This is so freakin frustrating, Is there a better PCI card than G4 MX420?

Shatter

My bro has very slow frame rate (actually terrible) with his PC. It is an older PC.

Pent 3 700 Mhz

Voodoo 5500 PCI

256 MBRam

Win ME

I have done all I can to fix the issue, formated HD fresh install of everything, and nothing, also tried changing settings of every kind and still nothing.

So my last choice is to update his PC or by a whole new PC and give him my current PC. First I thought I would try a new Vid card. Only prob is that the only card I can find better than the Voodoo 5500 PCI he has, is G4 MX420. Which is not that much better.

So my question is there better PCI card on the market better than the G4 MX420 that is PCI???

Now before some comes along and says the G4 MX440 or MX460, I already checked hundreds of sites and MX440 & MX460 are only AGP, unless somebody can show me othert wise.

MAN PCI SUCKS :mad:

[ September 28, 2002, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: Shatter ]

Originally posted by Kapitein KAB:

BUY A NEW MAINBOARD AND PROCESSOR, NOT ALL THAT EXPENSIVE NOWADAYS!!!!!!!!

PCI SUX, AGP HAS BEEN AROUND FOR SOME YEARS NOW U KNOW!!!!!

DRIVE SAFELY.

Well I am not sure about the caps, but if you trying to piss me off your doing a pretty good job. :mad:

I am trying to help my little brother at (my expense) to get his PC running CMBB desently. Now some damn noobie student punk who has only posted 4 time to the board comes along yelling in my direction. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Now if the caps was not meant I am sorry, but I have been doing all I can for the past 3 days to get my bros PC able to run CMBB and I am very frustrated.

[ September 28, 2002, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: Shatter ]

Originally posted by brooktrout:

Here are a couple of links for MX440 PCI versions:

http://www.inno3d.com/product_geforce4_mx440_2_pci.html

http://www.prolink.com.tw/new_web/products/vga/g4/GeForce4%20MX440.htm

Couldn't find the MX460 in PCI. I thought that I had seen one before.

Thanks for the links, I did happen to find a G4 MX440, but it was worse than my Bros Voodoo 5500 PCI vid card. I am not really sure where the specs of the card came from becasue they are not right at all, at least with my Bros PC.

G4 MX440

Listed as

Core Speed: 270 MHz

Memory Speed: 400 MHz

Only achieved these benchmarks

MX440:

Core Speed: 150 MHz

Memory Speed: 200 MHz.

So I am giving up on the PCI crap, and either gonna get a new Motherboard and Processor or a whole new PC and give him mine.

Originally posted by Shatter:

So I am giving up on the PCI crap, and either gonna get a new Motherboard and Processor or a whole new PC and give him mine.

Unfortunately, that's probably what you have to do. I used to have a PCI-only "value computer," and I tried several different PCI cards, but the real problem is the PCI bandwidth, and there's no good way around it.

Have you tried reducing the color depth of the bmp's in the Bmp folder? I had some problems with CMBO and reducing the color depth of all the bmp files to 256 colors with Irfanview helped considerably. The graphics run more smoothly and the color depth is not noticeably affected. I am currently running a P3 1ghz, 384mb ram, 32mb geforce2 gts at 1024 x 768 75 Hz.

Originally posted by LibertyOrDeath:

Have you tried reducing the color depth of the bmp's in the Bmp folder? I had some problems with CMBO and reducing the color depth of all the bmp files to 256 colors with Irfanview helped considerably. The graphics run more smoothly and the color depth is not noticeably affected. I am currently running a P3 1ghz, 384mb ram, 32mb geforce2 gts at 1024 x 768 75 Hz.

Thanks for the info, but I have had it with my Bros againg PC, it just not worth upgraging.

I went out today and got with my local PC guy, (that I had build my last PC, which is going to my Bro).

I got:

Pent 4 2.533ghz processor

512 MB DDR Ram

40gig Hd

G4 Vision Tech(Xtacey)Ti4600 128MB DDRMem Vid card

19" monitor (can't remember brand of the top of my head)

Full size tower

DVD/CD-rom

TDK Burner X24 burn rate

Cheap Cannon printer (don't do much printing)

Boston Accoustics surround sound speaker, (2 Subwoofers & 6 smaller speakers)

And there is more but I can remember right now. All this for $1292 after rebates, and 6 months same as cash.

I am really pleased with what I got for the money.