Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Reinstalled Windows and CMBO + Demo = program is not responding

Getting a VXD error occassionally too. Installed CMBO fresh into a fresh folder, removed and reinstalled my video card.

occassionally CMBO will start but it takes an extra long time to do so, but usually get "program is not responding"

any ideas?

I'll reinstall DX8 but I think I already did so.

-Tiger

Running Windows 98 second edition. VXD error:

0028: c00 300e5 vxd --- called from 0028 : c00300e5 vxd ---

I've removed and reinstalled CMBo in a fresh folder, removed and reinstalled my video card, made sure I have dx8.0a installed.

As soon as I click on the shortcut or cmbo exe directly, it just sits there and after about 5-10 seconds does not respond. Nothing. Hit ctrl-alt-del and it says program not responding. Cancel it and then attempt to restart windows by hitting START ---> shutdown---> restart and that also turns into program not responding. ctrl-alt del 3 times to rebbot.... any ideas?

oh I was also getting a Msgsvr program not responding hold up when hitting ctrl-alt del but I think I have fixed this by uninstalling Ms messenger (dont know how that got installed) I dont get it anymore.

It seems the vxd is a video bios error?

-Tiger

Tiger - how did you "reinstall" Windows ? Was it an install over a previous copy or was it a clean install (Windows was no longer on the hard drive when you installed it) ?

Unfortunately I can't tell a lot from the address numbers in your VXD error. I was hoping for some text that mentioned a particular file name possibly crashing another file name (the three letter extension usually isn't mentioned in the error for the file names). I can only guess that the error is referencing a problem between your video driver and DirectX and CM isn't loading because of this problem.

The "Msgsvr" error is actually a problem with a Windows system file. Something is not responding to it (or it itself is corrupted) and it crashes. I don't think that MS Messenger is the actual culprit there (but it may be a possibility).

When you say that you "uninstalled and reinstalled" your video card are you speaking of the drivers or the physical card itself ? What prompted you to reinstall Windows; were you getting certain errors or lockups ?

This may be a tough pill to swallow, but you may have to perform a clean install of Windows. This can be done by renaming your old Windows directory something like "winold" and then installing Windows to the "windows" directory (during the install process Windows will detect the old directory and attempt to install there by default; you don't want that - make sure to specify the "Windows" directory instead of the "winold" directory). You'll need a DOS CDROM driver (and MSCDEX.EXE) and you'll have to boot to the command prompt to perform the directory renaming (with the "move" command). This way if you feel you're losing too much you can rename your old windows directory back and still have everything. A clean installation will most likely require you to reinstall all of your Windows apps since they make registry changes and add files to Windows and its subdirectories.

A re-partition and reformat was performed; thankfully I was able to copy all my important stuff onto cds with my cd-rom burner.

I had reinstalled win98 second edition updates over the old windows, something that was probably not a good idea in retrospect. Apparently Norton Anti-virus had a problem with this even though it took me through the "new master boot record detected: ignore/delete, etc."

This is the only thing I can think of. Got a squeaky clean system now though the windows updates on a 26.4 modem connection continue into the wee hours tonight tongue.gif

oh well live and learn.

thanks for the help guys.

-Tiger