Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Need ideas and help for major CM problem

Ok before I start off,

forgive me father for i have sinned, not only did i delete CM off my computer i...gulp... scratched the cd. :eek: . Now half the bmp files won't install, if i run it off the cd i can get past the security check without any problems its just that i can't get bmp files 522 and higher to install. I went out and bought a cleaning kit, no dice

ideas suggestions before i burn myself at the stake?

If you attempt to copy everything off of the CD do you get an error during the copying process ? Sometimes some copy utilities seem to stop on the first error they run into and don't proceed further when they could. It's possible that your scratch (if deep enough) may prevent copying of a particular file or two.

One possible method of removing the scratch is to use toothpaste (a brand with some grit/baking soda - a gel will be worthless for this) and a fine cloth. With a wet tip on the cloth and a little toothpaste rub the area of the scratch (I'd guess using a circular pattern over the scratch). You could also check out the search engines on the web for other hints on removing scratches in CDs.

Guest ckoharik

A couple weeks ago I was talking with the local Electronics Boutique manager about this issue. According to her she has seen excellent results from the Game Doctor MD on even some severely scratched CD's. While I cannot say for certain this would be a solution for you I would recommend at least looking into it.

Now, if/when you get it fixed/replaced, remember that it is always a good idea to protect that which is valuable to you. If possible I would recommend making a personal backup and keep the original in a safe place.

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/product.asp?pf_id=189763

--I didn't write this...and I was never here.--