I invented a powerful way to protect tanks strongly cheaply an lowtech; implications?

I invented an effective cheap light weight low tech defense for tanks and some AFVs against ATGMs cannon and guided artillery. It would be easily copied and make make many current weapons systems obsolete, including many nations main tank defenses. It is especially effective vs top attack weapons like our javelin, Israels Spike and India's Nag, direct fire ATGMs and guided artillery. The top attack ones will be pretty much obsolete against upgraded tanks and it may be a long time before they will work again. It may permanently shift the power from people to governments and from poor countries to militant rich countries by permanently nerfing ATGMs. I want some expert advice on implications and likely results of patenting this idea and making a bunch of money to help the world with.

Sincerely,

Sam Lefevre

Edited to ad,

P.S. I am intelligent and have researched weapons systems and have been thinking about this a lot for months.

added some more details too.

By low tech I mean easily developed by a knowledgeable company. Some aspects would bee developed for a long time. I mean it would be easily copied.

[ December 28, 2007, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: cool breeze ]

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I and my bevy of Nigerian businessmen would be delighted to aid you in your noble scheme. All I need is your bank account details so that I can transfer the necessary funds.

;)

If it works, patent it. Make a tonne of money. It's not going to alter the balance of people vs. govt, as the people can't afford anti-tank weaponry anyway

Not that it would permanantly nerf infantry AT, since there is more than one way to skin a big cat. KE rather than CE, for example.

If you do patent it and it works as advertised, drop me a line. I wouldn't contact anyone before getting the IP rights sorted though.

I think this is quite hard to counter and believe it would make most current atgm systems near useless against tanks and I understand that many nations primary anti tank defense is atgms, so I believe extensive research is required before I consider releasing this because of the small chance a war may break out because I destabalized things. I imaging many nations have invested considerable capital in their atgm based defenses and worry in may be hard for them to buy a new defense. I only want to do this if I am pretty sure I will make the world a better place by doing it and using the proceeds carefuly.Also, since America has a very small fraction of the worlds tanks and my reason for making this is to make money for good, I would prefer making money selling it to the world IF it would do no harm. I am a patriot and it may ruin my life if more Americans are killed because of this. Wars would be more cheaply engaged and more easily and more likely won by the more tanked attacker because of this. Maybe Israel would be occupying Lebanon if I had invested and released this sooner. This is so much more important than anything that ive done it is overwhelming. im only 21.

I especially like the BFC staff, JasonC, John Kettler, M1A1TC, but I don't know who the experts are. I may after council tell someone what my idea is.

I Like a lot of others too, those were the names that came to mind. I like most people here.

[ December 28, 2007, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: cool breeze ]

Does it involve making armored vehicles invulnerable by putting them behind low walls, as in 1.05?

If so, I hate to break it to you, but it probably won't work IRL, and it's gonna be fixed in 1.06 anyway... tongue.gif

You might be on to something, however, if you've hit upon a means to disorient and paralyze the Striker crews to that they don't flee when facing T-72s and can't drive in a straight line.

Originally posted by cool breeze:

... John Kettler ...

I think my woo-woo radar just broke.

When you feel compelled to add this to your first post:

Edited to ad,

P.S. I am intelligent and have researched weapons systems and have been thinking about this a lot for months.

I don't get high hopes.

Lots of people whos responses I wanted had already seen my post and passed over it without response, hopefully because they want more time to think. So, I put in the first things I thought which might make them take a closer look. Im really not interested in people doubting my claims without even knowing what we are talking about. Instead of intelligent I should have written " I am a creative and analytical thinker. I am talented at looking at issues from many angles and doing thorough pros and cons lists. I am creative and good at brain storming and believe my analysis of the countermeasures this will initiate was good."

I started especially likeing John Kettler when he linked us to page 405? of David Rockefellers Memoir. From what I have learned there is no grounds for doubting that new world order plans are a factor that definately could effect the consequences of my actions. Even a small chance is very worth serious consideration to me for my conscience. Since conspiracy theories are usually disregarded by people and because John Kettler is the only one Ive heard mention big conspiracies and I like how he write, I mention him.

You wont think of my idea so you dont know if it is good.

You wont think of my idea so you dont know if it is good.

I won't think of any idea that I don't know anything about. Instead, I look at the delivery of the person presenting (or the lack thereof) of it, and I hear the claim "I have a world changing idea, but I can't tell you about it" almost every day.

If you really think you can change the face of modern warfare as we know it, why the heck are you on here? You haven't really thought this through.

I haven't researched John Kettler at all. I cant tell you about it 'cause then it would be public, so I tell you its effects. It wont radically change war in the long term, just tactics somewhat. America will still wreck in the over seas fights our leader choose.

Normal Dude, where do you suggest I find experts who may help me probono to analyze the consequences of something that cheaply makes ATGMs substantially less effective against tanks? Ive been coming to this forum for years and I think I can trust some of you.

Originally posted by Normal Dude:

You haven't really thought this through.

Normal Dude, where do you suggest I find experts who may help me probono to analyze the consequences of something that cheaply makes ATGMs substantially less effective against tanks? Ive been coming to this forum for years and I think I can trust some of you.

You just proved my point.

It doesn't make sense that I would rather look for someone to trust from a land of strangers when I frequent a land with experts I have observed for years. You are right that I have not thought this through completely, I am not even an amateur global power researcher, I don't even know where to start. I don't think I am really smart enough to figure out If this is something I should do. I believe in getting expert help instead of becoming a expert in every area that would help me.

edit spelling

Unfortunately, you have no business case with which to justify any work.

You have an idea that is purely theoretical and may not work. If it does work, it would take years to prove it and implement it. In the meantime kinetic energy weapons in the hellfire class are being developed can dump more energy into a tank than it can deal with.

Purely as a thought experiment it might be an interesting discussion. It would certainly make life harder for insurgent groups, but I fail to see how that is a bad thing.

What an extraordinary post with extraordinary claims. Simply facinating.

Can you reveal anything more at all about your invention, or should I say concept? (well I guess it is no more an invention as a cure for cancer is at the moment, it just doesn't exist (yet))

How about some sort of top-mounted shotgun, linked to some sort of proximity sensor like you have for parking cars. It would blast an incoming warhead with pellets before impact and cause it to either explode or malfunction.

Close?

By the way, something easily copied and low tech sounds like something that will have been thought of many times already by lots of different people, so I don't know why the concerns about revealing at least the basics of your idea?

Hard kill defensive aid suites are hardly original - hence the dopey name. Either by directed explosives on the vehicle, pop up munitions or trainable launchers, they are hardly simple, low tech or even close to 100% effective.

Standoff plates either have to be very thick - creating structural issues with the tank, and making it much larger* - or the CE warheads can be set to discriminate a thin screen, go through and hit the main hull, rather like the SMAW follow-through warhead.

It kind of depends what you are defeating. If you are fighting the shaped charge jet, the measure and countermeasures are fairly well explored. ATGM, especially the larger missiles, can replace the CE with KE, like the LOSAT and CKEM.

If you target the relatively slow moving rocket - rockets can be made to go faster.

*at least a meter of standoff is needed to make a meaningful difference against modern shaped charges.