Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Windows XP Cures W2K GeForce Graphics Probs?

Hi All,

While back I posted I was having some problems with my (then) new GeForce MX and W2K with CM. Turning off FSAA helped - thanx guys - but did not completely cure the problem as the graphics where playable but poor.

I recently tried out Release Candidate 1 for Windows XP and CM not only works but also looks great again!

Obviously, this is not going to be a suitable solution for all but thought you might like to know. Anyone else have any XP/CM experience?

Von Viniga

(I already did the search thing - so far no XP posts I could find).

In tech support that is......oh well.

[ 08-01-2001: Message edited by: Von Viniga ]

Interesting. From what I've gathered the problems in Win2K remain in WinXP. What version of the NVidia drivers are you using ? Do you have FSAA enabled (you'll probably have to "force" it in all applications in order for CM's graphics to actually be FSAA'd) ? Does the white text in the scenario/operations listing screen still come through as transparent (anywhere there's white) ?

The Main Forum's XP thread (which you've probably already read):

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=020646

[ 08-01-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Did a little more experimentation:

Hercules GeForce II MX Dual Display Card

Hercules(Nvidia) Driver Version 12.40

I upgraded to this driver just before installing XP. It changed the interface for FSAA. FSAA now had these settings:

Let Application Handle it

Turn it Off

Force 2X

Force 4X

Turning it off gave the best result in W2K

In WinXP I find letting the application handle FSAA gives the best results - this was what it was set to after the upgrade - the others cause text problems of varying degrees of awfulness.

Currently I only get text doubling on terrain labels (I hadn't switched them back on yesterday.) Not sure about text on white - will check this out tonight.

So all is not perfect in XP world....

:(