Terrain Type "Regions"

Hi All,

I ran a quick search and the terrain threads are much too confusing, especially after watching the video review on Youtube.

Will the terrain be set as "regions" like in the CM1 engine? Where you would see "Woods" or "Brush" and such, or now with the 1x1 modelling of units you can determine how good the terrain is for cover just by looking at it?

Also, if I see a group of soldiers in what seems like bushes - do the soldiers that are 'behind' a bush are better concealed than ones that are not actually behind one?

Thanks,

Itai

The new engine works differently than the old engine. While there still are "tiles", they now only serve the purpose of making map creation easier. The simulation itself is using a WYSIWYG approach. While the underlying terrain a unit is on still a factor to some extent (if you have a unit in tall grass, it's more difficult to spot etc.), and there still is SOME abstraction going on for "micro cover", it is much less so than for CMx1. Objects (e.g. trees, or street lights or signs, etc) in CMSF do block LOS and LOF at their actual location, and are represented one by one.

Martin

When making a map you can add tall yellow grass, then put some brush on top it, then put some tree cover on top of THAT ...in 4 different densitied and LOTs of different tree types! I believe when you walk your troops though the trees they will actually tend to walk 'around' the individual tree trunks instead of thru. I also believe a nice stout tree trunk might add a bit of protection, though I'm not 100% on that.

I still play CM:SF the way I played CM:BB to be honest - from up high where I can see what's going on. Especially in real time. As pretty as the terrain is - especially for screen shots or vid caps - I've always preferred being up above where I can have an overall view. Apparently I've been missing out on all kinds of things as far as detailed bullet tracking, penetrating rounds, ricochets tracked, etc. Given the squad-based interface, I've never convinced myself of any necessity to go down low and see if the divots need replacing.

The ability to layer terrain, as MikeyD points out, though, is an excellent feature - you can have forest with dense underbrush, or orchards with clear lines of sight between rows of trees - with very minor changes in the editor.

Originally posted by dima:

Are trees destructible?

From what I've seen if they take hits they lose leaves etc. I've not deliberately targeted a tree to see if I can KO it. Must admit there are other targets more deserving of my ammo smile.gif

Only two days to go and you can shoot up as many trees as you like - or BMPs, T-72s, Abrams, Strykers et al smile.gif

Cheers fur noo

George

Originally posted by George Mc:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by dima:

Are trees destructible?

From what I've seen if they take hits they lose leaves etc. I've not deliberately targeted a tree to see if I can KO it. Must admit there are other targets more deserving of my ammo smile.gif

Only two days to go and you can shoot up as many trees as you like - or BMPs, T-72s, Abrams, Strykers et al smile.gif

Cheers fur noo

George </font>

Originally posted by AdamL:

So how do you guys (Battlefront & CO) get around the fact that there is virtually no cover modeled outside urban areas in all the screenshots?

Not sure what we are supposed to be 'getting around' as such, so Im not sure of the actual question here? smile.gif There are plenty of terrain types available incluyding tall and short grass, trees, bushes, brush, etc, if thats what you mean, so basically what you are seeing in screen shots is what the scenario designer included for that particular scenario.

Dan

[ July 25, 2007, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

Originally posted by AdamL:

Sorry Dan, what I mean was rather what our infantry will do if they don't have microterrain available to them in a wysiwyg game.

Adam, Im not too up to scratch on the technical details on the engine, but I do beleive that some base cover level is assumed depending on the terrain type your soldier is in, which represents the minor details and cover not visible to the player. Also all flavour objects such as telephone poles, barrels, rocks, tree stumps, etc, etc provide cover, and I think there are several dozen of those (beyond the regular terrain types).