anyone gone back to CMBO CMBB CMAK after CMSF?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like CM:AK and CM:BB better then CM:SF at the moment. Probably always will, at least till the WWII iteration of CMX2 comes along.

It's not the game system itself, which I think BF will get the bugs out in the next couple patches, there is just something lacking in the situation or the presentation. I can't define what that something is, but when I get done playing a CM:SF scenario I'm not ready to play again, when I get done a CM:AK scenario I'm looking for the next one right away.

I still have a couple of CMAK pbem games going on and even took on a couple of CMBB pbem games after CMSF came out. I find I am enjoying all three.

I thought I would retire CMBB/CMAK after CMSF came out, but honestly after playing all three on a daily basis, I don't find CMSF to be such a radical improvement that it blows away the other two.

Right now, I think I will probably keep playing CMBB/CMAK at least until the WW2 version comes out.

CMSF has occupied almost all my attention since its release.

Since CMSF's release I occasionally went back to the three previous ones, but every time I fire them up I have the same wish that they would have been done with the CMx2 engine.

In other words, I go back to CMx1 games because of their WWII theme, not because I feel they are superior wargames compared to CMSF.

I haven't played CMBO in years. After BB, the infantry model just seems to "toy", etc.

I do play CMBB and CMAK. More than I have played CMSF so far. I enjoyed CMSF several times I played it, and was frustrated by problems a couple other times. It is largely subject matter interest that still has me playing CMBB more, though I also like the easier interface etc. Perhaps 1.03 will reduce the occasional frustration factor enough to change that. I'll certainly give it a chance to, but I would not be surprised if in the end I stay mostly a BB and AK player.

Never left ....

Still doing PBEM games in CMBB and CMAK (CMETO) and enjoying the experience like day one - currently in the middle of a huge Kursk battle (how can you get that kinda kick in CMSF ? I don't think you can at all ..)

Played CMSF (only WEGO with the floating icons turned off - hate 'em) and liked some scenarios enough to visit again after 1.03 ....

I played a CMAK scenario the other day just for the helluvit...A Walk In The Sun...and as much as I enjoyed CMX1 in all it's versions there was always one thing lacking...the smaller, man on man scenarios...(3 man represented squads, 1 man MG team, in a platoon sized or smaller engagement) just left something to be desired. Too much abstraction. The bigger scenarios were fine but the intimacy of a small force going at it man to man, small arms to small arms, never quite did it visually. I love, as I've said many times, the vignettes; a split squad, flanking an mg team, grenades thrown, shots fired...So when I played that scenario it just seemed kinda empty, compared to what I am encountering in CMSF in that department.

I set up a small scenario based on a post of Bradley Dick's in the Wow factor thread. Nothing big, no super scenario design...just some basic stuff to get the ball rolling, 'cause what he talked about sounded fun. I took one sniper squad and place them on a high hill overlooking a valley. On each end of the valley I placed a bunch of Uncons of various force size, experiences, and equipment...The objective for the Uncons is the hill the snipers are occupying. I split the sniper squad so each team would face one side of the valley and engage a separate Uncon force. And that was it.

Since then I've just been watching. I hit go in WEGO and view the exchange of fire...haven't issued any orders or anything, just digging the 1:1 small unit action. I zoom right down next to my snipers and watch them aiming and firing...then I'll restart the turn and zoom down to the Uncons perspective and watch the bullets plunking the ground around them...it's ungodly immersive...it's what I always missed in CMX1. They are all there. I don't have to imagine three men spread out over 20 meters being 12. And it's engrossing as hell to watch an enemy combatant jump up and run to his buddy and apply aid while bullets are snapping by...and the 1:1 casualties tell a riveting story of where the action took place. I can only imagine how kick ass cool that will be in a WWII setting. I've had some really bloody battles in CMBO over tiny patches of terrain, that would've been unbelievable with 1:1...I am talking upwards of 100 casualties in a two tile area. I always loved reviewing the battle after the fact and visiting the spots that saw the most action.

Yes, I do I wish CMSF had more of some of the cooler CMX1 features. They've promised a good amount of them, so hopefully...For me, CMX1 is something to remember fondly. Maybe screw around because of the setting and for the info and equipment, but just isn't what drives me anymore. A great piece of nostalgia and a dear old friend, that I'll visit once and a while, but probably won't stay long.

Mord.

I never left CMBB/AK either. Actually the question for me is, "When will I go back to CMSF?". I've pretty much shelved it until it gets more polished/patched up. I've certainly have had some fun with it, no doubt. But the QBs are basically broken right now.

Heck I'm fixing to advance to the 2nd round in the King Of The Hill tournament. So I'm still having a blast with CMBB/AK.