New Stryker Faring Poorly in Field

Webwing

I liked the line about a "key part" being held up in customs on the way to Iraq.

Military supplies have to pass through customs?

I'm trying to picture it: "I'm sorry sir, you can't bring in that 105mm gun . . . it could be used as a weapon."

If customs agents present such a barrier, perhaps Saddam could have saved his regime in 2003 by simply refusing to let the invasion force pass through customs.

Originally posted by Rokossovski:

I'm trying to picture it: "I'm sorry sir, you can't bring in that 105mm gun . . . it could be used as a weapon."

But Sir {AHEM} perhaps we could come to an understanding,

Through {COUGH} a mutually beneficial financial arrangement.

If you understand my meaning? {HMMM}

Originally posted by jeffsmith:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Rokossovski:

But Sir {AHEM} perhaps we could come to an understanding,

Through {COUGH} a mutually beneficial financial arrangement.

If you understand my meaning? {HMMM} </font>

Originally posted by Rokossovski:

Reminds me of the OH&S signage at a local special forces training centre that the assault course was not to be used as it was considered dangerous! go figure, next thing you know it'll be mandatory break-times and no live rounds incase someone gets hurt.

Posts on other sites in reply to that article have Stryker MGS crews complaining that the vehicle's working just fine... now... in mid-winter. I somehow doubt the crew interior would still hit 130 degrees in mid-February. Lets hope someone comes up with a clever fix before summer hits again, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Just using it in the demo and I was shocked to see how few rounds the thing carried. After about a couple of minutes the thing was back to using machinge guns. Anyone know what the deal is with having so few rounds? Also, whats the point of the artillery spotter Stryker when every Stryker can do this?

a) MGS:

I don't think having so few rounds for the MGS was part of the plan, it was just all the room & weight they could spare after they shoehorned the 105mm gun and autoloader into the chassis. Keep in mind that the original spec was for all variants of the Stryker to be capable of being airlifted via C-130J. This put severe weight and size limits on the design. This C-130 airlift requirement has now been at least partially abandoned, but you can still see its effects in many of the Stryker variants.

It is also important to keep in mind that the MGS is not intended to be a sustained fire support vehicle or an AT asset, but rather is intended to be a "bunker buster" to help crack hardened buildings and other strongpoints whichthe 81mm & 120mm mortars that are organic to the Stryker Brigades cannot deal with. I'm guessing that the idea was to provide a quick way of dealing with such defensive positions that did not require (a) an expensive Javelin or TOW shot, or (B) an even more expensive and potentially advance-delaying JDAM. Air support these days is pretty quick, but it's still not as quick as just rolling up an MGS, and firing off a couple rounds.

So basically, they're intended to complement mobile arty support and air support. As such, ammo capacity probably wasn't seen as important as mobility. Sustained fires are the job of the mortars. Big Booms are the job of the JDAMs. The MGSes are supposed roll up to hit a strongpoint with a few rounds so the advance can continue, and then roll back to where they can resupply.

But I'm sure that, in an idea world, the Military would have preferred to get a few more rounds into the locker. It was a trade-off.

b -- Arty support Stryker:

The Artillery support Stryker includes a much more extensive suite of spotting, rangefinding and communications gear than the standard Stryker. This gear takes the place of the RWS (Remote Weapons Station), and also takes up much of the interior space. So its use is primarily to precisely locate targets for support fires, and quickly communicate said targets to support assets. The advantage of such a unit probably is diminished somewhat in CMSF because of map size. IRL dedicated Artillery spotting vehicles like this are capable of precisely spotting targets several kilometers away, well beyond the CMSF map edge.

Imagine if your Company of T-72s never showed up on the CMSF map, because the advanced IR spotting great on the Fire Support Stryker spotted the armor column 6km away, and vectored in A-10s.

But, AIUI, the Artillery support Stryker does confer some advantage in CM in that Arty/Air strikes called in by spotters riding in this vehicle are faster and more accurate. Given that the US Spotters are pretty darn quick and accurate as it is, it may be difficult to really notice this difference. I haven't tested it myself.

Cheers,

YD

[ March 03, 2008, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: YankeeDog ]

Somewhere in the manual I think it says planes can drop lazer guided bombs, but they need constant lazing of the targt to do it. Unfortunately this feature is so 'under the hood' that you don't realise its happening. Now your JTAC targets a building, the building goes boom. No real way to know (that i know of) if the Stryker's laser designator was employed and a GBU-16 dropped.

Originally posted by M1A1TankCommander:

We spent 9 straight hours at the wash rack washing my tank before putting it on the ship going home

Isn't that what the female soldiers are for?!??

Yes, I'm running as fast as I can right now. Hee...

[ March 03, 2008, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: JP76er ]