1:1 representation and casualties

vincere

First of all, there is no such thing as "sprites" in either CMx1 or CMx2 :D Sprite is a technical term for 2D animations. And that's the problem with the 3D stuff. Sprites are failry easy to make and code into the game, 3D animations are not. We simply do not have the resources and time to make animations for everything that can go on during a battle, so some stuff has to be abstracted. That is partly why the casualties have to be abstracted.

The other thing people have to keep in mind is that CM is a combat simulator. It is not a convoy simulator, not a counter-insurgency sim, not a crowd control sim, not a logistics sim, not a special operations sim, etc. These are all things that are tied into frontline combat, but in and of themselves rather involved sims in their own right. If we tried to simualte even one of these things, in the same amount of detail as combat, we'd be looking at a late 2008 ship date. Worse, I don't think many people would like to engage in an hour long scenario specifically simulating bringing hot food to combat units :D

So yup, there are going to be some things that are abstracted, some of which are going to be abstracted a lot. Casualty collection and evacuation is one such thing.

Steve

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bump

I just wanted to look at Gpig's art work again

Jon

if you are reading this can you send me an e-mail with your new e-mail address?

company2ks.jpg

I thought there were more examples of Gpig's art work in this thread? (wondering where it went?)

thanks

tom w

[ December 05, 2006, 03:09 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]