Jump to content

Idea for tank damage effect


Recommended Posts

Did you noticed building switch BMP when it got damage from attacking. How about create some BMPs with detail damage effect for tanks in certain area where it got hit. I know what currently damaged tank look like in CM but more detail that will give us know how bad damage it is or just a dent as a round bounced it off. Is it cool?

Cheer

Snowleopard

Link to post
Share on other sites

For the enemy it would depend how far away they were, there might be damage but no visable effect.

That why in many cases a knocked out tank might be repeatedly knocked out, because the enemy was not sure.

Perhaps visable effects should take precentant to what occurs

Currently, the firer instantly knows when a tankis knocked out or abandonded, maybe it should be visual effect only, and perhaps we need a command which is a play dead command.

That would make even dead tanks a bit more of a worry.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No, not instantly. There is a death clock, so it might take several minutes before the crew exit the knocked out tank.

Overall, I don't find the suggestion very good. Just how much effect does being hit by an AT gun have on the looks of a tank?

This T-26 was captured by Finns in the Winter War after its turret front was penetrated three times. The hits on the turret are still visible.

dt16.jpg

Outward, it still looks operational. You couldn't tell that the turret crew is a bloody mess at this point - the only tell-tale would be that the surviving crew members are trying to get out of the tincan. Would it really be worth the trouble to display such tiny holes and dents (in the case of non-penetration)?

Link to post
Share on other sites

How about health bars? Has anyone thought about health bars for armor? Man that would be cool. Once your Tiger started feeling the effects of like a hundred rifle bullets and it's hit points were getting lowered, the health bar could turn red and you would know to get it out of the way of the infantry!

BFS5

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Steve said something like this will be in CMx2 (or maybe just destroyed models) but it's an interesting idea. I was just looking at pics from the first Thunder Run into Baghdad the other day and all of those vehicles came out with scars. Even non-penetrating hits from RPGs and small arms leave marks (and these vehicles had a lot of scars!), not to mention when stowage catches on fire.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

I think Steve said something like this will be in CMx2 (or maybe just destroyed models) but it's an interesting idea. I was just looking at pics from the first Thunder Run into Baghdad the other day and all of those vehicles came out with scars. Even non-penetrating hits from RPGs and small arms leave marks (and these vehicles had a lot of scars!), not to mention when stowage catches on fire.

It would have to be modelled individually, though, you couldn't have a seperate bmp for every instance of damage. Or combinations thereof.

A seperate graphic for a burnt out tank or shot up softskin would be interesting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Barrold:

How about health bars? Has anyone thought about health bars for armor? Man that would be cool. Once your Tiger started feeling the effects of like a hundred rifle bullets and it's hit points were getting lowered, the health bar could turn red and you would know to get it out of the way of the infantry!

BFS5

You might get out of the way. Not me. I would have my Tiger parked on top of a health pack spawn point.
Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by dumrox:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Barrold:

How about health bars? Has anyone thought about health bars for armor? Man that would be cool. Once your Tiger started feeling the effects of like a hundred rifle bullets and it's hit points were getting lowered, the health bar could turn red and you would know to get it out of the way of the infantry!

BFS5

You might get out of the way. Not me. I would have my Tiger parked on top of a health pack spawn point. </font>
Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Umm....you're going to have a BMP for every possible instance of damage? Impossible to do.

Just model several BMPs where very common area that damages always score hits to them. Even will be cool to model BMP that show damage from trap shot and other special damage effect due to poor design on armor.

Similar to Oleg's IL2 Sturmovik as have two damage step as first is minor damage then more damage before destroyed. Maybe much more cool is show BMP why it is destroyed by see big hole by cannon fire and damage effect by anti-tank crew. I know it will be huge art work unless your market manager tell you it is good idea to attraction customers. It is candy stuff unless player demand to know what weapon destroyed his tank and what direction come from enemy so he will know what to do. I am sure in real life people will look at damage where it hit then search certain source for area where possible enemy fire.

Regards

Snowleopard

Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by dumrox:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Barrold:

How about health bars? Has anyone thought about health bars for armor? Man that would be cool. Once your Tiger started feeling the effects of like a hundred rifle bullets and it's hit points were getting lowered, the health bar could turn red and you would know to get it out of the way of the infantry!

BFS5

You might get out of the way. Not me. I would have my Tiger parked on top of a health pack spawn point. </font>
Link to post
Share on other sites

Every texture made and used for a battle needs to be loaded and stored into VRAM ahead of time. Otherwise there is a delay of game to load/unload textures. Probably not bad if it is just swapping out one or two textures, but a lot at random times? Could be rather poor. There are some tricks to work around this, but it isn't the right way to go about it. The right way is to have "stickers" that can be placed on the model. That way you can store small, medium, and large penetration hole graphics in a fairly tiny texture, yet use it for everything and anything. Kinda like shell craters in CMx1, but for vehicles.

Buildings... they need to be physically deformed for it to look right. We are planning on doing that.

We also want to physically deform vehicles, but that requires building additional models for all vehicles. Many additional ones if we want to have many different types of damage. We're working on how to do this, but expectations for the first game should be kept low.

Steve

Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing to keep in mind is that the shooter doesn't always know what happened to the hit (it seems like they could tell if they hit). If the tank burns, or the crew jumps out, obviously, that's a kill. "Biography of a Battalion" relates one incident where a troublesome MkIV was hit several times. They didn't know if they knocked it out, but it stopped firing for the rest of the morning, so they figured the TD had gotten it.

One disadvantage of a shot hole sticker (or similar concept) is that it may give to much information to a tank gunner 500m away.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Every texture made and used for a battle needs to be loaded and stored into VRAM ahead of time. Otherwise there is a delay of game to load/unload textures. Probably not bad if it is just swapping out one or two textures, but a lot at random times? Could be rather poor. There are some tricks to work around this, but it isn't the right way to go about it. The right way is to have "stickers" that can be placed on the model. That way you can store small, medium, and large penetration hole graphics in a fairly tiny texture, yet use it for everything and anything. Kinda like shell craters in CMx1, but for vehicles.

Buildings... they need to be physically deformed for it to look right. We are planning on doing that.

We also want to physically deform vehicles, but that requires building additional models for all vehicles. Many additional ones if we want to have many different types of damage. We're working on how to do this, but expectations for the first game should be kept low.

Steve

Steve, Thank you for answer my question. Maybe someday in little future when our computer get more advanced like that then maybe we can do. Go ahead and lock my message. Have Good Day.

Regards

Snowleopard

[ October 02, 2005, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: Snow Leopard ]

Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Gordon:

Shot hole stickers. Just like you can buy for your car. Cool. But just wait till the grogs start whining about how the holes are correct for the 7.5cm KwK L/48 AP/HE, but not for the 8.8cm PaK43. And just wait for the shattered armor doesn't look right discussions. smile.gif

Just wait til the modders put out hi-resolution damage stickers purporting to be historically accurate for every piece of ordnance in each module - then post about the "release" of these masterpieces with all-capped subject headings as if it was the second coming of a diety in earthly form, complete with close up screenshots and self-congratulatory round-robins, and then the inevitable copyright issues when some bright shining star does an all-inclusive theatre mod and uses someone's 25x25 pixel damage sticker bitmaps without permission. :D

We're no stranger to wailing here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by stoat:

25x25 pixels? That is obviously a full penetration of the left hull of a Sherman M4A3 by a 50mm L/60 Pak38 AP round at 23 degrees, 198 meters, 41 percent humidity, with a barometric pressure of 29.66, in 1944.

Don't forget the shading on the underside of the entry wound lip; RGB values of 13, 12, 11 respectively - hue 23 Sat 30 Lum 11.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...