New WWII RTS game Theatre of War announced

You guys crack us up, you know that. I have seen dozens of guesses about the big announcement we mentioned and each one more ridiculous than the next.

WWII RTS, Wartime Command, Theatre of War... Wow, that's some leap of faith to think little old Battlefront could secure a big name title like that...

Guess what?

WE DID!!!!

People, this game is HUGE, and we are totally psyched about the chance to help finally bring it to market. We have been totally blown away by this game and when I demoed it last weekend at CMVention IV held in Myrtle Beach, it was the hit of the show, to say the least.

In the coming days and weeks we have TONS of content to release for this game. More screenshots (I already posted nearly 200 all new shots which should keep you busy), Gameplay videos (I also uploaded one today but will have many more once I figure out how to optimize FRAPS a little better), After Actions Reports, Beta Tester opinions, interviews, vehicle and units list (you won't be disappointed...well some of you will, but we can't help that), Gameplay overviews, moding info, Articles about the game style and how it compares and compliments Combat Mission and much much more!

Moon wasn't lying when he said this announcement is of Mega-Uber-Importance. Not just for you the gaming community, but for us as a publisher. This game simply wows people wherever and whenever they see it and Battlefront is honored and privileged to be publishing it.

Speaking for myself, I can't rave about this one enough. Sure, I have to kind of rave about every game we release, but this is just me and you guys here on the forum and I promise you, this game is amazing. If I am wrong, I will happily drink my own warm glass of shut the hell up!

Yes, I believe in this project THAT much.

So without further ado... I present to you....

THEATRE OF WAR

grab0010.jpg

Theatre Of War website

All screenshots are taken in-game on either My or Moons computer. Nothing pre-rendered at all. Video was captured using FRAPS, but I don't know what they hell I was doing so the quality and playback speed ain't the best... I'll get better at it, trust me...

Madmatt

(Kwazydog : Fixed Matts typo in web address smile.gif )

[ July 27, 2006, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

Very cool! I am still trying to get the damn video to play but the screens are beautiful! Awsome news!

Looks like we are in for some kick ass gaming between everything BF is making and helping to release this year.

Mord.

And I would suggest a powerful one at that. While ToW is scalable, its also power hungry and demands a pretty beefy system. As we get closer to release and final code we will have a better handle on system specs/requirements but if you have less than a gig of memory and slower than a 2.8 ghz processor and a really good video card (x800 or better), you might be out of luck...

Luckily, this game is worth upgrading your PC for...

Madmatt

[ July 28, 2006, 01:23 AM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

So, the surprise is a game that you are working on that won't be out this month but...?? ( fouth quarter 2006. Maybe) and you have screenshots and a site for us to go to smile.gif:Dtongue.gif:( :mad: :mad:

I don't get it. Why couldn't you say it was just another WWII RTS game you were working on with another developer, publisher whatever and show it to us then and there- why could he just say so in the interview: "we are in the process of working on "theatre of war" with 1C." You had many of us thinking it was a surprise release of a WWII turn based game that was to be released for download this month or a little after.

And nobody here is admitting they are indeed surprised that the surprise is nothing...but more screenshots of a game that doesn't exsist.

Its like "honey I've got a really great surprise for you, you're not going to believe this!, its just what you've wanted for so long now- which you'll find out about by the end of this month." She keeps asking him what it is but he says he can't tell her yet. She speculates is it a plasma!, a diamond ring!, a house at the cape!, an SUV! She envisions a humvee in the garage one morning at the end of that month.

Month ends: "ok, here's the surprise: He then produces from his pocket a picture of a volkswagen rabbit from a magazine I am going to buy you a nice car like this because the one you have can't keep up with the others and is falling apart... once I get enough money which should be soon, maybe by the end of this year."

Well back to ol' dated but dependable barbarossa to berlin.

Your christmas list just got bigger? I hope you mean next christmas cause I doubt it will be out before this December.

"such crap" is maybe to harsh for you but I'm only being honest and not any kissing butt which will not make it any better for you. You my friend ,are not the one working on it the one seeing and playing it as it all comes together.

If you are content with viewing screenshots and videos, the promotional droppings of someone elses labor, all the power to you; as for me I am not interested and will not waste my time till I'm certain there's an actual game coming out that I'll be able to play in a week or so.

Perhaps the whole point is I should be happy for the folks at battlefront. I am. redface.gif just as I would be for the Bill Gates and guy who's wife just had a baby. congradulations :rolleyes: ... now leave me alone so I can finish my game.

Yes, I am INDEED EXCITED! But i will have to buy either an IntelMac or a PC Desktop, nevertheless I AM buying this game even if I have to install it on a Friends computer temporarily! Congrats... this is great news.

I didn't see Specs listed yet... is that correct?

if you are in Beta it shouldn't be long now... just time enough for me to save up for a new machine...

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Mikko H.:

The makers of my two favourite war games (CM & Il-2 series) have teamed up! Sounds promising, to understate it...

Then again, the reason Eddie Murphy wasn't in Star Trek IV was because Paramount didn't want to put all their eggs in one basket, so to speak...Eddie Murphy could make a lot of money and Star Trek could make a lot of money, but combining them would have result in a guaranteed diminishing of returns....in our case, one game instead of two...

I'm confused.

Theatre of War (ToW) looks great and I look forward to playing a decent WWII RTS game after this genre had been plagued by fantastic and futuristic RTS games.

But, is this where the CM series is going? Is ToW = CM3? Will CMSF be based on this gaming engine? Is PBEM dead?

I like the real-time aspect of ToW but I also like thinking out my moves via PBEM. I hope I'm not the only one that has this on their mind. And if these questions have been answered elsewhere already, just send me a link to the forum thread.

Thanks,

Albert

Originally posted by meyerpflug:

But, is this where the CM series is going? Is ToW = CM3? Will CMSF be based on this gaming engine? Is PBEM dead?

They're separate games. ToW (developed by 1c) is real time, whereas as CMSF (developed by BFC) will allow you to play WEGO or real time. We haven't been told yet whether PBEM will make it in or not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...