Scenario Editor: Triggers?

I just cannot find any reference to the possibility of adding trigger boxes in the scenario editor.

Is it even possible?

Something like creating a box that checks if enemy troops are spotted in it and then triggers certain orders for the enemy AI.

Thanks in advance,

This is really needed. Perhaps in an update. I was sort of expecting the editor to be like this as SB 2, with all the various triggers so you can do things like tell a unit when it should fall back or release reserves.

Exactly! Otherwise we would for example create attacking plans that go forward no matter what.

Now, given how short the battles I'm interested in are, it may not be too much of a deal breaker. But I am a bit worried that so far I haven't seen the enemy TacAI reasses the execution of its orders, like trying a different avenue of approach when you are beating the crap out of it.

Thanks,

Originally posted by thewood:

It seems, to me at least, that everything is time based. Am I missing something. I think that is why some of the scenarios seem screwed up. I you get outside the intended schedule of the scenario designer, the AI is porked.

I was surprised to read was that in order to make the AI more aggressive you have to issue an "advance" order instead of "assault". That's something I want to try. But I think we will need more in depth documentation for the scenario editor.

The TacAI is an unknown quantity to me right now. This morning I created a map/scenario: a US platoon (no vehicle support) in high ground trenches overlooking open terrain in where two reinforced platoons of Republican Guards advanced. The Syrians had tanks and BMPs at their disposal. I cranked the Syrians skill and leadership to the top. Still they would not attempt to avoid the massacre and use an obvious covered route on their side (created that route on purpose). Two things were cool, however: (i) as the Syrians advanced they appeared to be using overwatch; (ii) at certain point in the battle the Syrians brought the BMPs closer to the trenches and mauled my platoon really bad.

The tanks never left their deployment positions, but when I reviewed the map, the tanks were out of the C2 structure, so maybe they didn't even get orders from the TacAI at all.

I will keep trying.

You know I never even considered the C2 part of scenario design. That may be having a huge effect on how the AI is reacting on the Syrian side. I just don't know. Someone from BFC is going to have to clarify how things like that work.

Just like in CM, the AI has moments of absolute brilliance, and moments of sheer stupidity (like me). It just seems in CMSF there are extremes and it is also more dependent on the scenario designer.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by thewood:

It seems, to me at least, that everything is time based.

This is correct; the AI reacts to the clock rather than to enemy movements, situation, etc. </font>

Originally posted by thewood:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by thewood:

It seems, to me at least, that everything is time based.

This is correct; the AI reacts to the clock rather than to enemy movements, situation, etc. </font>

With all the games out there that were scripted, I find hard to understand why other types of triggers weren't included.

You are bascially playing odds both designing and hoping that the human does what you hope, and as a player that the designer thought of every possible strategy.

Maybe I am overly concerned. I haven't actually built a scenario to run yet to play.