How to solve the command and control UI

The two biggest complaints I have been reading here about the game are missed features and the new command UI. Features such as non movable waypoints, Enter button statistics, ect.. , But this post is how to make the current command UI better.

Many have agreed that the new command UI is a bit awkward.

Here is my solution:

ADD HOTKEYS FOR ACCESSING MAIN ORDER MENUS - MOVEMENT, -COMBAT, ECT…. That’s the problem along with the key layout. The mouse camera controls are perfect! Leave those alone; just fix the unit view when locked in postion 3 or more.

It feels unnatural having the mouse camera key controls where they are on the left, and all though the number pad works ok, it is on the right side of the keyboard, which feels awkward when using the mouse. Most games have the orders keys where the camera is in this game making it a bit awkward. This coupled with having to cycle through the orders top menu instead of having a hot key for each is what I feel is making this game not feel as fluid with the command buttons. I guarantee the following layout would feel much more natural, and be much faster in real time mode than cycling through. Giving a hot key to access the main orders makes sense, and will give gamers the option to utilize gears and macro chains on programmable keyboards. Most games like FPS have cycles for going through weapons and a hot key for each weapon. Any competitive gamer will tell you it is faster to hit one key to access vs. cycling through. It is more decisive too, since when cycling you may pass your destination and have to cycle back or through the whole chain to get where you want to go. The whole thing would be better as well in WEGO mode. Many have said they want right click menus and hot keys for each command, but I do not think it practical for real time play. Besides this is more streamlined.

Current system to get from movement menu to special Hit Y key TWICE, oops hit too many time need to hit T again, Then another key to access command. OR Take your cursor away from the map to click the menu.

My way Hit 1,2,3, or 4 then your command button. This is faster, and easy to remember commands. Example anti- tank teams is a 4-E (hey sounds like a M.O.S.)

A LAYOUT THAT WILL WORK:

Camera – Mouse controls are great! (Except for the already mentioned not being able to see your selected unit while locked in position 3 or more). Move the camera control keys to where the number pad is, and move the preset camera positions from the number keys to the F-keys.

Command Keys – Make a hot key for each command top menu using the number keys

Movement = (number key 1). Keep Hunt behavior from CMx1 so it keeps moving after threat is gone. There are three slots open and I would add “move to contact” (acts like current Hunt) so you have two different behaviors as in CMx1. Add rotate command, and either seek hull down or shoot and scoot

Combat = number key 2

Special = number key 3

Administrative = number key 4

Top row of commands = start at Q key

Mid row = start at A key

Bottom row = start at Z key

Keep specific keys as is now for MOVE ( space bar) - give more information at waypoints, miss the words that appeared showing what the unit is doing when selected, worked better in CMx1. TARGET (V key) - good streamlining it with LOS tool!, but give more information such as terrain, building ect…Info was better in CMx1 as well as having specific terrain types rocky, rough ect..maybe it’s gamey but it worked. I feel like I’m totally in the open and its just open area. FACE (F key) give it the behavior I mention below. HIDE(R key) – it was clearer in CMx1 as it had the words over the waypoints when selected and in the unit information bar Units do hide now when given the command at the end of a waypoint, but we have no way to confirm that order. PAUSE (T key)- great improvemt over CMx1 whith being able to pause at way points and at the beginning to issue order then move out, keep as is.

Other command suggestions – include a rotate command under the movement commands. It would feel more natural there. Keep Face command where it is under combat menu, but have it work so it rotates the gun/turret in the direction ordered, giving a general streamlined covering arc of max range 180 degrees. Use covering arc command for more specific arcs, and for keeping the turret in a specific direction while stationary. Face and rotate should be two different commands. Rotate is for the hull, face is for the turret control while on the move. When stationary, face and rotate are one in the same as it is now. In this way Face stays where it is under the combat menu, as it must from what I recall the developers saying it had to. Adding the rotate command to the movement menu makes it easier to issue it at the end of waypoints since it would be in same menu as the other movement commands.

Having face work in this manner would be great for real time play.

Hope the developers consider testing these sugestions.

Originally posted by Vinnart:

Here is my solution:

ADD HOTKEYS FOR ACCESSING MAIN ORDER MENUS - MOVEMENT, -COMBAT, ECT….

I already gave the same suggestion. But I suggested the four F keys (F5 to F8) since they are nicely grouped into four and on top of the general area. The number keys that you suggested would be nearer though.

The main problem is the multiple use of a single key. There's enough keys to not do this on a full sized PC kbd so I think that's what should be done. I'm not too concerned with having them under easily remembered keys - that will come. Just spread them out on the kbd.

Even if it was top (or possibly F) row movement, 2nd row combat etc. That way you're never 2 presses from anything.

Flight sims have managed it for years, it shouldn't be an issue here.

The logic behind the multiple use of a single key is to eliminate memorization. It always uses the 9 key grid which corresponds to the buttons on screen. I am completely fine with this method...

And I like to make flipping between command types easier by doing the same thing (four-button horizontal grid either by numbers of F keys).

Once you start memorizing... it will ruin your game.

Originally posted by jomni:

The logic behind the multiple use of a single key is to eliminate memorization. It always uses the 9 key grid which corresponds to the buttons on screen. I am completely fine with this method...

I think it's just to get everything on the number pad, which means I'd be playing with my hands about 3cm apart - not comfy.

And I like to make flipping between command types easier by doing the same thing (four-button horizontal grid either by numbers of F keys).

Not a bad idea, as far as it goes. But I'd like to remove the need to do so.

Once you start memorizing... it will ruin your game.

How? Navigating a web page, using a program, any HCI really, all done by muscle memory (past a certain level of experience). Also, if you're playing like I do, you give a unit orders, move and target, or set arc, then go on to the next.

So with a 2 click/press system you're doubling your hands workload, as well as breaking concentration on tactics to use the UI (check current usage of button group) and it's that bit that really annoys.

You shouldn't have any difficulty with 27 separate button usages on a kbd, I've got that many on my phone.

There are basically two ways to go:

Have a keyboard hotkey for each separate command as it was in CMx1.

PROS:

*The CMx1 fan base is used to this.

*Can be remembered through repetition.

CONS:

*Not as streamlined

*You have to move your eyes away from the screen to the keyboard to find keys,and you have to move your left hand around the keyboard to get to the keys. This is fine for WEGO, but slower for real time when speed is crucial.

Then there is the current 9 grid system.

PRO:

*Streamlined

*Eyes stay on the screen. Hand doesn't have to move around keyboard.

*Can be remembered through repetition

*More practical when playing in real time

*Familiar and natural to those who play RTS and FPS games other than only CMx1

CON:

*Not familiar to those who only have played CMx1

*The current lack of a hotkey to access each of the main command menus limits one to cycling, and the way you prefer to set up a 9-grid system.

The Developers were smart to allow one to program the hotkeys as they wish, so where they are as a default is not a major problem, as you can lay it out as you prefer. The problem is that if no hotkey exist in the first place then one is limited. I do believe that my above layout would work much better as the default setting.

If they want keep a hotkey for those who prefer cycling (which is not as good as far as I am concerned) that’s fine, but ADD HOTKEYS FOR ACCESSING MAIN ORDER MENUS so we have the option to control this way. This is it! That’s what’s missing. Cycling sucks, and offers no way to memorize keys for instant access.

There are basically two ways to go:

Have a keyboard hotkey for each separate command as it was in CMx1.

PROS:

*The CMx1 fan base is used to this.

CONS:

*Not as streamlined

Streamlined? One key is quicker to press than 2. I mean, the clue's in the question really ;)

*You have to move your eyes away from the screen

Can I refer you to:

to the keyboard to find keys,and you have to move your left hand around the keyboard to get to the keys. This is fine for WEGO, but slower for real time when speed is crucial.

Still faster than pressing 2 keys

Then there is the current 9 grid system.

PRO:

*Streamlined

2 key presses etc.

*Eyes stay on the screen. Hand doesn't have to move around keyboard.

Eyes must go to key display to check what is active.

*Can be remembered through repetition

*More practical when playing in real time

I disagree, as it takes 2 key presses. 2 Key presses is a key press more than one key press. One key...I'm boring myself here.

*Familiar and natural to those who play RTS and FPS games other than only CMx1

I've never played an FPS that doubles key usage.

CON:

*Not familiar to those who only have played CMx1

*The current lack of a hotkey to access each of the main command menus limits one to cycling, and the way you prefer to set up a 9-grid system.

The Developers were smart to allow one to program the hotkeys as they wish, so where they are as a default is not a major problem, as you can lay it out as you prefer. The problem is that if no hotkey exist in the first place then one is limited. I do believe that my above layout would work much better as the default setting.

If they want keep a hotkey for those who prefer cycling (which is not as good as far as I am concerned) that’s fine, but ADD HOTKEYS FOR ACCESSING MAIN ORDER MENUS so we have the option to control this way. This is it! That’s what’s missing. Cycling sucks, and offers no way to memorize keys for instant access.

Nah, just give a command to a key. Crazy I know, but it just might work.

Honestly, I could work with either a key for each, or a 9 grid system, since I use a notromo programable speedpad for my controler. Curently it is a 9 grid sytem with only the option to scroll though. If it stays that way personaly would prefer a designated hotkey to access the main order menus.

My perspective is more toward what is best for real time play if the current 9 grid system stays. In WEGO mode speed is not much of an issue.

Either way I still think it is a great game with much potential,

We've already added unique keys for each Command to the v1.02 patch ;) The player has the choice of sticking with the 9 button grid system, with unique keys for Comands, or both. We already allowed some Commands to have unique keys (Move, Target, etc.), so the concept is not a problem for CM. I personally would recommend going with one setup or the other, not trying to mix both.

We also added keys to jump to a specific Command Group. Oh, and blanks are allowed as well, so you can zero out hotkey shortcuts that you don't want to have hooked up to keys.

Steve