Red vs Red Scenario and The Chechen War Theatre

The scenario was created in an attempt to give some context for my mates and I to play multiplayer Red-vs-Red. While I tried to keep the scenario as plausible as I could to the best of my humble knowledge of the conflict at hand, it is not supposed to depict anything historically accurate. Although I always welcome constructive criticism, so feel free to fire away.

The scenario takes place on 8 May 1995 in the Northern flatlands of Chechnya, several months after the frontline Russian units have captured the area and moved on further South, leaving a rear-echelon unit to garrison the area.

The Company-sized engagement depicts a raid by a Chechen Rebel unit (Blue), presumably part of Basayev’s Guerrillas, on a Regional Administration center of Polyanskoe (the name is pretty much made-up), and the ensuing Russian Federal Forces (Red) counter-attack.

Sneak-peek...

chechen1redsn8.jpg

I’ve never tried this form of file-sharing before, so bare with me... MetaFire Shared Folder

Now also availible though CMMods

I plan on creating a series of these to keep myself away from those obscene Strykers and Javelins, and if I don’t get flamed back into the stone age I’ll gladly keep posting them on the forum (seeing how none of the Scenario sites have geared themselves for CMSF). :D

[ February 15, 2008, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: The Louch ]

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhh yes, thank you... forgot to mention... while designed for multiplayer, there is a Blue AI, which does a reasonable job of defending the village. However when I tried making an AI for the Red to attack the village, the best it could do was “get completely and utterly slaughtered”… so I didn’t even bother keeping it.

Hence the scenario is Multiplayer or Red

I have to agree with berli,

these types of battles are much more interesting for me.

I played the scenario, its fun. I think giving the insurgents more ammmo might make the battle even more interesting.

I hope to see more Chechen War battles from you in the future.

I think so too. Iraq was for me a turkey shoot. Iraq armed forces never had a chance. IEDs, suicide bombers and sniper teams hiding among civilians are nothing new. Israelis have been living with them for decades. Now that U.S. is more or less stuck in Iraq they have media value and thus also game value.

Originally posted by stic.man:

I have to agree with berli,

these types of battles are much more interesting for me.

I played the scenario, its fun. I think giving the insurgents more ammmo might make the battle even more interesting.

I hope to see more Chechen War battles from you in the future.

My thoughts exactly, something about taking out an entire armored Coy with a platoon worth of Javelins that I don’t find gratifying… :rolleyes:

Good point with the ammo as well – they do run out a little too quick. Although the limited supply was supposed to represent Rebels as if they just got off a long trek though the mountains and also being far behind the Federal lines. I’ll try it out again in TCP tonight with full supply, and we’ll see how it goes.

[ August 07, 2007, 05:36 AM: Message edited by: The Louch ]

Originally posted by Schmoly War:

You didnt add radios for the Basayev formations I see, though motorola radios were of widespread use and had certain advantages over the russian army ones.

A very valid point, but I don't think we can change things like that... can we?

At the same time you can also argue that Federal troops should have BTR-80s instead of the 60s. As well as sporting some proper armor, such as the titanium "sphere" helmet, instead of the Syrian tin-helmets tongue.gif

And actually this was the whole point of this scenario, to make a “proof of concept” sort of a thing. Just to see how believable the Chechen theater can be recreated with Syrian forces… so far so good, I think.

[ August 07, 2007, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: The Louch ]

This map is very fun. Please make more Red vs. Red. Blue vs. Red is way too easy.

-=spoiler alert=-

I was able to win this one playing red vs. AI but it was pretty hard. I decided to use arty on the Regional control building (which ended up destroying it) :D . Maybe adjust the victory conditions a little bit so it isn't as easy for the Reds to get a total victory when the suffer many casualties.

Tim

Thanks for the comments everyone, really appreciate it!

Originally posted by jomni:

To avoid the "destroy-the-building-and-anything-inside-to-win" tactic. The designer can make the building a protect objective for the attacker. ;)

Actually that's already in, it's worth just as much as actually capturing the building. Even the briefing makes a mention of it. After all, an Administration building is worthless if all the precious logistical paperwork is just a smouldering crater :D

Originally posted by Laptop:

Maybe adjust the victory conditions a little bit so it isn't as easy for the Reds to get a total victory when the suffer many casualties.

To be honest I don't think Russians put all that much value on soldier's lives during the First Chechen War ... heck, I'm not sure they do now.

It's enough to read about the first assault on Grozny (an urban Chechen capital), where 9 out of 10 of all BMPs and Tanks were taken out, many with troops still inside and refusing to get out :eek: ...yet strategically it was still considered a victory.

That’s actually the scenario I’d love to eventually tackle – should make for an intense multiplayer game.

First FUN battle I've had in CMSF! Kudos!

And yeah, the AI did an "adequate" job of defending the village -- but I learned more from this battle than any other one I've played. This would be a great tutorial mission.

One question -- I noticed that I didn't get any points for "Preserve admin Building" and "Preserve Minaret". Yet both buildings were untouched and cleared of enemy forces -- could this be a bug? I mean, the building was quite shot up but it was still standing and the minaret took hardly any damage at all.

Love to see the Grozny map! This makes me want to tackle a scenario. Hmmmmmm.

-- nick

Originally posted by clcaldwell:

One question -- I noticed that I didn't get any points for "Preserve admin Building" and "Preserve Minaret". Yet both buildings were untouched and cleared of enemy forces -- could this be a bug? I mean, the building was quite shot up but it was still standing and the minaret took hardly any damage at all.

I’ve actually encountered this as well. Just did about two dozen scenario reloads applying different types of damage to the admin building in the scenario to try to narrow down what exactly is going on.

One thing for sure – small arms fire contributes very little, if at all, to the “damage” effect. Even after having four BTR-60s unload their 14.2mm auto-cannons for 5min into the building I received full “preservation” points. Same thing after scoring 8 RPG-7 hits. So far so good…

Where it stopped making much sense is when I started using the 120mm Mortars. After a few tests it became pretty obvious that either there is a bug with the way arty adds on damage to the building for the “preservation objective” purposes, or there is some major inconsistencies.

Test #1 – 4 rounds directly targeted at the admin building – 2 roof hits, 2 ground bursts ~5m away from the building – full preservation points given for both the building and the tower.

Test #2 – 4 rounds at the 2-story building 30m away from the admin building – closest hit to admin building at ~10m, closest to tower ~90m – zero preservation points given for the building and the tower.

Test #3 – this was where it really got weird – 20 rounds at that same 2-story – again closest hit to admin building at ~10m, closest to tower ~90m, 2-story gets leveled down – points awarded – half for admin bldg, zero for tower … here’s the screen shot for from it:

preservebugsw0.th.jpg

Does this make any sense to anyone?

Oh, I thought I'd also mention how I approached this scenario.

SPOILER!!!

Well, I took stock of my assets and looked at what I was going to assault.

I felt it was fairly obvious that someone or something would be in the minaret. This however was not so important, at least not initially.

I noticed that I had 2 120 MM mortars and that coincidently there were two small clusters of buildings on each flank of the primary objective.

Noting that these buildings were of little significance, I ordered my Mortars to level them.

I then had all of my infantry move up to the river bed and line up along the edge (slight LoS abstraction allowing) and issued cover arc orders over the central buildings.

I felt confident that any resistance in or around those outlying buildings would be quashed so I ignored them.

Once I felt that I had adequate covering fire, I ordered one squad on my left forward to approach the closest buildings in the central cluster.

After moving perhaps 30 yards they came under heavy fire from the central building and some of the surrounding buildings. This squad was ultimately reduced to 1 single man. I then poured lots of suppressive fire into the buildings, directing direct fire onto targets as they made themselves visible. While I did this I moved two squads up on the right.

I took light casualties as I moved on the right side of the central clump of buildings, until an MG team and an irregular squad opened up from the far right in a two story building. At the same time my sweeping action on the left came under fire from the lone survivor of an RPG team who was stationed in one of the leveled buildings on my left flank.

I was able to pin the MG team and the irregulars on my right with a focused fire with my BTR's. I then resumed the push in from the right into the central buildings. The minaret finally belched to life but was quickly silenced. Taking the administrative building and its surrounding area was achieved easily. The only point of resistance was now that MG team with its supporting irregular infantry in the two story on the right.

Pouring fire in from many directions they finally threw in the towel.

All in all easily the most enjoyable scenario I have played it.

The key I think for me was leveling those flanking buildings. After the battle was over and I reviewed the map it became apparent that had they been left alone I would have taken much more than 4 KIA and 19 wounded ;p

I managed a 'tactical victory' while suffering something like 36 casualties, but I notice the defenders hardly had that to start with.

Suprising how diffuicult a few infantry on the defensive can be to overcome.

Used the full hour, and spent a lot of minutes more or less stationary waiting for mortar rounds to fall.