Special Forces options in CMSF

I set up a little test for SF types commanding some irregular forces and came up with a fantastic scenario idea.

Basicly, I loaded up cmbo, did a random map in a "town" in april of 45.

German forces had 1 platoon HQ and 1 squad of "elite" waffen SS, about the size of a A-team. They command a company of Green Volkstrum. I also gave them signifigant air support. The setup area was within the town.

Against them was an American infantry battalion 45 and a company of shermans.

My intent was to simulate how despite the small of very good troops the larger regular force would quickly overrun them. This is more or less what happened, with a twist.

My forces were completly wiped out within about 15 mins. However the game ended in a draw! We managed to produce about 300 casualties. About a 1/3 was from the 1 9 man SS squad. As predicted ammo proved to be the critical factor for the elite troops. Not suprisingly the air support was not terribly effective.

Here is my idea for a CMSF scenario:

You are a Syrain regular army captain. The army has managed to pin down an alpha team (with about a platoon of irregular militia to back them up) into small town. You must take your company (supported by a platoon of T-55s) and clear them out. That you will suceed is not really in question. The goal is to do it without it being an absolute bloodbath.

Not an easy task at all. Especially considering enamy air support (of considerably higher quality than in CMBO) I think this would be much more intresting than a more standard commando faire.

definetly, sounds great. It doesn't have to be just a commando faire, it can be anything the player wants. The fact is that special forces are used a lot in real warfare, under many circumstances with many different missions. So once again i ask, why not put in a significant factor of warfare into a game who's a part of a series that claims to be the most realistic war sim out there. i dont care how BFC decides to incorporate them into the game, as long as they are in there and fun to use. I can't beleive they dont see the potential of such units and the missions that they can offer and how much it wll expand the game beyond outnumbering the Syrians and pummeling them w/ ridiculous amounts of off-map supporting fire (and then theres always CAS).

I dont want them to be the main part of the game, im sure BFC will make the conventional battles somehow balanced, fun, and equal, and thats a lot of what i want to play. But i dont want the whole special forces aspect of warfare missing.

Thats just what I think.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

There might be SF guys in CM:SF, but in support of general forces. In other words, there might be a handful of SF guys in a scenario. If they are included they are not there to be Rambos, there are there to be like the real SF guys are... as a force multiplyer. Observation of the enemy, CAS, and other things are what a frontline commander would typically expect to see from SF the rare time they see them. Generally they wouldn't, and so neither should the player. Mogadishu was not at all a typical situation so take that one right out of the "but... " type arguments :D

Rangers, SEALs, and other Special Ops forces are absolutely not part of the plan for CM:SF. We don't see a Module of SF being interesting enough to do. Don't get me wrong, what they do is EXTREMELY interesting, but it is the sort of thing that is better suited to FPS games than what we are doing.

Steve

US Army Rangers are not really out of the question from a scenario point of view, as they operate in a distinclty diffrent fashion from the other Special Operations Forces mentioned. Platoon/Company/Battalion seized assault or blocking actions are still part of their mission profile and that would fit well into CM:SF.

You can't rule them out on the ground of them being part of SOCOM. ;) But if you choose to include them or not is another thing altogether. smile.gif

[ December 11, 2005, 03:39 AM: Message edited by: Jotte ]

Originally posted by Jotte:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

There might be SF guys in CM:SF, but in support of general forces. In other words, there might be a handful of SF guys in a scenario. If they are included they are not there to be Rambos, there are there to be like the real SF guys are... as a force multiplyer. Observation of the enemy, CAS, and other things are what a frontline commander would typically expect to see from SF the rare time they see them. Generally they wouldn't, and so neither should the player. Mogadishu was not at all a typical situation so take that one right out of the "but... " type arguments :D

Rangers, SEALs, and other Special Ops forces are absolutely not part of the plan for CM:SF. We don't see a Module of SF being interesting enough to do. Don't get me wrong, what they do is EXTREMELY interesting, but it is the sort of thing that is better suited to FPS games than what we are doing.

Steve

US Army Rangers are not really out of the question from a scenario point of view, as they operate in a distinclty diffrent fashion from the other Special Operations Forces mentioned. Platoon/Company/Battalion seized assault or blocking actions are still part of their mission profile and that would fit well into CM:SF.

You can't rule them out on the ground of them being part of SOCOM. ;) But if you choose to include them or not is another thing altogether. smile.gif </font>

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I think BFC has a great idea, include a single "Rambo" character among selectable units! A muscley little guy with long hair and no shirt running around (without fatiguing) firing an old M60 from the hip. Unable to be commanded by the player, of course. Then 30 seconds into the game, after he's dead, we can continue on with the rest of the game.

LOL, thats a great idea. The best idea since sliced bread. I needed a good laugh, thanks. :D

Well, in CMAK we had rangers for the US forces. It would be simple enough to do the same thing in CM:SF - just another infantry type, with different organization and such, but still basically the same. Really, you could just have higher-quality regular troops and say they're rangers. But with true SF, you're really opening a whole new can of worms. If you're doing SF and indigs, you have to make all the indig forces, and little one-squad SF raids would not be fun to play at all.