CM TCP/IP and Roger Wilco

I was trying to play CM online last night with a friend from work and we wanted to use Roger Wilco so we could chat live instead of typing....When I had the game up and he didn't, we could hear each other. Once he got the game up, he couldn't hear me, though I could still hear him...

According to Roger Wilco, it should work with any DirectSound enabled game...Does CM use DirectSound though...? If so, what RW settings should I use?

Anyone else using RW? Or any other free live chat?

To give you a partial answer to your question. Yes, CM uses the DirectSound API on the PC for sound (it's part of DirectX).

What connection type do you both have ? I haven't really used RW, but I wonder if it drops out if there isn't enough bandwidth (strange that he could send, but not receive). Are you both running the "Mark Ic" update (which fixes some priorities for audio).

You may have to edit the "games.txt" file and add Combat Mission in to change some of RW's properties in using it. The following line may not work since it has to be added:

"" "Combat Mission" 2 3000

Several users on this board have been able to use RW with CM, so it should work. I think the question here may be the CPU speed on one end or the type/speed of connection.

Many Warbirds Pilots use RW, and generally selecting WAV (not direct X) and high-cpu priority is the best way to get as much functionality as possible,from what I've found.

RW isn't completely flawless for all set-ups, and sometimes the sound xmit or receive just cuts out with some user for reasons unknown. Only way to cure that is to restart RW.

On my rig RW is almost completely stable, and CM is very crash prone for reasons unknown. If Cm weren't such a good wargame I would have canned the CD long ago as a bug infested game... ( but thats another story)

Guest Madmatt

Roger Wilco and CM seem to work fine but RW became rather unstable with Direct X 8 so I stopped using it.

I have heard of some people that could hear but not send, not sure why though and Roger Wilco support is not something that is high on our list of priorities.

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 12-07-2000).]

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

I gave up with RW a while ago - we switched to MSN and that works fantastic, much clearer with 2 way chat like a telephone instead of RW's walkie talkie one way chat system. MSN is very stable with CM and works a treat. I heartily recommend it over RW.

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

Guest Madmatt

I wanted to look at playing around with that Games file in RW that allows you to configure RW to work correctly/better with some games. I haven't had the time though..Anyone with good RW knowledge ever look into this? You can find info about the settings and what they do in the docs for RW.

Madmatt

• 5 weeks later...

OK, DLed and installed Team Sound and it works for me (as did RW and BC) but not for my opponent. Although I have mine set for DirectX would changing it to WAV help? We (Dave T and myself) have our systems configured the same, drivers, com program versions, all settings. Any other ideas? Goofy

------------------

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries!