"Gun View"

Don't know if this is possible but I'd like it.

The ability to centre the view on either where your gun is pointing or your target,

Centred on gun would let you have a pilots view of an attack run, but blue sky as he pulls up.

For AA you would lead the target and with a turning turret you might not see the target, or at least not until you where close to lined up.

With target view from a plane you would get the over the shoulder view as you pulled up,

For AA it would be cerntered on the target plane, and for a gun you would see your target in the centre even if you hadn't managed to line up on it.

I wouldn't want bomb or shell view where you fly to the target, as short of "Dr Strangelove", you can't do it.

Peter.

Good idea. To take it one step further, for guns and tanks I'd love a "gunsight view", where you're looking through the sights as the gunner/whoever would see the target.

Wouldn't have to be a historically accurate reticule view for every gun in the game; just a few generic gunsight views (generic telescope-type, generic AA radial-type, plus maybe one or two others) would be fine with me. Though I suspect if they make the details of the gunsight view moddable, and leave open slots for the various weapons, modders would have accurate reticule mods in no time!

Definitely not on my "critical upgrades" list, but 'twould be VERY cool eye candy!

Cheers,

YD

Why Panzer 76,

Are you saying that the gun crew on a20mm flak wouldn't track their target visually.

Or that the commander of a tank wouldn't keep his eye fixed on the target even if the gun wasn't brought to bear yet.

Or that a pilot who's just dropped a bomb doesn't look back to see if he's hit the target.

I don't want Bino views or Tank sights, as if I am prentending to be the pilot I just want the ability to track moving targets by eye rather than have to do it manually by adjusting the camera.

Thats not to much to ask is it.

Peter.

I think the AA gunsight view is a great idea. The current visual display of air-ground combat is definitely lacking, graphics-wise. There is no reason FOW has to be violated by a gunsight or aircraft view, in other words it doesnt have to reveal the exact type or status of spotted units. I don't think it is inconsistent with the player's role as "commander", because the game already lets you move the camera anywhere you like. CM is definitely a combat simulator, not a command simulator. If it was a command simulator, all you would be able to see is your HQ. I know some people would like a command simulator better than the current game, becuase of the increased realism. Personally, I like the god-like omniscience of CM because I dont have to miss any of the cool little things that happen during the game.

We don't want to confuse what this game is with what this game isn't. This is not a tank or AA gun simulator, therefore there will be no views from the guns of stuff. That just isn't in keeping with the game's scale. Plus, once we do put in something like that then you'll see calls for all sorts of things that logically follow.

Sims are a slippery slope. Good designers know when to say "no" so that the design doesn't suffer from an identity crisis. This is a clear "no".

Steve

Nevermind the crazy stuff, however I still think that gun sight and Infantry-mans POV would still be within the bounds of CM say as one more level down from camera view one at the moment Steve, but I do not regard this as essential since I like to watch all the fireworks happen as it is. (Even more so with relative spotting, hopefully.)

BTW I wish that I had come up with something like the below sentiments and to have expressed them just as well in posts elsewhere:

Originally posted by Pirx:

CM is definitely a combat simulator, not a command simulator. If it was a command simulator, all you would be able to see is your HQ. I know some people would like a command simulator better than the current game, becuase of the increased realism. Personally, I like the god-like omniscience of CM because I dont have to miss any of the cool little things that happen during the game.

Hmmm, I fanatically afirm that I agree! *froffing at the mouth* tongue.gif

[ September 14, 2005, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Zalgiris 1410 ]

What Steve says goes.

As I started this thread I'd like it finished and locked please, I said my bit and it's been decided that it doesn't fit with what BF has in mind.

Given that I am more than 90% happy with what they have planned so far, I am not going to argue for the inclusion of my 1% of the 10% thats left.

I can more than get by with the improvements on the maps and terrain, which sound brillant.

1:1 representation will be an absolute breakthrough,

and Relative sighting will be a quantum leap forward for realism.

So hang the"Gun View" it's no big deal.

Peter.