Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Is Syria behind latest Lebanon bombing?

Sgt Joch

Syria is suspected of being behind today's assassination of journalist and lawmaker Gibran Tueni.

Syria denies involvement in recent hit

"A car bomb Monday killed journalist and lawmaker Gibran Tueni, the latest in a string of assassinations of anti-Syrian figures in Lebanon. A previously unknown group claimed responsibility for the blast, but many quickly accused Damascus in the slaying."
Lebanon blast kills anti-Syria lawmaker

" Lebanese Druze leader Walid Jumblatt all but openly accused Syria of assassinating Tueni."
If true, it's a surprising move, I thought Syria would lay low considering the international scrutiny they are getting over the Hariri assassination.

Even if not organized by Damascus, the faction behind the killing might very well have received resources and training from Syrians in the past. Or then not, how should I know. I don't know more than has been in the news, and since you have obviously seen the news as well, it is pointless for me to even respond, because it would only leave us both unsatisfied, kind of like having sex when having drunk too much.

The Syrians are easily the most obvious culprit, though the action still doesn't seem to make much sense given the eyes of the world are on them.

I tend to rule out Tom Clancey explainations of "it was rogue elements of the CIA trying to make it look like the Syrians", and go more for a vacumn.

A bit like Milosovich in Serbian he didn't so much order genocide as much as loose his grip on the dogs that he had held on a tight leash as he climbed to power.

If the Syrians are loosing control of the various factions, and if the various parts of the opposition satrt down the same path and start loosing control of there own people, then even if groups supposedly on the same side don't start on each other, we could be on a slippery slope.

Like it or not pushing the Syrians out, even though they had overstayed their welcome long ago, might have opened pandoras box.

Back to the law of unintended consequences, or another example of an administration that can't think beyond the next news bullitin.

Peter.

Obviously this was done by BF.C, or at their behest. What better way to stop the carping about hypothetical battles than to precipitate a real one? The problem would be in creating international tensions in _just_ the right way to result in actions mimicking their already created scenarios.

Regards,

Ken