New Screen shots posted on the Blog by Moon

http://www.battlefront-newsletter.com/portals/0/cmsfuntitled-1.jpg

web page blog

Posted by: Battlefront .com 12/8/2006

Today we want to start a two-day series of screenshots showing off some of the details that go into creating the 3D models for CM:SF. Keep in mind that what you're about to see represents work from various stages of the game from Alpha to Beta, so it's still work in progress and contains various unfinished elements as well as mere placeholders. One such example, which some of you will recognize immediately without a doubt, is that the tank crew models are not yet finished. So don't be surprised if you see a tank commander with infantry gear for example smile.gif

CMSFUntitled-1tn.jpg

The above shot shows a basic Abrams model. In the end we'll have various sub-models in the game. Notice how each of the tanks looks a little differently. This is due to random placement of extra gear on each model. If you enlarge the image, you'll notice backpacks, watercans, even spare wheels all placed in different spots and configurations for each vehicle. This placement is random, so no two units will look the same anymore.

Here is a detail shot of the rear equipment rack for the Abrams. The attention to detail the guys are putting into this is incredible

CMSFUntitled-5tn.jpg

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy Crap!

Those bring out the tears of joy to my eyes! Great job Battlefront team

I didnt see any of them carrying extra track.. We usually bolt those on the turret side racks

Also, were are the thermal panels?

[ December 08, 2006, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: M1A1TankCommander ]

M1A1TankCommander,

I didnt see any of them carrying extra track.. We usually bolt those on the turret side racks
We haven't noticed much of that in Iraq so we didn't go about doing it. It could be added pretty easily though.

Randomly assigned. Many of the pics we see out of Iraq show none, so we're not quite sure what to make of it. Our guess is that since the only tanks that are in Iraq are US or UK, there isn't much need for them. If that is true, then they should be on all Abrams in CM:SF since it is a different type of combat op.

Steve

Originally posted by Peter Cairns:

They look good, but a bit to clean, will we get dust grim and oil stains,

Peter.

You have to leave modders something to do. ;)

Which reminds me. Polys are still uneditable right? So modders won't be able to add goodies.

[ December 08, 2006, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: Sequoia ]

Originally posted by M1A1TankCommander:

Glad you like them overall M1! With regards to the thermal panels, do you mean the grill like panels used a lot in OIF, or the vehicle identification panels on the turret front? Ive currently randomly assigned the VIP's to vehicles, but Ive actually left those grills off at the moment. My thinking was that that as they glow under thermal vision and as the Syrians do have some of this gear (they are standand on AT-14's I beleive) they would likely not be used in such a conflict. I could be wrong though :)

Originally posted by Peter Cairns:

Is there any plans to add random effects for weather, ie if it's a wet scenario in Normandy the Tanks would be muddy around the tracks and hull.

Peter.

Heya Peter. Actually I agree but most of these are older textures. If you have a close look at the abrams in the middle two shots you should find that they are rather more grimey smile.gif Suprisingly though if you check out photos from Iraq most of the vehicles seem to be a hell of a lot cleaner than the ones we have in game, hehe. Either way though, Im sure there will be plenty of options after release.

Originally posted by Sequoia:

Which reminds me. Polys are still uneditable right? So modders won't be able to add goodies.

Yup, no editing the models themselves. On top of any other reasons they are very complex to set up with special info embedded into the model to tell it such things as which part of the tracks and which wheels should conform to the terrain (we were wondering how long it would take someone to notice that! smile.gif ), which parts are slack on the return rollders which also reacts as the vehicle moves, which parts are skirts, special info on some for hit detection, where the exhasust is and in which direction it flows, muzzles, shell ejection...the list goes on forever and I could probably write a small book on it :)

[ December 08, 2006, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

Originally posted by Gpig:

Very cool. The road wheels/suspension looks great. There should be a little hula-girl dashboard bobble on the front of that turret . . . ;)

Gpig

Hey Gpig! smile.gif

since you did not put you e-mail in your profile

I posted mine.

Drop me a line and let me know where you landed.

We should stay in touch.

tom w

Oh, that is super feckin l33t!

Today's my B-Day too, so this is a nice little present there Battlefront, thanks!

At this point in the game's development, the emotion I get is comparable to that warm, fuzzy feeling you might experience when your girl is dancing seductively in front of you and you know that within mere minutes, you'll get laid.

Pure contentment.

Dance for me Shock Force, dance for me! ;)

Originally posted by Sequoia:

So Kwazydog, If you read this, which artwork are you most proud of so far (and can we see it ;) ).

Hehe well I havnt even seen it in game yet but the T-72 would be pretty high up on the funky list I think. Once its in Im sure we can arrange a couple of shots.

I must add though one of the neatest vehicle features is the work Charles has done on the articualted suspension, it really adds a lot of momentum to vehicles. I spent about an hour just driving the M1 around a map when it went in game smile.gif

Originally posted by Ivan Drago:

Oh, that is super feckin l33t!

Today's my B-Day too, so this is a nice little present there Battlefront, thanks!

At this point in the game's development, the emotion I get is comparable to that warm, fuzzy feeling you might experience when your girl is dancing seductively in front of you and you know that within mere minutes, you'll get laid.

Pure contentment.

Dance for me Shock Force, dance for me! ;)

LOL.

I am most amazed by the terrain.

It is pretty simple, but the colour selection seems spot and the 'roll' of the hills has a very realistic look to it, not jagged and sharp like in other games.

And terrian makes 95% of what will be on our screens most of the time so its good that it was done right.

I thinks it looks incredible and so far is the best looking part of the game to me.

Is anyone else having errors occur when you try and click on the screenshots?