Detonator 4 drivers

Mattias

A quick look with a GeForce 3, Win2K SP2, DirectX 8.0a and the Detonator 4 (21.81) showed a marginal improvement in speed, but not a fix for current problems. The biggest issue for Win2K and CM is the 'translucent white' which still occurs. Forcing FSAA alleviates this somewhat (especially in the 3D/2D game screens), but it still occurs often in the initial 2D screens especially with FSAA disabled ('application controlled').

I haven't tried Win9x/ME yet though the previous 14.70 drivers worked fine with FSAA enabled on a GeForce 3 in Win9x, but all earlier GeForces still had problems with FSAA enabled. I don't suspect that the Detonator 4s will change this since they are geared towards primarily improving the GeForce 3's performance (it's release date being timed in order to trump ATI's upcoming Radeon 8500) rather than eliminating bugs (though it is an 'official' release driver). While performance should improve over the whole range of GeForce cards (and maybe even TNT2s), I'm guessing that the biggest performance gains will be attained by the GeForce 3 and other higher-end GeForces. When some of the better hardware/gaming sites come out with their extended reviews/benchmarks of the Detonator 4s we'll get a better picture of the performance enhancements. However a lot of the current benchmarks emphasized by a lot of these sites seem to concentrate on OpenGL performance (Quake 3) or T&L capabilities (neither of which apply to CM). I think the closest benchmark to pay attention to may be some of the Unreal performance in DirectX (though CM's boost in performance will probably be even less due to the possible scenario sizes and large number of textures).

[ 09-11-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

OMG I think they work!

Okay, so far so good.

I am running ME with x4 FSAA and a Geforce 2 64meg Prophet card and I am not seeing any blurring, flickering, repeated text, corrupted text or unti info windows that dont properly refresh.

Now whats weird is when I FIRST loaded an autosave up with these drivers loaded the whole game looked really whacked out, so I escpaed and went back in and it was all fine and has stayed so even with exiting and reloading the whole game.

Obviously more testing needs to be done (x2 fsaa etc..) but so far so good gents!!!

I will report back with any new findings.

Madmatt

The good news continues. With FSAA x2 also seeing no issues. My initial weirdness has not returned after several reboots and reloads of the game.

Tested with both CMBO and CMBB just to be on the safe side! ;)

For the record here I am using DX 8.1 beta though, but hopefully that won't matter.

If anyone tries them out please post your findings here. I would love to be able to put this annoying issue in the past!

Madmatt

[ 09-10-2001: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Okay, I figured out what caused my intial issue.

If you change the level of FSAA (to any of the three options off, x2,x4) the FIRST time you load Combat Mission and get into a battle you will see the screen acting rather weird.

All you have to do is Escape out and come back in and the screen will be fine. This issue will not repeat regardless of system reboots until you change again the FSAA setting.

Note: Even if you change the FSAA setting and THEN reboot, you still have to apparently escape out of CM the first time you run it and get back in. After that it should be fine every time you play the game.

All in all not a bad issue and more of a minor annoyance than anything.

Your mileage may vary but so far I like what I see and since I normally just leave FSAA alone once its set its not a problem really. Heck, even if you do change it all the time its still pretty simple to Escape once out and get back in.

Hopefully now people can play CM in FSAA glory!

Madmatt

[ 09-10-2001: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Yeah its me again. Okay more info.

With FSAA x4 set to on it appears that the first time you load the game you will have to perform the ESCAPE procedure above. I had thought that you would only have to do it a single time (the first play after changing the FSAA setting) but for me at least appears that this is required once per gaming session.

Note: Task Switching does not seem to generate any corruption.

So, basically all you have to do is the load the game. Pick your battle, once you get to the 3D battlefield press ESCAPE and then get back into the game and you will be fine until you COMPLETELY unload and reload Combat Mission.

So, not as great as intitially thought but still not bad. As I recall some Voodoo owners need to do the same thing to clear up corruption.

Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

Hopefully now people can play CM in FSAA glory!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey! Cool! Have you tried turning on anisotropic filtering? Does it help any, particularly with texture shimmer? I don't have a Geforce, just mulling over the options for my next upgrade. smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>As I recall some Voodoo owners need to do the same thing to clear up corruption.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Noooo! Atleast not for V5 owners. Hitting Escape is the LAST thing you want to do with the V5 in CM when running with FSAA turned on. :D

- Chris

Using a GeForce2 Ultra in DirectX 8.0a on Win98SE I got the same fixes and minor bugs that Madmatt has already reported. The initial 3D screen under 4X FSAA, especially when you attempt to move around the map the very first time, looks like a major problem (all the textures repeat in an endless-looking line in the direction of movement), but a simple 'ESC' to the desktop and back clears it right up with no more further occurances in that session.

As I posted above... The 21.81 drivers work with Win2K with FSAA (as did the previous beta 14.70s). The 'white transparency' issue remains with these drivers in CM. ESC'ing to the desktop and coming back into CM fixes this. In fact you may want FSAA on ('forced') since it helps with the 2D text info boxes within the game.

Uhh... Edit...

If you're speaking of the initial 'strangeness' in CM's 3D display, that doesn't seem to happen in Win2K. But since you get the transparent text, you end up ESC'ing anyway to clear that up.

[ 09-14-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

• 4 weeks later...

I just loaded WINXP and am finding this "white translucence" problem that seems to be old to everyone but me. Just loaded the newest nVidia drivers for my Ultra 2 and the problem still exists. This is extremely annoying as when I'm attempting to save my game file, I cannot see the box and what I'm typing at all. And at this point, you cannot escape to desktop and clear it up.

What is a gamer to do? Are there any fixes on the horizon for this???? :(:(:(:(

Yup. Win2KPro + GeForce 2 MX400 + Det 21.83, and I still see the transparent-white issue regardless of FSAA (forced off, application controls, 2x, 4x). 2x still causes Dance of the Whirling, Flashing Textures at end of game when switching back to map after reading AAR, so I normally use "application controls".

Recently a engineer from Nvidia contacted us to go over some issues. While they intially needed some info to fix the Mac Black Sky problem we also gave them a mouthful of info about other issues with their drivers and transparentcy on Windows systems.

All we can say is that the problem is on their end and they are aware of it, time will tell if they intend to do anything to resolve it because we sure as heck can't.

Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

Recently a engineer from Nvidia contacted us to go over some issues. While they intially needed some info to fix the Mac Black Sky problem we also gave them a mouthful of info about other issues with their drivers and transparentcy on Windows systems.

All we can say is that the problem is on their end and they are aware of it, time will tell if they intend to do anything to resolve it because we sure as heck can't.

Madmatt<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did they appear to be interested in the Windows issues? I've know a lot of ex-driver programmers, the guys for each platform don't interact much in most companies...

You should post this info in a separate thread. I'd love to see updates. I seem to be running low on spare time these days, but I really miss CM...