I invented a powerful way to protect tanks strongly cheaply an lowtech; implications?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jjhouston,

Thanks for the link! I missed it earlier. At first glance it looks like they really know what they are talking about! Looking forward to learning more soon, but skiing w/ family today.

The Fighting Seabee, I like you too smile.gif

Webwing,

This is the first time I have ever heard anybody accuse someone of lying about who they are. What do you not believe about who I claim to be and why? It surprised me a lot because my claims have been so modest, 21 in college at SJCC live in San Jose, given full name and date of birth and email.

It is similar in that it is multi functional and effective against a wide range of threats but I believe mine is more generally useful, and probably a lot cheaper and definitely easier to copy. I think mine is a lot harder to counter and will be more usefully upgradeable for longer.

but both sound very effective against current threats. Does Israel have another one using a fat shotgun or is that just USAs active intercepting defense?

Hard-kill defensive aid suites (HK-DAS) are in development in:

USA

Germany

Sweden

Israel

Russia

South Africa

Russia has been developing them for the longest, and have two systems (Drozd and Arena) that are in a position to be fielded.

The Germans have a number of soft-kill systems installed, as do the Russians. These include laser dazzlers, decoys, automatic target cueing and automatic deployment of multispectral smoke grenades from the standard launchers. One modification creates a hard-kill solution from a soft-kill, where the smoke grenades are replaced by fragmentation devices that are autoatically cued and launched at incoming missile.

I think that there are solutions put forward that use explosively-deployed airbags, but these have a very low technology readiness level (TRL)

Originally posted by cool breeze:

Webwing,

This is the first time I have ever heard anybody accuse someone of lying about who they are. What do you not believe about who I claim to be and why? It surprised me a lot because my claims have been so modest, 21 in college at SJCC live in San Jose, given full name and date of birth and email.

Hey cool breeze,

Sorry for that. No accusation! No offence meant. I apologize if you felt offended by my joke. That's just not my style. I'm here to have fun and if possible make some friends in the process.

I just forgot to put a smiling face after the sentence!

It was just a joke because this thread is becoming so much like the Peng Challenge. Kind of surreal sometimes.

It doesn't really matter to me if what you claim is true or who you are. And you own me no explanation. You don't need to show me your id to prove who you are.

I didn't take anything posted here seriously. Don't know why I posted here in the first place! :rolleyes:

For me it doesn't make any sense to come to a public game forum to a ask a question like this seriously.

But, hey, who am I to know, right?

Have fun and I hope you find what you are looking for.

--

[ January 05, 2008, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Webwing ]

Flaming Knives,

I thought you were probably a member of that websites team because of your quote immediately after the link (also the first link).

"Nooo!

What have you done!?

You mentioned that which should not be! You even posted a link!

Just hope that he doesn't find US."

my emphasis. I had been thinking about asking you about it. I only read the headlines and the intro of The Brave American, which I liked and thought righteous. It seems good so far. It really is no good?

No, I have nothing to do with that, or any other of Sparky's websites.

Basically the author has been the scourge of discussion fora across the web for some time. Does not play well with others.

He's convinced himself that the the M113 is called a "Gavin" (It isn't) and that it has all kinds of brilliant capabilities and is the best thing since the invention of the paratrooper, which he is also obsessively keen about.

From what I've gathered, he failed to get into the USMC and took it rather personally. If you are reading the site, you'll find some invective directed their way.

His love for the M113 is surpassed only by his hatred for anything with wheels. Facts means nothing to this man if they go against his preconcieved notions, and he will respond aggressively to anyone who brings them up.

That said, there's a great deal of material that he has collected (sometimes in breach of copyright, AIUI) on his site. If you do want to read it, make sure that you have enough salt on hand.

My invention isnt as impressive to me anymore now that I see how many other systems also provide high level of protection against atgms and RPGs.

I do still want help on basically the same question because I still believe my system will cause substantial change down the road. Although the relative power of my system just decreased for me the absolute power has continued to grow. My machine is probably more effective and useful, much cheaper and easier to copy and develop. You can combine many other systems with mine to make the defense system hugely harder to counter.

any guesses on when 1.06 or Marine module is coming out?

Sam

What research did you do before posting here?

P.S. I am intelligent and have researched weapons systems and have been thinking about this a lot for months.

My invention isnt as impressive to me anymore now that I see how many other systems also provide high level of protection against atgms and RPGs.

I do still want help on basically the same question because I still believe my system will cause substantial change down the road. Although the relative power of my system just decreased for me the absolute power has continued to grow. My machine is probably more effective and useful, much cheaper and easier to copy and develop. You can combine many other systems with mine to make the defense system hugely harder to counter.

any guesses on when 1.06 or Marine module is coming out?

Sam

What research? Fair question.

I see two basic research topics before me, one behind me.

You asked what is behind me. I needed to figure out how my invention fit in with the current weapons situation. When I invented this machine I only knew enough about weapons to play this game ok. My invention attacks specific weaknesses in these systems as I understood them so I began researching a bunch of current ATGMs to see which would be affected and how. This was easy as my invention takes no engineering marvels. I just had to read the summaries of the different common missiles to see basically how they worked (not like an engineer, Im not one.) I also read about some kinds of guided artillery to see how they would be affected and protected against. I watched videos of these things in action to confirm my understandings. I also read about the tank defenses I understand to be the more developed effective ones to see if they changed anything. it turns out that they deal with some current threats similarly effectively as mine will. Mine has big advantages thats these do not, so mine is still worthwhile.

This is really a original approach which hasn't been developed before. It is the kind of thing that given time and knowledge a really clever 13 year old might come up with. I have not had to scrap any of my designs because of my research, just occasionally add things to more thoroughly whomp.

So what aspect of the ATGM does the system attack?

We don't need to know how it works, just what it works against.

We've got:

A) The lethal mechanism - the shaped charge, typically.

B) The rocket in flight - destroy, damage, whatever

C) The guidance system - SACLOS, ACLOS, MCLOS, of which you have wire-guided, beam riders and RF control, autonomous, like Javelin, which use an imaging seeker, be that infra-red, visable light or millimetric wave radar. There's also semi-active laser and LIDAR, if you want to go into slightly larger systems.