Poll: New name

M1A1TC

Originally posted by yuvuphys:

Do you see folks like me who happen to support the war debasing myself to get in cheap shots?

No, I don't see war supporters "debasing" themselves taking "cheap" shots. I think the wind was long ago taken from their sails and htey're bummed about how the whole thing has turned out.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

I've always felt that BFC, and BTS earlier, gave underachieving titles to their games. I protested against "Combat Mission" when it was first announced oh these many, many moons ago. Well, I don't suppose it matters too much. I doubt that BFC has lost many sales on account of its titles.

Heh, when I first heard of "Combat Mission" I thought it must have been made by George Lucas.

But I think you're right that it doesn't matter much. Battlefield 2: Modern Combat isn't an inspired name by any means and it's sold about a billion copies.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

[QB] I kinda like the name 'CM:Shock Force', especially after the displays of shock and dismay on the board at the game's announcement! ;) :eek:

Which is why I think CM: MBDHACWIN would have been better. Combat Mission: Modern But Don't Have A Cow, WWII Is Next"

I appreciate it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue... perhaps CM: Think Afghanistan, not "Neocon Fascism."? CM: "Geez, Not a *&^%ing turkey shoot, wait for the demo"?

I'm thinking just make the switch to "Strike" Force....that's what half of us keep calling it anyway. And, it hints at the whole Stryker thing without crossing legal/political/other boundaries.

Plus, I like it better. It sounds modern-combaty to me. "Shock" just sounds too....electrical? Or sci-fi.

I don't know.

I can't really come up with anything completely different that I like.

I'm thinking just make the switch to "Strike" Force....that's what half of us keep calling it anyway. And, it hints at the whole Stryker thing without crossing legal/political/other boundaries.

Plus, I like it better. It sounds modern-combaty to me. "Shock" just sounds too....electrical? Or sci-fi.

The Stryker focus may well be diluted with the follow on modules. Bradleys, Marine AAAV7s?, and Warriors could well make it into modules so why let Strykers dictate the title.

Can't believe I just let myself be dragged into this thread. Doh redface.gif

The Shock is fair enough. Might be referring to the so caled Shock and Awe strategy, or could be viewed as shock operations along the lines of the old Soviet 3rd Shock Army.

I'm going to put humor aside for a second. I agree that the name is not that great. The 'Combat Mission' name is so-so, we're all so use to it we don't think about it. I also want to call it 'Strike Force' - maybe this is a sign BFC?!?!

Remember BTS was just 2 guys when CM:BO came out, obviously name creation (Big Time Software), and web site creation was not their forte, here is what the site looked like in June of 2000: The Ugly Old Days

(Note: I'm still convinced BFC lost more than a few sales when folks came to the site when it looked like the above link)

Anyway, regardless of the name I hope it sells 10x as many as BFC is forecasting!! smile.gif

Originally posted by RMC:

I think the wind was long ago taken from their sails and htey're bummed about how the whole thing has turned out.

It should be quite obvious that doesn't apply to me; that's the anti-war's point of view, remember? I just have the confidence and self-control not to bring politics into this forum; and I wish others did, too. And I got cranky ;)

But, I accomplished my goal and got people to can it :D

Anyway...I was trying to think of a good name all day, and didn't come up with anything better than "Strike Force"...was trying to come up with something like "Deep Strike"; except that sounded good, but obvisouly failed.

Here are my thoughts on how the title should be changed, for what they are worth.

1. Use a snappy 2 word title for the whole series, followed by a sub-title for each game in the series.

2. Include a reference to leadership or tactics so the potential purchaser knows the game is a "planning" one more than a "reactions" one.

3. Refer to the original "Combat Mission" title in a much less obvious fashion, at it was always a pretty non-descript title that never really got across what the game was actually about.

So, in conclusion, how about...

"Force Commander: Strike Force 2007 (Combat Mission 2.1)"

...to be followed by...

"Force Commander: Western Front (Combat Mission 2.2)"

To put humor aside for a second, myself:

The whole concept nowadays is "Branding", making your name recognizable and making potential customers feel like they want to be 'the kind of people' who use your product. I work in advertising (as one of the mole people slaving underground, not an executive) and my employer has clients with ugly-arse names like Vonage, Oral-B, etc. If it weren't for advertising they'd just be nonsense sounds to you.

You could say the name 'Combat Mission' has come to be branded - among those who recognize it - as a 'boutique' smaller scale gaming company who takes their end product very seriously. 'Combat Mission' is a brand. 'Shock Force' is a product associated with the brand. The name could just as well be nonsense words - "Bugle Carthage" for instance - but its association with the Combat Misson brand has already elevated it (sight unseen) to the level of serious 'boutique' wargame.

What BFC should do is leverage their Combat Mission brand, place themselves in the paths of people who imagine themselves to be the 'kind of person' who could appreciate a serious boutique tactical military sim. Y'see, its the opposite of traditional advertising. Instead of saying "This product is GREAT" they should say "We're a serious game house. It takes a particular kind of person to appreciate us. Do YOU have what it takes?" BFC's already got some mileage out of the brand. Games as diverse as Drop Team to Down in Flames want to associate themselves with CM integrity.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

What BFC should do is leverage their Combat Mission brand, place themselves in the paths of people who imagine themselves to be the 'kind of person' who could appreciate a serious boutique tactical military sim. Y'see, its the opposite of traditional advertising. Instead of saying "This product is GREAT" they should say "We're a serious game house. It takes a particular kind of person to appreciate us. Do YOU have what it takes?" BFC's already got some mileage out of the brand. Games as diverse as Drop Team to Down in Flames want to associate themselves with CM integrity.

That is probably one of THE all time BEST suggestion I have heard on this board.

This man KNOWS of what he speaks.

We shall call him the community Marketing Grog!

carry on

-tom w

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Seanachai:

Let's try: Combat Mission: Liberating the Next Islamic Nation We Think We Can Justify Attacking and Actually Beat.

Guys, comments like this are only going to be disruptive to the forums. As we have mentioned, we do understand if you and others are not interested in modern warfare, but please dont make our jobs harder because of it.

Dan </font>