New Screen shots posted on the Blog by Moon

We have the complete, relevant TO&E listed in what you guys would think of as the Purchase Screen.
What we would think of as a purchase screen? So with the way you phrase that I take it the "purchase" of units will be handled very differently?

A force with US equipment but soviet support
I might be wrong but it seems that if that was going to be done it would just be as easy to totally do away with purchase restriction so you could have mixed Soviet/American units.

But being BFC has talked so much about chains of command I imagine what you propose is impossible. It seems that something like a Paladin will be assigned support to a battalion and different platoons get different response times. I imagine being the Syrian/American support chain of commands are different that would prevent what you propose.

But I would like to hear differently as well.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter,

Fair enough, it would limit doing lots of scenarios, like Pakistan v India where both have a lot of soviet kit that pretty much matches Syria, but I guess neither is an exact match.
Correct, which is why we've said all along that CM:SF is not some sort of "toolbox". It is specifically designed for US and Syrian forces in conflict within the borders of Syria. Everything else is not supported out of the box. We can certainly add things as we go along, but until we do they are not supported by definition.

A force with US equipment but soviet support
In the same line of thinking as above, this is not up for consideration. CM:SF is designed to simulate a US force version a Syrian force. That's it. However, because it wasn't difficult to do we are allowing a Syrian force to fight against a Syrian force or a US force against a US force. The reason for that is so people can play against each other to see who is better. In other words, eliminate the variables of units and capabilities. It was a popular request from CMx1 days, but impossible under the old code restrictions. It's realtively easy this time around so that's what we're supporting. That's also the most we are going to do.

C'Rogers,

What we would think of as a purchase screen? So with the way you phrase that I take it the "purchase" of units will be handled very differently?
Correct. The UI is quite different. The overall concept is, however, the same; there is a place to acquire units from a general list within the parameters of a budget (points). The totally new feature is the ability to reconfigure your purchased units in order to form customized task forces. This is, in a way, a different feature though, since you can only reorganize what you have already purchased.

Steve

C'Rogers,

Question going back to the original pictures. The buildings in the back look much improved since last they appeared. How much might the building appearances continue to improve by the time the game is released or are they mostly complete?
Check out the ones in the Artillery/Air Support thread. They are a couple of builds newer than what is in this thread. They won't change much from what you see there, though there are more types to add (for example Mosques).

Unsobill,

looks like another ARMA - i'll buy it if it comes out before S.T.A.L.K.E.R - hey i wont buy any fps after S.T.A.L.K.E.R release at least for a month or two anyway.
CM:SF has about as much in common as these games as checkers to chess. Armed Assault and Stalker are First Person Shooter (FPS) games, CM is a wargame. If you don't understand the difference between the two, download an earlier Combat Mission demo and you'll see what I mean.

Steve

CM:SF has about as much in common as these games as checkers to chess. Armed Assault and Stalker are First Person Shooter (FPS) games, CM is a wargame. If you don't understand the difference between the two, download an earlier Combat Mission demo and you'll see what I mean.

Steve [/QB]

Even then, play Armed Assualt and see how different that is from stalker or fear. Huge difference.

I have to say guys, that after seeing some of these screenshots, I am actually starting to get excited about this game!

I have had a grudge against the project getting away from the ww2 genre, but after I saw the 'random object' insert pics and a few of the models, all is forgiven!

Bring on CMSF!

[ December 23, 2006, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

Hell Yeah!

Chance Encounter was a Classic!!

I do hope that at least one of the demo scenarios is NOT a/the predictable "large conventional US Stryker force tries to take small town held by lots of well hidden Militia with many RPG's and IED's and booby traps everywhere". (Now sure we are expecting one of those, and I am even looking forward to playing the underdog Syrians, but we are just asking you "mix it up" a little, maybe for instance the US as the defender? that kind of thing.) ....maybe....

A "Chance Encounter Like" scenario would be fun and exciting and in keeping with the "fun" spirit of the Gold Demo CMBO days. (many years ago).

Right on Capt Foobar!

:D

-tom w