Occupied Halftracks

I'm not sure if this is a deliberate design feature, but it's sometimes annoyingly difficult to figure out which halftracks have troops in them and which don't.

I don't mind having to hit enter to figure out exactly what a halftrack is carrying.

But I find it odd that the only way to tell if there is someone in a halftrack or not is to get up close and look at it, or to highlight it and hit enter.

I don't necessarily need to be told on the front of the interface who is in there, just that someone is.

This becomes an issue when you're playing a big scenario on a big map.

Because you have so many units to control you tend to play from a higher level than normal. So you can't tell that a halftrack has someone in it or not by glancing at it.

And you won't move the halftracks that close to the front line because they explode as soon as someone looks at them.

So your infantry will dismount when the halftrack is at a safe distance from the front lines.

More specifically, when it is in the rear area where your halftrack-mounted FO is probably loitering.

So when you come back to play the next turn a few days later, you discover you're playing button-button with your artillery observer: his halftrack is nicely camouflaged by the dozen empty ones that the infantry was using.

So it would be really nice to be able to tell, by clicking on a unit, that the halftrack has 59 rounds of machine gun amo left, and that it has as passengers Hans' squad of Katzenjammerers.

I don't think this was left out as a realism issue, and was probably just a minor design oversight that was on the original list of things to do.

I expect it'll be easier to see which halftracks are occupied, especially if there is a whole squad inside. Because you'll see each and every member of that squad. (That half track is going to be packed!)

But it would be nice if you were looking for your FO, that his radio antenna might help you to find him. smile.gif

GPig