially true with the International Red Cross. In Somalia a significant security problem developed prior to US Marines coming ashore and the US Army arriving on scene. This presented a problem for the UN and their mandate in Somalia, so, like a good lawyer, the staff on location looked for a technicality in the mandate that allowed them to use UN funds to hire local militia as security for the food warehouses and convoys. Thus the term "technical" was applied to these militia security forces, who sported the civilian trucks with bolt on 12.7mm HMG look.

And like most UN plans, paying the militias to protect the goods from one another did not work out very well.

Anyways, I am sticking to my story!

...which begs the question: Is CMSF to see any HMG-armed Toyotas scampering about in the game?

I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that .50 cal Browning operator animations could be shared for this purpose. You had been hinting about including 'irregular' militia forces as well as proper Syrian TO&E forces. In my mind irregular militias for wide-ranging Red-on-Red engagements would significantly extend the gameplay life of the product :D

But if they don't include them I'll understand. Experience with those CMx1 jeeps with mg mounts show they'd be practically impossible to utilize effectively.

[ December 13, 2006, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]