Mount ... Embark

Originally posted by slug88:

Just tried it. It seems that you're right, it won't let you load in the first turn (yellow icon), presumably because the strykers and the infantry are in different zones.

Yes this seems to be a bug. Infantry is unable to mount up with vehicles in a different zone, but only from the setup turn. This is only very likely to happen in the training mission because virtually every scenario designer will put a mounted formation in one zone with its vehicles.

Try playing the training scenario in real time mode, as soon as the scenario starts you can reissue the orders.

Originally posted by slug88:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MarkEzra:

Rik81: This is not a game problem. You just seem to be confused.

1. Lt click on an inf sqd (preferable the sqd the vehicle belongs to... 2nd sqd goes with 2nd vehicle, ect )

2. Lt click on the "move" button

3. Center the mouse cursor on the vehicle until you see the green icon with an arrow pointing downward... lt click to load.

It's simple and works each time.

BUT: when you get a green icon with a lateral arrow YOU are NOT placing the cursor over the vehicle

OR: When you get a yellow icon it means either you are trying to load troops into an already FULLY loaded vehicle or the inf unit you have selected is too large to load or add to a vehicle.

Mark, I think that it may be a game problem, as per my post. You're not allowed to give an embark order for the first turn, it always displays a yellow arrow. </font>

Within the context of Embark/Dismount in a WEGO game, I think it's the carrier vehicles that could use an extra command: Pause Until Embark

I hate having to estimate how long to pause the carrier to allow sufficient time for everyone to climb on board. If you get it wrong, the carrier takes off before everyone is loaded. The conservative move is to wait and waste a turn.

• 4 months later...
Within the context of Embark/Dismount in a WEGO game, I think it's the carrier vehicles that could use an extra command: Pause Until Embark

I hate having to estimate how long to pause the carrier to allow sufficient time for everyone to climb on board. If you get it wrong, the carrier takes off before everyone is loaded. The conservative move is to wait and waste a turn.

I would love to see this too...since I'm a WEGO fan. Any chance to get this in a patch?

• 1 month later...
No, but considering the 'acquire' command takes no time, it is arguably not too unrealistic to have to waste 30-40 seconds of your turn scrabbling around for stuff (depending on how late in the turn you board).

Dont mind the time delay, thats not the point. The point I was making that we cant queve(sp?) orders, like embark - aquire 2000 ammo, disembark, face, fire arc.

Now I have to order them to embark, wait for the end of turn, click on them again, then give orders.

• 1 month later...

Loading up the Strykers in the training mission is only problematic for the platoon HQ/weapons squad vehicle. The squads mount their vehicles easily enough, but there seems to be some sort of traffic jam mounting the MG teams and HQ.

Usually, one of the MG teams gets stuck outside, it seems that they "time out" after waiting too long to mount the vehicle, causing them to seek cover nearby and try again next turn. I reloaded the scenario a few times, trying to establish the optimum mounting sequence (using pauses to force teams to mount in sequence) for use in later scenarios, but it didn't seem to make any difference. If you tell multiple teams to mount the same vehicle at the same time, they wait for the first team to finish mounting (and for the ramp to close) before the second team starts to mount and so on...

Another thing I can't do on WEGO is tell a team to dismount from their vehicle and mount a different vehicle in the same turn (not that this happens very often).

This is simply something I've noticed, not something I'm angry about and want a "fix" for. I'm happy with the way the game works and would say something if I thought otherwise!

• 1 year later...

Having just downloaded and had a go at the demo, it seems that the current version it's fixed: all the squads mount up in minute 1, no problem. It takes a bit longer for the HQ and MGs to load, but they're all buttoned up with a few seconds to go, if you just click them in, and you can make it smoother if you move the HQ (nearest) at Fast, the next nearest MG at Quick and the other at Move. IIRC.

• 4 years later...

My question is directly related but doesn't seem to have been answered, so I'll ask here:

When playing WEGO, is there a way to have an APC finish its route and then unload the infantry, in the same turn? I can't seem to get it to work (they always jump out and watch the Striker race to his destination), but I'm not sure if it's me or the game and it's a rather crucial mechanic with APCs.

Or is the workaround to 'pause' the infantry for the duration of the ride, then 'pause' the apc for dismounting, then withdraw the APC to the overwatch position? That would be awfully hit-and-miss without a preview.

My question is directly related but doesn't seem to have been answered, so I'll ask here:

When playing WEGO, is there a way to have an APC finish its route and then unload the infantry, in the same turn? I can't seem to get it to work (they always jump out and watch the Striker race to his destination), but I'm not sure if it's me or the game and it's a rather crucial mechanic with APCs.

Or is the workaround to 'pause' the infantry for the duration of the ride, then 'pause' the apc for dismounting, then withdraw the APC to the overwatch position? That would be awfully hit-and-miss without a preview.

Yes. Give the vehicle a move order to the unloading point. This must be the vehicle's final waypoint. Give the infantry a move order to where you want them to go. When the vehicle gets to its waypoint, the infantry will dismount and move to their waypoint.

This method is nearly always better than the Dismount command, which is largely more useful during set up or Real Time play.

Yes. Give the vehicle a move order to the unloading point. This must be the vehicle's final waypoint. Give the infantry a move order to where you want them to go. When the vehicle gets to its waypoint, the infantry will dismount and move to their waypoint.

This method is nearly always better than the Dismount command, which is largely more useful during set up or Real Time play.

Thanks! I thought I had tried this variant but I guess I was discouraged by the fact that the path marker starts at the vehicles current position. Now that it works I can't remember what I was doing that made them jump out at the start point. Maybe 'dismount' as an initial command?

Anyway, all is good now. :D

Thanks! I thought I had tried this variant but I guess I was discouraged by the fact that the path marker starts at the vehicles current position. Now that it works I can't remember what I was doing that made them jump out at the start point. Maybe 'dismount' as an initial command?

Anyway, all is good now. :D

Yes, more than likely you were selecting dismount. That has the effect of making them dismount at the start of the turn. This does have its uses - it allows you to dismount infantry and then move the AFV, in one turn. Whereas the other method allows you to move the AFV, and then dismount the infantry. What you can't do, with either method, is move the AFV, dismount the infantry, then move the AFV, all in one turn.

So, in WEGO particularly, it pays to try and finish the turn with an eye on what you want to happen next turn - eg finish turn with AFV at drop off point, start new turn and dismount infantry, moving and firing AFV in support.

Jock is correct.

DISMOUNT means immediate dismount BEFORE the vehicle moves.

If you give a movement command to a passenger and then a movement command to the vehicle, the inf will dismount at the vehicle's final waypoint. Passenger cannot (automatically) dismount at any intermediate waypoint.

• 1 month later...

Jock is correct.

DISMOUNT means immediate dismount BEFORE the vehicle moves.

If you give a movement command to a passenger and then a movement command to the vehicle, the inf will dismount at the vehicle's final waypoint. Passenger cannot (automatically) dismount at any intermediate waypoint.

Dang I just learned something new. I only ever used dismount for vehicle crews. Thanks guys!