Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Demo crash

I recently downloaded the Demo to see how I liked the game, but I have yet to be able to finish a scenario due to crashes.

This game crashes me so hard I have to restart the computer when it freezes up.

I am Running with the following equipment.

AMD Athlon 650

Biostar mainboard with the most up to date bios available

Nvidia Riva TNT2 with the most recent drivers V6.5

Creative labs soundblaster live value also with the most recent drivers

Direct X 8

I am Using Win 2K with all the latest updates available from microsoft

I'm hoping you will tell me that the demo has problems and that the full version runs fine as I don't want to buy a coaster.

I managed to play long enough to get hooked after my Stug III's demolished the Shermans so I'm hoping that this is a fixable problem.

Thanks

The Gold Demo is based on CM 1.02 (still). However I'm not aware of any patches that have addressed any possible problems in W2K. Are you overclocking your Athlon ? Do you have the latest chipset drivers for your board (whether it's VIA or AMD) ?

You may want to try a different version of the NVidia Detonators to see if that helps or not. Some people have reported decent results with the 7.52 driver (though it is still considered Beta).

Reactorcritical (go to TNT/TNT2 section and pay attention to the particular OS for the driver):

http://www.reactorcritical.com/download.shtml

Unfortunately I can't guarantee that if you buy the full version you won't have problems. However CM is probably the most bug-free 3D game available. Many of the issues most people have often come down to drivers or configuration. You'll read problems about this or that (which can often be opinions about how someone feels CM should run rather than an actual bug), but CM in general has very few bugs at this stage.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help, I downloaded the drivers you suggested and found my problem, after changing drivers, my video card really started going screwy, so I bought a new one, and I have to say

GOD THIS IS A GREAT DEMO!

my wife won't let me buy the game as my birthday is just a couple weeks away, I can't wait, because if I don't get it from her for my birthday, I can assure you that I'll be buying my own present!

until then, take em on the flank,

firehound