Discussion - Borg dead or at least Wounded?

Back on topic then: I like the relative spotting in CMSF very much. It adds a great bunch of realism to the game, however I do find the Elite difficulty to be a bit odd as far as friendly units go.

Let me explain (and maybe I miss something here, if I do, please enlighten me :D ):

Its rather difficult to explain, but I'll try...

The main difference between Veteran and Elite is that friendly units are also only displayed if they are in LOS, correct?

From a unit to unit point of view that is correctly modelled and quite logical to me, but we are playing the commander here and not the unit itself.

Playing the commander in a game though, is bound to have some compromises to accomodate gameplay. In this light I think its quite odd that if you click Unit A to give its orders, Unit B who is standing outside of Unit A's direct LOS, disappears from the map.

Not only will that confuse my situational awareness in larger battles, I'd say friendly units would be in radio contact with eachother, have GPS locators, etc etc, so eventhough Unit B would not be in Unit A's direct LOS, Unit A would still be very much aware of Unit B making it rather unrealistic to let Unit B disappear from the map.

Thats how I look at relative spotting. Overall VERY good addition to the game, despite the rather odd way for friendly spotting in Elite, but again, I might be missing something here.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it confuses your situational awareness, you should not play in the Elite mode ;)

Units with FBCB2 pretty much always now positions of each other, units without it do not, seems logical to me.

EDIT: Wooohooo, my 100th post, that makes it average 1.39 posts/month

[ August 02, 2007, 04:42 AM: Message edited by: Martin Krejcirik ]

Maybe I should re-phrase to make my question more clear: Does friendly-spotting in Elite difficulty depend on actual outfitting of the unit? In other words (yet again ;) ): are things like GPS or Radios modelled in-game so that a unit with all high tech stuff on board would still 'see' a friendly unit eventhough its not in its direct LOS?