Why not...

gibsonm,

No disrespect to family War loss, but my comment was couched from the standpoint of the U.S. marketplace, which Steve has said plays a big role in what gets designed. Most people in the States know relatively little about the War in the Pacific, and if they do, it's island hopping with the Marines and the Army.

The upcoming HBO miniseries may raise the overall awareness and perceived "coolness" of Pacific Theater wargames (History Channel already has a Pacific War shooter out, stupidly single player, no co-op), but most Americans have never heard of the Kokoda Trail in New Guinea, let alone Kohima or Imphal and basically know squat all about what our allies did in theater. Sad, but true. I myself knew vanishingly little about the Burma Campaign before I read Tuchman's STILWELL: The American Experience in China, and that, admittedly, was many moons ago and isn't exactly focused on what you're talking about. I personally prefer toolkits that let me explore more than one aspect of wherever I'm supposedly fighting.

Speaking of Kohima and Imphal, it occurs to me you might be able to do something along those lines in CMAK. I know, for example, Grants were in use, together with a lot of otherwise obsolete armor, and the Italians would make dandy Japanese.

Regards,

John Kettler

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Speaking of Kohima and Imphal, it occurs to me you might be able to do something along those lines in CMAK. I know, for example, Grants were in use, together with a lot of otherwise obsolete armor, and the Italians would make dandy Japanese.

Regards,

John Kettler

It might be possible, but I’ll leave it to someone else.

Oh and around here most call it the Kokoda Track, I think “Trail” was introduced by the US just after the war.

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Secondbrooks,

Was just reading about mine dogs in Suvorov's SPETSNAZ. There's a picture of a mine dog and his handler just prior to Kursk, and Suvorov describes the much more powerful and fuzing sophisticated version in SPETSNAZ use circa 1980s. Two birds with one stone!

Regards,

John Kettler

So they were using or planning to use dogs in sabotage(?) or antivehicle role back in 80s?

We also could have Soviet extra-large IED's which blows terrain features to faces of aggresors. Bury enough explosives (couple truckloads) to "friendly" bank of road and when enemy division attacks blow the whole road to enemy's eyes... 'divisional claymore' i believe is/was it's name.

But those would be for cold war module... And 'divisional claymore' would be most suitable maybe for CMx2 Cold War Campaigns?

Is BFC taking notes?

The “East is Red” is the title of an old (ancient?) Simulations Publications Inc (SPI) game about a Soviet invasion of China in the 70’s. More detail on this here.

I just figured if you were going to go off with the pixies putting in Divisional demolitions on a small (max 4km x 4km) map, you might as well got for broke and have the battle on the irradiated edges of the map around a big hole.

Originally posted by gibsonm:

The “East is Red” is the title of an old (ancient?) Simulations Publications Inc (SPI) game about a Soviet invasion of China in the 70’s. More detail on this here.

I just figured if you were going to go off with the pixies putting in Divisional demolitions on a small (max 4km x 4km) map, you might as well got for broke and have the battle on the irradiated edges of the map around a big hole.

Yeah, I never could break through the mountains and take Peking in that game. Old memories. smile.gif

Loved CMBO because it was a 3D wargame for wargamers.. Like playing miniatures without the expense and work.

Bought CMBB because it was a Battlefront product that improved the CMx1 engine...I even (yawn) played it...some.

Loved CMAK...It offered BOTH desert and NWE. It allowed me to play US NA with Lee's, M3 GMC's and remains my favorite theatre of war.

Stopped playing CMx1 CMAK, saved my completely modded version to CD in Sept 2007 and have never looked back.

I don't expect my purchase of a wargame keeps the genre alive and well. But I do support Companies that produce wargames that appeal to me in hopes that my small contribution helps. So When CMx2 Ost comes out I'll buy it...Hell, I'll pre-order it direct from BFC (like always)...just don't think I'm gonna LOVE it just because Steve and a bunch East Front FanBoi's have finally gotten their T34's...LOL.. ;)

Originally posted by gibsonm:

Some much good things from 70's.. Finally i'm shamed that i haven't even been born yet back then. Boardgames closest to wargames which i have played have been warhammer 40k Space Hulk... I'm just computer-wargamer-wannabe :D

I think heavier ordinance, mines and divisional claymore, would be suitable material for CMx2 Campaigns 'The cold war'-module or Combat Mission Campaigns 'The cold war'-module... If one will come at some time.

Secondbrooks,

That is correct. Spetsnaz could use Ivan Fidoevich

to run a bomb under a VIP vehicle, Pershing transporter, etc. Not good for the dog, but potentially most effective.

gibsonm,

Both sides had manportable nukes. Suvorov talks in one of his books about the consternation in the General Staff when it was discovered the special wartime chambers for these were all where the VDV airborne divisions were supposed to land! Further, both sides envisioned their use by SpecOps, and I've heard retired Army Lt. Col. Bo Gritz, formerly, head of U.S. Special Forces for Central and South America, describe the "Blue Fire" drills where the nuclear components were inserted. Said "fire" was visible nuclear radiation. Since we're talking SPI games, there was also the famous Dunnigan nuclear "simulation" of soaking the entire board and counters in lighter fluid, then igniting it.

handihoc,

An effect observable in real Japanese soldiery when August Storm hit Manchuria and the Kwantung Army dissolved!

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by handihoc:

'handihoc,

An effect observable in real Japanese soldiery when August Storm hit Manchuria and the Kwantung Army dissolved!

Regards,

John Kettler'

----

Interesting. That's a new one to me. Will have to read it up. Thanks for the pointer.

At first reading I thought he meant they were soluble like the Wicked Witch of the West.

BigAlMoho,

p.s. Would you please ban me so that I won't be tempted to post here anymore...
Are you serious? You mean that I should ban you because you can't accept that someone thinks that popularity is better reflected by sales than by longevity? Or is it because you're so deeply insulted that someone who loves CMBB the most (that would be me) doesn't think he should take a 40% paycut and tick off 40% of our customers simply because there is a healthy CMBB ladder out there?

OK, I can lock up your account if you really want me to, but sheesh... that would be the strangest circumstance ever for a lockdown. Well, it's your choice.

Steve

Originally posted by handihoc:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by John Kettler:

and the Italians would make dandy Japanese.

Only problem being that their Banzai charge would tend to be in the wrong direction.

(Meee-owww!) </font>

Guest BigAlMoho
Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

BigAlMoho,

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />p.s. Would you please ban me so that I won't be tempted to post here anymore...

Are you serious? You mean that I should ban you because you can't accept that someone thinks that popularity is better reflected by sales than by longevity? Or is it because you're so deeply insulted that someone who loves CMBB the most (that would be me) doesn't think he should take a 40% paycut and tick off 40% of our customers simply because there is a healthy CMBB ladder out there?

OK, I can lock up your account if you really want me to, but sheesh... that would be the strangest circumstance ever for a lockdown. Well, it's your choice.

Steve </font>

BigAlMoho,

No, I simply don't understand why you want to be so dramatic about something that is so trivial. So, I asked if you were really serious. Apparently you are so reluctantly I'll ban you as requested. I still think it's a bit over the top, however we do take requests here. And that includes unbanning you if you should change your mind later.

Steve

how popular are certain games in google searches? where are certain games popular, regionally, in google searches?

of course there are a good number of variables at play here so the results aren't too relevant, but nonetheless fun/interesting:

EDIT: dear heavens, had to TinyURL the links.

Shock Force:

Regions

1. Hungary

2. Finland

3. Germany

4. Poland

5. Spain

6. United Kingdom

7. Canada

8. Italy

9. France

10. United States