Cheery Waffles, woodland critters and Goodale's shock and awe...

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few weeks back this guy came to my door and said if I didn't lock in my natural gas at a fixed rate with his company I wouldn't be able to afford to heat my house in a few years.

I told him I don't negotiate with companies that use fear-tactics and asked him if the last guy who came knocking on my door from his company ever told him about me and my views on fair market prices versus fixed rates and contracts that are only binding for the consumer and not the supplier.

He was lucky I wasn't hung over this time. Nothing gets my Irish up more than being hung and having some swarmy bastard working for some unscrupulous company bugging me on a Saturday afternoon, trying to rip me off with an above market priced contract that I can't break but they can.

I still remember the first guy, after a solid round of verbal abuse and four letter words he went next door and asked if they knew me because I sure was a grumpy jerk. My father-in-law said no.

What a peach.

jr

J Ruddy best way to get rid of those jerk-offs is tell them to fook off and turn loose the hounds. Give them notice that they are trespassing, allow them one minute to leave and they will quickly retreat. Implying that you shoot trespassers also tends to move them along...but you are a Canuck and they know you couldn't possible own a firearm so leave that bit out.

Empty threats just emboldens maggots.

I might as well chime in with a gripe.

There is no end to the people who will bang on your door wanting to sell you something.

But it is nigh-impossible to find anyone who will actually do a job well. Case in point: we are having a sprinkler system installed. Should be great, except there's one hangup. We can't get the company that marks utility lines to mark the backyard.

They've come by twice - when we've been home, mind you, though we only saw they were here as they were leaving - and each time, stopped at the gates to the backyard and left. The first time, the gate was locked but we were home. The second time, the gate was clearly unlocked and we were still home. Neither time did they attempt to ring the doorbell; each time we first saw them as they were driving away.

Perhaps they are afraid of my massively frightening 9 month old yellow lab. Even assuming that yellow labs could be terrifying, he was in the house at the time.

Gah.

Originally posted by Abbott:

Is there anything more fun then having Jehovah's Witness knocking at your door?

Having a pair of them show up (an elder and one in training) at the door of your very laid back, hippy-ish Biblical Literature professor.

Dr. Frank invited them in, offering them a glass of wine. The Elder Jehovah's Witness politely refused, but looked a little uncomfortable.

The Jehovah's Witnesses then sat on the living room couch and began their work.

They explained that Dr. Frank needed to become a Jehovah's Witness to avoid going to Hell.

I liked his bemused reaction.

I also liked the part when the Jehovah's Witnesses began explainging certain passages in the Bible to Dr. Frank.

Dr. Frank said he thought their interpretation was a little off, and that the Jehovah's Witnesses should check their English translation of the passage against the original Greek.

By this time, the Elder Jehovah's Witness begins to look a little nervous (more so than he did when he politely declined the glass of wine).

The capper was when Dr. Frank pulled out his study Bible (yes, in the original Greek), and begins a short presentation about the passage in question, explaining the actual meaning of the words used in the original Greek passage and patiently explaining why the Jehovah's Witnesses have incorrectly interpreted the passage.

Reaqlly, it was as though he were describing a very basic principle to a rather dull student (or Oddstraylyun).

The Elder Jehovah's Witness was off the couch by now, pulling at the sleeve of the younger man, insisting that they had to Leave.Right.Now.

Meanwhile, the younger guy was asking Dr. Frank where to get a copy of "one of them Greek-style bibles?"

The Elder Jehovah's Witness finally dragged the younger man out of the house. We watched him rebuke the younger man as they walked down the street. He didn't stop talking -- he was still going at it when they rounded the corner and headed off to the next block.

They didn't stop at any more houses on Dr. Frank's block -- too dangerous, I presume.

Memories.

Steve

It's a scary world when one faces it without prejudice.

BTW, what brings you to the Waffle MrSpnkr? Seeing how the better half live? I hope you brought molten TNT, some maggots and a lot of these things.... :mad: .

Or least some beer. And make it good, none of that diet, canned crap that only a Candian would drink.

[ June 28, 2007, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: mike_the_wino ]

A Puddy, you Canucks can sure effe up a beer almost as good as the Belgians. ****e is chock full of 4-ethyl phenol and seems like a stall that needs mucking out......much like your vacant noggin.

And as a pleasant aside, we denizens of the Left Coast are blessed with all manner of goodness that you moose-humpers can only dream of....and that sh*tty beer you mentioned is one of them. Hell, I may just go some and pour it out just to deny you from it.

:mad:

I spent 2 weeks out of 4 every months in LA LA land for three years and all I ever saw in the bars was MGD, Corona and Bud. Gawd, I thought I had died and gone to hell, either that or a nascar race... :mad:

Don't mess with Flanders (or Wallonia for that matter! )

Hoegaarden > Yank swill (Yes, even > Sam Adams stuff)

:mad:

Originally posted by mike_the_wino:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by J Ruddy:

..... and all I ever saw in the bars was MGD, Corona and Bud.

Pretty common on tap for gay bars....or so I am told. Didn't you notice all the men wore mustaches and most of the women as well? </font>