Why not...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Molotov Cocktail:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by RommL:

While looking at the period of cmsf (three months of fight) I thought about an idea for the CMx2.

the French campaign May June 40...

I think that this campaign may involve a lot of players. ;)

Maybe not so commercially viable, there are no U.S troops for American players </font>

What I'd like to see is Market Garden. One of the most interesting, varied and quite unique multi-national allied vs German operations of WW2. Endlessly fascinating, an extraordinary campaign, handled well (though with flaws)some years ago in Close Combat, and now, with the current CMx2 engine so powerful, what could the BF boys do with that campaign?

I think 1940 would have been a great first ww2 game. It's not so played out as D-Day, and plenty of the type of people that buy wargames would be interested. In many ways it meets BFC's stated goals to make more limited but more engaging games, or the depth over breadth approach.

We have a complete campaign that is both geographically and chronologically short. For this reason there are relatively limited vehicle types, low tech, a strong infantry and small arms focus.

You can start Germans vs French then add Brits and/or Belgians as beefy and worth-buying modules. You get the French terrain sorted out but you don't need bocage and any Normandy specific stuff.

So yes it would be nice but I don't think it's going to happen any time in the forseeable future.

Bulge.

Not quite as overdone as Normandy, features fighting going both ways, a moving line, at least a little variety of weather and plenty of terrain, has Americans, has "super cool" late war German armor, has storied feats of arms and less sung stuff ups, source material unlimited.

It is the natural choice.

So the original suggestion is about the right venue, just the wrong year...

Steve once suggested Market-Garden and Airborne troops of Britain, U.S. and Germany be a module of the first game so your hopes there may be fulfilled. My guess for the second game will be "Fall of the Reich", Germany spring '45 as they could do a Soviet module after they do the U.S. and Commonwealth. Bulge would be my guess for the third WWII game as by then they'd have most of the work done already and perhaps could even offer it at a reduced price.

I'd love to see a France 1940 game myself too, but unless they get more help (hopefully with high sales from the first WWII game and CMSF modules) it may never happen.

I think after Normandy there are some obvious "Western" modules before going "East".

If the launch Normandy game is just US v German and named after one of the US beaches ( although covering a wider area than just the beach) or Patton's breakout from Normandy, CM:OC, Operation Cobra.

The obvious follow on would be the allies, with British, Free French and Canadians in the push to Le Havre.

After that the obvious add on's are the big operations, Market Garden, Husky, Shingle and Wacht am Rhein.

Peter.

Originally posted by Peter Cairns:

I think after Normandy there are some obvious "Western" modules before going "East".

If the launch Normandy game is just US v German and named after one of the US beaches ( although covering a wider area than just the beach) or Patton's breakout from Normandy, CM:OC, Operation Cobra.

The obvious follow on would be the allies, with British, Free French and Canadians in the push to Le Havre.

After that the obvious add on's are the big operations, Market Garden, Husky, Shingle and Wacht am Rhein.

Peter.

My own recommendation:

1. US (non-Airborne) vs. Wehrmacht. D+1 to breakout. Focus: Get the basic engine right for WWII using a strictly limited TO+E and terrain set. Countryside/ hedgerows, villes and small streams. Modders can cover Italy/Sicily using CMSF arid terrain sets while we await the next module.

* (just my opinion, but DON'T include the beaches themselves. It's a VERY unusual terrain set and getting it right would divert BFC resources from more important fundamentals like on-map mortars).

2. Brits/Canucks/Free French/Poles and SS. Caen to Paris. Add urban/industrial terrain sets and cement fortifications. Fill out details on arty/air support and weather (rainstorms).

3. Allied airborne troops, FJ and partisans. Big rivers and at last! the beaches. Bridges and boats/LCVPs/DUKWs/Buffaloes for Market Garden, Metz, Antwerp, etc. Add some of the "Funnies" (Crocodiles, Crabs, Calliopes, AVRE, etc.)

4. Bulge to Berchtesgaden. Build out the unit sets post 9/44: Hetzers, Konigstigers, Volksgrenadiers, Pershings. Tall dark pine forests and snow. Hurtgenwald, Vosges, etc.

Just one man's opinion.

I'm one of those guys that is pretty much interested in any historical matchup that provides an interesting fight. 1940s France is definitely one of them. Unfortunately, as a game developer I have to go for what I think will compensate us for our efforts. At least initially. That puts 1940s France out of the running. No Americans, no Tigers, 1/2 the vehicles aren't even known to most players and the other 1/2 are the "primitive" versions of the ones they do know, etc.

Out of the three CMx1 games I do agree that CMBB is the "most interesting". Definitely my favorite of the three. However, CMBO did (as Rune said) outsell CMBB by quite a large margin. Why? No Americans, lack of interest in playing as the Soviets, very little interest in early war hardware, and very little interest in playing the Axis Minors. I don't understand why WW2 gamers are generally focused on just France 1944-45, but that's been the trend for 40+ years of wargaming so not much we feel we can do to break out of that rut. If CMBB couldn't manage it I doubt anything could.

Market Garden is, as Handihoc and Elmar said, a very good setting for CMx2. It will certainly happen sooner rather than later.

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Market Garden is, as Handihoc and Elmar said, a very good setting for CMx2. It will certainly happen sooner rather than later.

Steve

Yippee! :D Bring it on!!

:cool:

One question, Steve. There's never any mention of a Pacific Theatre - either by you or (rarely) other games producers. Yet it's full of Americans, so commercially viable from your pov, very varied settings, entirely different to Europe/N.Africa/Russia, and could be extremely challenging for players. It would probably need lots of seaborne and air support, but I would imagine that's do-able, so why is it so unpopular?